Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Question for the Sako TRG-22\42 owners

I just got my TRG-22 .308 and I've heard that you can mount a harris bipod on it instead of buying the $500 model from sako. I also, just found out that the muzzle brake runs $190 and the mags run $200. So, if I can skimp on the bipod, saving some cash I'm willing to do it.

What model harris bipod???

Any other place to get TRG-22 accessories at a good price???

Thanks guys

I like the TRG series, but the additional extras are pricey. I was not aware that you could mount the Harris bipod on the TRG. I thought that the bipod was mounted on the front of the TRG stock. Diego, will like this reply...did you try to google the information? Please post a range report with that bad boy.

(Delaware County)

Yes it is pricey, but worth it. I narrowed down my rifle collection to the TRG-22 in .308 & Sako75 varmint in .223. So now I have to get the right accessories to have my dream rig. I'm going to put a nightforce Benchrest 8-32x56 on it later.

and a photo of the $500 bipod

That photo is from http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek069.html

And I've seen other people make mention of this option. And in my opion I'd rather have the bipod resting on the stock than the barrel. It relieves the pressure & weight of the rifle off the barrel & shifts it to the stock, so it doesn't have any possibility of affecting accuracy.
    Last edited by dbdbdb; September 17th, 2006 at 06:13 PM.

I looked through the NF benchrest...I like their other scopes better...8x32 is some serious optics. What is your primary use for the TRG? I recently picked up a Steyr SBS Tactical and a Remington 5R. The Steyr has a McMillan A3 on it and it's my first rifle with a McMillan...I see what all the hype is about now.

So why 308 over a 338 Lapua? I dig the 338, but if you don't reload you better have a good job to support that habit.

(Delaware County)

Thank God I do have a good job otherwise I would still be looking at the TRG-22 through the store glass.

I just sold my TRG-S in 7mm rem. mag.

because after shooting 40+ rds. the recoil would start affecting my accuracy. And it would have been more irritating with a 338 Lapua.

I tried a friends .308 {Total blast to shoot}, I also did some ballistics homework comparing the 308 to the 7mm and decided to upgrade or downgrade {Depending on your perspective} to the 308.

I'm looking to compete ultimately in F-Class, using my sako75 out to 300yds and the 308 out to and including 1K. I'm already crack at 300yds, but need to hone my skills out to the 1K mark. Even though I could have used the 7mm for F-Class, the recoil would have been a factor. Plus there isn't much in the way of match-grade factory ammo for the 7mm. In the .308 every variety is available and thanks to places like ammoman, the cost isn't that high.

Now I just have to get my new rig up to the task, which won't be that hard to do. Its a toss-up between the benchrest & the NXS, either one would be a good choice. With NF scopes, its just a matter of finding the best price on the www.

Later & Best Regards

The TRG-S is too light to be shooting the magnum calibers. I saw that SAKO offers the TRG-S in a 338 LM which I think is crazy...because the barrel contour is way too thin to add a muzzlebrake to it and the recoil would just beat you up. I am not a LA fan...so I understand why you went from a 7mm to a 308.

I was looking at the picture with the harris and thought...that's simple...all you need to do is install a swivel stud to your TRG stock and you could add the harris.

(Delaware County)

aubie515, that was the main problem I was having with that rifle, Its a very goog rifle and very smooth, but just a little light. And believe me I don't know how anyone is shooting 338 LM out of it stock. As stated very good rifle, you just have to add a little weight to it to offset the magnum loads.

For those who may be interested to know.
    Harris Adapter 6\6A works with the TRG-22 {Any bipod will do}

Later

Default Re: Question for the Sako TRG-22\42 owners

TRG Bipod doesn't mount to barrel, mounts to aluminium skeleton supporting action & barrel.