Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA LTCF Questions - newbie

Be happy you're not in Allegheny County where it takes at least 3-4 weeks to get your LTCF because the Sheriff here goes above and beyond what is required by state law for your background check.

So, for the other counties, does your sheriff put his name, address, phone number, fax number, and website on the back of the card? How about a watermark of his sheriff's office heraldry on the front?

Cordially,

Eric
    Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
    Nagant M44 carbine 7.62X54R / WASR-10 7.62X39
    Nagant 1875 Revolver 7.62 Nagant / CZ 52 Semi-Auto 7.62x25

2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 custom -1976 Kawasaki KZ400 (project)

well LTCF in hand. The entire process, background check and all, took about 15min and not even 1 question was asked except for "cash or check." I was amazed and a little concerned about the eaze to obtain the permit. I dont plan on carrying very often, esp. with being a grad student here at psu and it being illegal to carry on campus, but it is nice to know that I can if need be.

(Philadelphia County)

i dont think those commiting crimes will be taking the time to apply for a LTCF.

(Indiana County)

I'm in Indiana, and i'm going to go apply tomorow. I'm from this area, but am currently in the Air Force, and am headed to Tampa shortly. So i'm not technically living here, though i do have a pa license and hold my residance here. Hopefully it won't be too painful.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by celisup78 View Post
    well LTCF in hand. The entire process, background check and all, took about 15min and not even 1 question was asked except for "cash or check." I was amazed and a little concerned about the eaze to obtain the permit. I dont plan on carrying very often, esp. with being a grad student here at psu and it being illegal to carry on campus, but it is nice to know that I can if need be.
    Its not illegal to carry on a college campus. The school law only applies to K-12 grade schools whether private or public, and at that there is a justification for "other lawful purposes".

It may be against college rules, but not against the law.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 17th, 2007 at 06:59 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by i8iridium View Post
    I'm in Indiana, and i'm going to go apply tomorow. I'm from this area, but am currently in the Air Force, and am headed to Tampa shortly. So i'm not technically living here, though i do have a pa license and hold my residance here. Hopefully it won't be too painful.
    As long as you have your residence in PA and hold a valid PA driver's license or ID card, you should be able to obtain a permit from the county sheriff in which you reside.

But as always, there are no guarantees. Keep us updated.

And thank you for serving our county!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Its not illegal to carry on a college campus. The school law only applies to K-12 grade schools whether private or public, and at that there is a justification for "other lawful purposes".

It may be against college rules, but not against the law.
    It is amazing how many people believe that it is illegal to carry on a college campus. I just had an argument last weekend over the same thing. Well, not really an argument. Just an informed discussion.

After I convinced him on the college level, I then explained the "other lawful purposes" regarding K-12. According to him, I am crazy.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Penguini66 View Post
    According to him, I am crazy.
    You may be crazy, but you are at least correct.

So if it is not illegal to carry on a college campus but might be against "college rules" then what kind of legal trouble can you get into if, for some reason or another, your concealed weapon is found by someone - i.e. campus police? Can you get into legal trouble if you just leave the campus grounds peacefully? Who determines if your reason for carrying is a "lawful purpose" - you, the officer, a judge? What is considered a lawful purpose - is "self defense" a "lawful purpose?" What other possible reasons? At the moment and no time in the near future do I plan on carrying on campus. I work in a chem lab all day and I have more than enough "weapons" near me and at my disposal if need be.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by celisup78 View Post
    So if it is not illegal to carry on a college campus but might be against "college rules" then what kind of legal trouble can you get into if, for some reason or another, your concealed weapon is found by someone - i.e. campus police? Can you get into legal trouble if you just leave the campus grounds peacefully? Who determines if your reason for carrying is a "lawful purpose" - you, the officer, a judge? What is considered a lawful purpose - is "self defense" a "lawful purpose?" What other possible reasons? .....)

Your confused. The "lawful purpose" defense is part of the law concerning primary education facilities. And it means exactly what it says.
    You are either armed for a purpose that is "lawful" (not against the law per the crimes code, like robbing someone) or your not.

As for campus, it is just like ANY other private property. If ou are "caught" carrying at a campus that does not allow carry (some do not prohibit carry, btw) you will surely be asked to leave. If you do so without argument you are fine. If you refuse you can be charged w/trespass. Also, if the school has rules prohibiting carry you will likely be expelled/kicked out if "caught". Not a legal issue though. Private property rules.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast