Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Virginia, Interesting twist, sanctuary counties, deputies, now county militias.

So we have seen the uprise of sanctuary counties, then deputies by the thousands if need be, now county militias per the Virginia Constitution. This is getting interesting. Apparently they are not taking this lying down and have no intention of becoming another California, New York, and New Jersey.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editori...ueibBxptBRDen8
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Virginia, Interesting twist, sanctuary counties, deputies, now county militias.

phanphrickentastical!!!!
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Virginia, Interesting twist, sanctuary counties, deputies, now county militias.

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    So we have seen the uprise of sanctuary counties, then deputies by the thousands if need be, now county militias per the Virginia Constitution. This is getting interesting. Apparently they are not taking this lying down and have no intention of becoming another California, New York, and New Jersey.

In response to the wave of proposed anti-gun legislation in Virginia, many of its cities and counties have declared themselves Second Amendment Sanctuaries. One county, in particular, took it a step further at their December 3rd County Board of Supervisors Regular Meeting.

In addition to passing their Second Amendment Sanctuary Resolution, the county also passed a Militia Resolution. This resolution formalizes the creation, and maintenance of a defacto civilian militia in the county of Tazewell. And to get a better understanding why the council members passed this resolution, Firearms News reached out to one of its members, Thomas Lester. Mr. Lester is a member of the council, as well as a professor of American History and Political Science.

Firearms News: Councilman Lester, what are the reasons behind passing this new resolution, and what does it mean for the people of Tazewell County?

Tom Lester: We understand the implications of this new resolution are potentially enormous, but we also understand the political importance of making the county a Second Amendment Sanctuary.

Declaring our county a Second Amendment Sanctuary is a great first step, however, Virginia is unique because of its constitution. Under Article 1 section 13 of the VA Constitution, VA must maintain a well-regulated militia composed of its people to validate its authority.

This is the political subdivision of legislature from which VA politicians derive authority - an authority expressly stated in the VA constitution.

This subsection makes it the responsibility of counties to maintain a militia, not a National Guard or other standing army.

This is because the purpose of the militia is not just to protect the county from domestic danger, but also protect the county from any sort of tyrannical actions from the Federal government. Our constitution is designed to allow them to use an armed militia as needed. If the (Federal) government takes those arms away, it prevents the county from fulfilling their constitutional duties. But, this is not limited to just our county, but also as part of a network of sister counties showing solidarity for both Virginia’s, and the American Constitution.

As for the people, our Militia Resolution will be funding firearms safety and training for our county’s citizens, the ROTC and the public school systems - as well as the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. These preparations are done to prepare our citizens to be able to become de facto militiamen if need be.

Constitution of Virginia

Article I. Bill of Rights
    Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power

“That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.”

This is incredible news coming from Virginia, and is likely a move that anti-gun lawmakers and politicians did not expect. While the coming days will likely be difficult for defenders of the Second Amendment in Virginia, it’s reassuring to know there are still staunch supporters willing to stand up the tyrannical actions of anti-gunners in the government. Multiple attorneys are on board, as well as a professor of U.S. government and history.

Look for an expanded article, by Mark Chesnut, on the situation in Virginia regarding over 40 gun-sanctuary counties, as well part two of the story Ignoring Core Purpose Makes 2nd Amendment More Vulnerable to Infringements: The Militia Aspect written by David Codrea.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; December 9th, 2019 at 03:22 AM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Westmoreland County)

The attorney general seems to be unconcerned about this. He's making a big mistake.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    The attorney general seems to be unconcerned about this. He's making a big mistake.
    Why do you say he is unconcerned?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post

And that's a good thing we need Virginia to stay Virginia way too close to home for my taste, Bout time someone drew that line not to cross on our side.

(Carbon County)

Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Why do you say he is unconcerned?
    I was trying to be brief, with the belief that people knew what was going on. So, I will explain. I have a lot on my mind on this subject, and sometimes have a little difficulty putting it all in a concise manner. A lot of times, I skip stuff because it is simpler--else I would write a lot of information. And, it would be difficult (for me) to summarize and organize it. I would need to write it down and edit, then post it on here in order to write something coherent. That's why I try to keep it simple. Since you asked, please take the time to read my explanation.

I am friends with a few Virginia gun owners on Facebook. I have been following this situation regarding the 2nd Amendment Sanctuary Counties. Saying that, I have no expert analysis. This is just from what I am gathering through my limited study of the situation. About half of Virginia's counties have made a declaration of being a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary County. It seems that VA had a low voter turnout, and a lot of turds were elected who are now going to push for gun confiscation laws. Call them what you want, the left wants disarmed citizens. Perhaps there are a few on the left on this forum who would disagree. I'm not here to argue. The facts speak for themselves. "Gun safety" laws are being pushed by the Democrat party. Firearms are constantly demonized. Semi auto AR and AK type rifles are on the ban list. Magazine capacity is on the ban list (and the left is pushing for laws that would end up banning almost all semi auto firearms sold in the U.S.). They (the left) are proposing a slew of new gun laws in VA. When you have, at the current moment, almost half of the counties stating that they will not enforce these new laws, this should send a signal to the people proposing the laws.

I believe the AG of VA thinks that the gun owners in VA will cower when push comes to shove. I say this due to his statements on the matter. Here is a quote from an online article (with a link to the article): “These resolutions have no legal effect whatsoever. It’s really the gun lobby trying to scare a lot of people,” Herring said. “When the General Assembly passes it in the upcoming session, those laws are going to be enforced and they will be followed.” https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-n...ct-whatsoever/

At some point, we are going to have to take a stand against this. If not, we are going to be disarmed. I believe the gun owners in VA are not going to cower when push comes to shove. If the Dems take this too far, I believe that people will be killed (or at least shot) over the matter. This, to me, seems like an extreme position for the lawmakers in VA to take (i.e. willing to have people shot/killed in order to pass their cherished gun laws). When you look at the numbers, gun bans don't make sense. I'm not going to rehash the numbers of murders committed by rifles, or guns in general. This is a gun forum. I would hope that EVERYBODY on this forum is aware of the bullshit spewed by the anti-gun crowd concerning firearm fatalities in the U.S.

Again, the AG of VA stated that "those laws are going to be enforced and they will be followed". To me, this means he is unconcerned. He thinks that gun owners will back down when push comes to shove. If he was concerned, he would see that (at the current time) about half of the counties in VA said they will not enforce these laws. And, he would consider the possibility that armed police will have to forcibly remove the banned firearms from citizens.

Things are going to become real ugly in VA in 2020 if they try to pass these laws. Is it really worth the potential of an armed revolt to take away law abiding people's ability to own the firearms that they choose to own? The majority of firearm deaths are suicides. Next in line (if I am remembering correctly) are drug/gang related killings. Rather than focusing on these two areas (suicides and gangs), the lawmakers are punishing innocent people...with the (seemingly) willingness to kill or jail those people for no reason other than those people like to own firearms. It makes no sense (if you are being reasonable). Now, I have my own theories/opinions as to why the anti-gun crowd wants to disarm the population.

Again, at some point, we are going to have to take a stand. I wish it wasn't coming to this point, but it seems to be. We are going to have to give up a lot if we believe in our Constitutional rights. If we aren't willing to give up our jobs, homes, life, then I fear we will be living under communist rule.
    Last edited by Cville; December 10th, 2019 at 01:23 AM.

The following image ought to give you an idea of what to expect from half or more of the VA counties opposing the proposed legal changes.

I'm sure everyone here has at least heard of the NYS "SAFE" act. The following image shows the counties that passed resolutions opposing the SAFE act.

563844_147013065480478_1866302726_n.jpg

Guess what? Six years later, the SAFE act is going strong, and has even been expanded. Don't expect such resolutions to "send signals" to the people proposing and voting for these laws.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    The following image ought to give you an idea of what to expect from half or more of the VA counties opposing the proposed legal changes.

I'm sure everyone here has at least heard of the NYS "SAFE" act. The following image shows the counties that passed resolutions opposing the SAFE act.

563844_147013065480478_1866302726_n.jpg

Guess what? Six years later, the SAFE act is going strong, and has even been expanded. Don't expect such resolutions to "send signals" to the people proposing and voting for these laws.
    Yes, but I was told NY doesn't have a a1/s21 or 2nd type article in its constitution so there is little or no legal recourse where Virginia does have things listed in it. So unless it goes to the U.S. Supreme Court for review they are screwed and have to live under the total control of NYC and THEIR OPINIONS on how life should be.

The very thought of a handful of locales controlling an entire state or nation is an outrage.

Don't tell me how to live or not live, what to think or not think, who I can marry or not marry, what I can own or not own, whether I can worship a deity or not worship a deity or which one, and I will return the favor in spades!
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast