Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Hoppes No.9 headache!

I started cleaning an M1 this evening in the garage, and after 30 minutes got the worse headache.. One of the few reasons I don't use it more.. I guess I can only really use no.9 in the summer when I can open the doors.

Head still hurts 40 minutes later... any one else ever have this issue with this stuff.. I typically refrain from using it, simply because of this reason but had a dirty gas port I wanted to scrub.

I have some more expensive stuff as many will likely mention, but a bottle and a half of No.9, and figured I would use it on the port..

My fuzzy memory now knows why the bottle looks antique... over 15 years old..
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

Default Re: Hoppes No.9 headache!

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    I started cleaning an M1 this evening in the garage, and after 30 minutes got the worse headache.. One of the few reasons I don't use it more.. I guess I can only really use no.9 in the summer when I can open the doors.

Head still hurts 40 minutes later... any one else ever have this issue with this stuff.. I typically refrain from using it, simply because of this reason but had a dirty gas port I wanted to scrub.

I have some more expensive stuff as many will likely mention, but a bottle and a half of No.9, and figured I would use it on the port..

My fuzzy memory now knows why the bottle looks antique... over 15 years old..
    I clean my guns in the basement. When I do, I put on a fan.

If I clean more than one gun, then I will sometimes get a headache from the stuff. What i do to mitigate this effect is after dipping the cloth in the bottle, I close the bottle and keep it closed until I need it again. Keeping it open will saturate the air with the fumes.

I've heard of some folks using just ballistol to clean. Maybe that could help.

(Allegheny County)

No stink.
    Problem solved.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Tioga County)

I have to immediately put the lid back on the Hoppe's when I use it.

Yeah it's definitely pungent. I avoid using it in the apartment and instead opt to run a patch or three right at the range with the bottle, seal the bottle back up in a bag, roughly dry out the bore and go home for G96 (or CLP).

Pungent... but does a damn good job. I always run a small household fan, and open windows when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

No stink.
    Problem solved.

Oh? what is this fine stuff you got here...

(Perry County)

I make my wife wear it as perfume. I put it in a wax melt warmer to enhance the scent. I rub it on my chest like Vics.

I am a gunslinger.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

It doesn't bother me at all but sometimes I use a fan if other people are around. Although I usually clean with Hoppe's 9, I also use a lot of brake cleaner, and a penetrating oil called Zep 45NC. It does a pretty good job of breaking up crud and rust. Also much cheaper than Hoppe's 9, and functions as a lubricating oil to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I make my wife wear it as perfume. I put it in a wax melt warmer to enhance the scent. I rub it on my chest like Vics.

I am a gunslinger.
    They say a good woman appreciates the smell of Hoppe's 9.
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    Yeah it's definitely pungent. I avoid using it in the apartment and instead opt to run a patch or three right at the range with the bottle, seal the bottle back up in a bag, roughly dry out the bore and go home for G96 (or CLP).

Pungent... but does a damn good job. I always run a small household fan, and open windows when I can.

Oh? what is this fine stuff you got here...

Weapon Shield? It's a modern CLP made right here in PA - not far from Pittsburgh actually.

Met the owner at a group shoot a few years back. He used to offer a free small bottle or oiler pen for the asking - not sure if he still does.

Goes a long way, cleans well enough, protects, lubes, and has a pleasant odor.

Check this link. They have decent prices and various "packages".
    I highly recommend the oil pen. It allows precise application where you want it and reduces wasted lube from applying too much straight from the bottle.

Like Frank's, I put that shit on EVERYTHING.

WEAPON SHIELD
    website
    Last edited by Emptymag; January 24th, 2015 at 12:09 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

My wife likes the aroma of Hoppes 9! Works every bit as well as dinner and a chick flick.
    That said, I get horrible migraines, and a lot of them are triggered by scents. Grandpa used to get them and he came up with a cure. 6 No-Doze tabs washed sown with a liter of Mountain Dew. Works, but you won't be getting any sleep for while. I've tried Excedrin Migraine. Doesn't work for me, but, if you can find a Zee Medical job box, they have Pain-Away. Take three tabs and a Mountain Dew and it kills a migraine. same formula as Excedrin Migraine but one works and the other doesn't , for me anyway.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Weapon Shield? It's a modern CLP made right here in PA - not far from Pittsburgh actually.

Met the owner at a group shoot a few years back. He used to offer a free small bottle or oiler pen for the asking - not sure if he still does.

Goes a long way, cleans well enough, protects, lubes, and has a pleasant odor.

Check this link. They have decent prices and various "packages".
    I highly recommend the oil pen. It allows precise application where you want it and reduces wasted lube from applying too much straight from the bottle.

Like Frank's, I put that shit on EVERYTHING.

WEAPON SHIELD
    website
    I bought some. I was looking for them for 2 years, but didn't remember the name. The shipping was high.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast