Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Arrow pre ban vs post ban AR-15?

What is the differences between the pre-ban and the post-ban AR-15 rifles?

Thanks,

Kevin

Default Re: pre ban vs post ban AR-15?

Quote Originally Posted by kar298 View Post
    What is the differences between the pre-ban and the post-ban AR-15 rifles?

Thanks,

Kevin
    and are the parts interchangable since there is no ban?
    This Space For Rent

(Jefferson County)

The "ban" is no longer in effect.. The former "Post-Ban" firearms can wear any of the goodies that the Pre-Ban and present production can wear.

Interchangeability - depends on the firearm individually.. Some may not have threaded barrels for flash hiders, some may have other "fixes" to keep items from being attached when the ban was in effect.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Interchangeability - depends on the firearm individually.. Some may not have threaded barrels for flash hiders, some may have other "fixes" to keep items from being attached when the ban was in effect.
    ehh, i miss-worded my question...

is it legal to mix and match pre/post ban stuff?

as mentioned before i knew the ban was over, just wondering if the stuff can be mixed and matched...
    This Space For Rent

(Bucks County)

For us in PA there is no difference in what parts you use after the Federal ban expired but there are states (NY,CT, etc) that still have 'assault weapon' bans in place where Prebans still mean something.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Chester County)

When the ban was in effect it meant new "assault weapons" could only have a certain # of "evil features". So rifles like ARs & AKs were made without bayonet lugs, flash hiders and collapsible stocks. Other "assault weapons" had to go sans barrel shroud (you know the shoulder thing that goes up, just kidding), or without there pistol grip, enter the "thumbhole stock", a handy way around the pistol grip thing. Other than these features the rifles were the same as before the ban. Magazines made during the ban could only hold 10 rounds or less, but mags made prior to the ban could still be bought and used in a rifle made during the ban. And there were probably millions of AK & AR mags made before the ban so they were cheap. Others like Glock magazines started getting expensive near the end.

In PA all this means nothing now, except if you bought a rifle made during the ban, now is the time to add that flash hider, put on a bayonet lug and get rid of that thumbhole stock and put on a folder! Or if you rifle is still in orig. ban config you are free to enter states like NY with it b/c they have their own AWB that is still in effect and you can't bring any evil assault weapons there unless they were made prior to 94' or are devoid of the requisite # of evil things.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    ehh, i miss-worded my question...

is it legal to mix and match pre/post ban stuff?

as mentioned before i knew the ban was over, just wondering if the stuff can be mixed and matched...
    Yes, you can mix-match parts as if the law never happened. ..however you can only assemble a semi-auto firearm with no more than 10 foreign made pieces of the ATF defined parts.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

hello im new here i stumbled onto this site by researching some things and this topic fits what i was looking for...i have a couple questions i purchased a used post ban bushmasters from a guy in new york with the fixed (collapsable style but isnt)stock and has the bayonet lug removed and a 10 round clip . thinking it was no problem to use the 2 30 round mags he gave me now im unsure if its legal,if it is currently what happens if Pa passes a law like new york will i not beable to use these mags.im assuming the ones that have the lugs and the flash suppressors and came with 30 rd mags are pre ban and if such a law would pass they would be legal and i wouldnt if i continued using these mags

also i just purchased some center industries 30 rd mags off of gunbroker and came across that they are illegal for civilian use.....these laws are confusing

Quote Originally Posted by paar15 View Post
    hello im new here i stumbled onto this site by researching some things and this topic fits what i was looking for...i have a couple questions i purchased a used post ban bushmasters from a guy in new york with the fixed (collapsable style but isnt)stock and has the bayonet lug removed and a 10 round clip . thinking it was no problem to use the 2 30 round mags he gave me now im unsure if its legal,if it is currently what happens if Pa passes a law like new york will i not beable to use these mags.im assuming the ones that have the lugs and the flash suppressors and came with 30 rd mags are pre ban and if such a law would pass they would be legal and i wouldnt if i continued using these mags

also i just purchased some center industries 30 rd mags off of gunbroker and came across that they are illegal for civilian use.....these laws are confusing
    It is 100% legal in PA to use 30-rounder, 40-rounder, even 100-round beta c-mags. If a new federal Assault Weapon Ban passes we won't be able to buy anymore but everything you already own will most likely be grandfathered in and you'll be allowed to keep using them.

Those mags are USGI mags made for the military but that does not
    necessarily mean they are illegal for civies to own, do they have "US GOV'T PROPERTY" stamped on them? Hell, I own HK AR mags that say "for military/law enforcement/gov't use only" and its completely legal now.

welcome to PAFOA

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yes, you can mix-match parts as if the law never happened. ..however you can only assemble a semi-auto firearm with no more than 10 foreign made pieces of the ATF defined parts.
    thats what gets me, how will anybody know where the parts came from? do they have to be marked "made in usa" ?
    FJB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast