Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Hunting on Moraine State Park/Lake Arthur

i have seen buoys that say 'no hunting' or 'no shooting' in the water just beyond a no wake zone. does anyone have experience hunting on the lake it's self? i live about 15 minutes from it and would love to kill a few geese if im allowed.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hunting on Moraine State Park/Lake Arthur

Check with the local Fish & game commission i guess. I paddle there and have been a little unnerved by the hunters that I paddled past ! Seemed strange to have us altogether like that and I hoped they were respectable hunters!

They were hiding in a camo shelter with decoys on the water on an island near McDanels Launch a few years ago.

(Somerset County)

The park office should have maps and information. From the DCNR website on Moraine State Park:

Hunting and Firearms: About 13,600 acres of Moraine State Park are open to hunting, trapping and the training of dogs during established seasons. Common game species are waterfowl, deer, turkey, grouse, bear, rabbit, pheasant and squirrel. No hunting areas are posted.

A map is available at the park office showing portions of the park open to hunting. No hunting areas are posted.

Hunting woodchucks, also known as groundhogs, is prohibited. Dog training is only permitted from the day following Labor Day through March 31 in designated hunting areas. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Game Commission rules and regulations apply. Contact the park office for ADA accessible hunting information.

Use extreme caution with firearms at all times. Other visitors use the park during hunting seasons. Firearms and archery equipment used for hunting may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner's car, trailer or leased campsite. The only exception is that law enforcement officers and individuals with a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms may carry said firearm concealed on their person while they are within the park.

Dale

(Lawrence County)

Map for you:
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...cnr_003617.pdf

It has the hunting areas marked in the map legend. Most of the park is open to hunting everywhere except the picnic areas pretty much... Some is archery only...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    ...I paddle there and have been a little unnerved by the hunters that I paddled past ! Seemed strange to have us altogether like that and I hoped they were respectable hunters!....
    Hunting is not incompatible with most other forms of recreation. I bike, hike, canoe, kayak, mountain bike, etc. and never have had a problem with hunters. There are two problems could I envision though...make sure you have bright colors (preferably orange) so they can see you and I would really hesitate to trail ride on a horse in the gun season if the horse is not accustomed to the gunshots.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Allegheny County)

i can't differ the shades of green in the map provided...looks like picnic areas are no hunting and the rest is archery only??? shades of green are very similar

(Somerset County)

They are hard to tell apart sometimes. Real maps may be easier. Looks to me like the archery only area is around the Game Propagation Area. And some of the bays/inlets are no hunting. But don't hold me to that. Best bet is to ask at the park office or find a ranger.

Dale