Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Taurus TCP - Not a Happy Camper

I had been looking for a pocket .380 for a while. Did some research and all of the options had their issues, but the TCP had a great price, decent reviews, lifetime warranty and the slide locked back after the last round. Couple months ago, I saw a great deal on a Taurus TCP .380 at a LGS. Fate told me 100% that this was the gun to get - purchased in July.

Fast forward to this past Wed. - I finally get some time to get to the range and try this thing out. Gun came with 2 mags. - 6 and 8 rounder. Well, the 8 round must have an issue. Every time I used it, at some point, the slide would lock back after a shot and not load a new round into the chamber. I thought maybe the gun just needed to be broken in, but then I switched to the 6 round and had no issues whatsoever.

Another problem I encountered while shooting, I noticed the takedown pin or what Taurus calls the "Disassembly Latch" start coming out while shooting. I had already shot about 30 rounds or so and then noticed this starting to happen. So, I just pushed it back in and finished what I had in the magazine. Took the gun apart, didn't see anything except that the pin was very easy to take out. I cleaned the gun when I first got it and didn't remember this pin being that easy to pull out. If anyone has a TCP, you know what I'm talking about.

I decided to continue shooting and see what happens. During each session, the pin worked it's way out, at some point during a 6 round mag. The pin would come out randomly, sometimes after one shot, three shots or a full 6 shot mag. I simply would just push it back in if it came out. Conclusion - this gun is messed up.

I call Taurus yesterday and am on hold for 45 minutes before someone finally picks up - so already I'm not in a good mood. The CS rep was ok, but seemed inexperienced and sounded like she was reading off cue cards - not very personal. She put me on hold three times because she said she had to discuss my issues with someone. Finally it was decided that the gun and 8-rd mag needed to be sent back. The 8-rd mag would be replaced with a 6-rd mag because they evidently don't make the 8-rd anymore. Fine, I only planned on using the 8 rounder for practice sessions. She goes through all the technical jargon and gets to the part where she says I can ship the gun to them via UPS or Fed EX. "Hold on there," I said, "I have to pay to have this shipped to you." Yes sir, she said, we pay to ship it back to you, but the customer needs to pay to have it sent to us. I told her, I don't think that's fair, this gun is brand new and has multiple issues and I have to pay money out of my pocket to have this sent back. Can I speak to a supervisor about this. She puts me on hold, again, and I sit for about 5 minutes. The same CS rep comes back on the line and says that all supervisors are currently busy, so I'll just authorize a shipping label for you. That'd be great I said. Email for the shipping label came within five minutes.

Sorry for the long post. I just hope Taurus fixes the problem the first time. I've read stories where people have sent guns back for warranty work multiple times until problems are fixed correctly. If anyone is interested, I'll update when I get the gun back.

Smile Re: Taurus TCP - Not a Happy Camper

Years ago when I got a gun that was so problematic as you described I would cut my losses and trade it off to a dealer and giving the dealer the reasons that I was tradeing it ! All MFGs can experience issue but when they surrmount like you describe,it goes off to the dealer and he gets the gun re-worked ! Hopefully not re selling it to some un suspecting buyer,this is when you know you have a reputable dealer ! JMO/MDT

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Taurus TCP - Not a Happy Camper

How long did they say the turn around time was? I shipped them one a few years back and was told 8 weeks. Exactly 8 weeks after they received it I got an email saying it was ready to be shipped back. They did fix my problem so I have good hope for you too.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lancaster County)

I had A TCP for two years and never had any issues with the pin, sorry to hear you are. I also never had an 8 round mag. I did have problems with LRN ammo, especially the cheap re-manufactured stuff. I consistently had good results with PMC FMJ and Hornady critical defense rounds. I know a lot of people that had problems with their TCP but mine ran pretty good. I only sold it as I was consolidating calibers and the 380 lost out to 38s.

As for the postage, It sucks i know. I did customer service for a national company for years and they had the same policy, you ship it to us, we ship it to you. Not the best policy I agree.
    Sit down! You'll never clear leather.

(Chester County)

CS Rep said about 4 - 6 weeks. I've read that some get theirs back sooner, later or right at the expected time frame. I'm not too concerned about the wait, I primarily carry a S&W M&P Shield, which by the way has been great. I just want it fixed and fixed correctly the first time.

(York County)

From what I remember over the years is that Taurus products and customer service is, "hit or miss", and sometimes the misses are pretty bad.
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

(Montgomery County)

This is one of the byproducts on shopping with price as the prime motivation. Evidence of price being the primary motivation is in the second sentence, the very first quality mentioned that was a positive for the TCP was "price." Caveat emptor is the phrase that applies.

Price is always a consideration, yet it should not be the first and most important consideration when choosing a tool that is intended to defend ones life. I would suggest that quality and reliability be the sought after attributes well before price.

Far too many times people try to pinch pennies while completely missing the whole picture. Ammo for a .380 costs more than 9x19 and a serious defensive pistol should be shot extensively. Over the course of a year or two the ammunition cost should far outweigh the cost of the pistol. Add to that extra magazines, holsters and other accessories to make it work "just right" for the user the cost really climbs.

Taurus makes shit guns, period. Some people are fans of Taurus and most of this is due to the cost of entry and their specific budgets. Taurus suffers from the tri-fecta of issues that no gun company should tolerate, poor build quality, weak engineering and terrible customer service.

I shoot more than most people (not all) and I have never seen a Taurus product I wanted to buy. You will also not see many used in IDPA, three gun or steel challenge!

I know this is a bit of a rant and I really did not go down the rabbit hole of why I think .380 is unnecessary and the opposite of cost effective...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

For me - I wouldn't touch a Taurus striker fired semi. I owned one, a PT145 Pro and it was a piece of junk. I own a few revolvers, and a PT940 (hammer) and have had no issues. I hear the old Beretta 92 styles were pretty much a Beretta because they were made at an old Beretta plant that Taurus bought in South America - not sure if they still are - I know Beretta eventually sued Taurus/Rossi to cease and desist. I have heard many say their 1911's are good too - but ?
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Bucks County)

Hope all that didn't turn an unhappy camper into a suicidal camper.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    For me - I wouldn't touch a Taurus striker fired semi. I owned one, a PT145 Pro and it was a piece of junk. I own a few revolvers, and a PT940 (hammer) and have had no issues. I hear the old Beretta 92 styles were pretty much a Beretta because they were made at an old Beretta plant that Taurus bought in South America - not sure if they still are - I know Beretta eventually sued Taurus/Rossi to cease and desist. I have heard many say their 1911's are good too - but ?

TCP is hammer fired.
    Avoid models with an "A" serial (although my dads "A" runs good.
    They are made in Florida.
    Mine "B" has run very well since I bought it.
    It doesn't like steel cases though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast