Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Felons and Guns

(York County)

Default Felons and Guns

This is a pretty touchy subject to most but, it needs to be discussed.... So as it stands federally if you get a felony charge, you can no longer own or possess a gun. That is unless its a DUI, and then nobody seems to care... The word felony sounds really bad, and I'm sure most assume murder, or bank robber... Thats not always the case though.
    My story:
    I was an avid hunter, and was the grandson to a talented gunsmith ( I grew up with a gun). I know how to handle them, and enjoy using them. Long story short, I started a business without doing all of my homework and was met with police and charges of theft because of a non-compete agreement that was signed with previous employer. Anyways, this was 2 years ago, I did what I had to, and moved on. I now have felony thrft charges even though, I didn't steal anything, just threated some larger corperations money. Yeah, hard to believe that happens in the USA, huh? So now I cant own or possess a gun and had to get rid of a very large collection. I feel like my rights are being violated as well as the ability to feed/defend my family. I got to searching and saw alot of people support this law... I just want to know why? These same people actually pushed legislators to allow DUI felony indoviduals to restore their gun rights... Unbelivable right? Its cool for a drunk to have a gun, but not someone else? I'm not the only person in this boat, and I'm sure not ever felon is a murderer. So wouldn't a ban on violent crimes be more proactive? But then again people do change... This is a pretty messed up system that we live in, and allow to grow... As you all know our voice does not matter at all. Hell, we dont even get a say on which road crew gets our tax money locally... Even if every single person was in agreeance with me, it wouldnt change a thing... Just simply something to think about, and possibly make strides to change, because after all, nobody will listen to a felon...

Default Re: Felons and Guns

Iraqveteran8888 had a gun gripe episode about this very subject. In terms of legal advice I would advise contacting a lawyer. My personal, libertarian opinion on the matter is that perpetrators of non-violent felonies (extortion, theft, embezzlement, DUI, etc) should have their rights restored after they have served time and re-contributed to society.

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    Iraqveteran8888 had a gun gripe episode about this very subject. In terms of legal advice I would advise contacting a lawyer. My personal, libertarian opinion on the matter is that perpetrators of non-violent felonies (extortion, theft, embezzlement, DUI, etc) should have their rights restored after they have served time and re-contributed to society.
    It has always been my opinion that if a convicted person is allowed by law to be released unsupervised into society then they should be allowed access to firearms for legal purposes.

Your situation, it appears, is based on the laws and perception of of society as it stands today.
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member! Same sex marriage is an oxymoron!

(Luzerne County)

I only read what came before "hard to believe, huh?"
    Honestly, all I needed..

I am a non-violent offender.. Got a DUI at 37 years old.. Embarrassing, yes, regrettable, yep..
    The system gives u a chance to erase this egregious error for a price of time, pride, and of course copious amounts of money!!

I consider myself fortunate to have erased this from my permanent record thru the ARD program and expungmemt...

That being said,

"I didn't steal nuthin, just Felony threatening!!"
    Um, ya, pretty easy to believe that your prohibited!!
    Not to mention the fact that for some reason, u think that a violent FELONY like yours is somehow less egregious than another non violent one, is , well, absurd!!

Good luck in your endeavor sir, maybe someone here will be more sympathetic to your plight!!

And your lack of punctuation and respect for sentence and paragraph structure is maddening to me, LMFAO..

(York County)

I know several 'felons' not allowed to own a gun, technically.

Not a single one of them is someone I'd hesitate to have own a gun.

The law is simply stupid on this point, failing to distinguish between cattle-rapers and child-torturers vs. some guy who 'administratively' had a felony due to oversight / understandable circumstances.

KC
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

I am surprised that a non-compete restriction requirement of employment, seemingly a civil contract, has been converted to a criminal charge of theft when, by your description, you may have committed an overt act towards violating the clause, but did not receive stolen product of the violation. I am wondering by what mechanism it crossed over from civil to criminal. As criminal, how did it rise above attempted theft? Sounds like someone bamboozled you with what at the time looked like an easy way out of something you were not even guilty of.

I good friend of mine is a felon, burned a barn down at 18, he now 52.
    I'd let him have a gun anytime. He deer hunts every year, with a rifle,
    just for the food.

Quote Originally Posted by 09polaris View Post
    Honestly, all I needed..

I am a non-violent offender.. Got a DUI at 37 years old.. Embarrassing, yes, regrettable, yep..
    The system gives u a chance to erase this egregious error for a price of time, pride, and of course copious amounts of money!!

I consider myself fortunate to have erased this from my permanent record thru the ARD program and expungmemt...

That being said,

Not to mention the fact that for some reason, u think that a violent FELONY like yours is somehow less egregious than another non violent one, is , well, absurd!!

Good luck in your endeavor sir, maybe someone here will be more sympathetic to your plight!!

And your lack of punctuation and respect for sentence and paragraph structure is maddening to me, LMFAO..
    Maybe you should hop off that high horse, reread the op and render an apology to Madnezz.

I agree with many on this forum, safe enough not to be behind bars, then safe enough to have all rights restored.

Welcome to poofa Madnezz.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Lancaster County)

I’m another that thinks prohibition is bs. I think it causes more harm than any possible good. And the good is highly unlikely and just feel good regulation. It’s effing stupid

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 09polaris View Post
    Honestly, all I needed.

I believe he said " all he threatened was their money". The threat being he was a competitor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast