Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default False information alleged of Trout Run man who tried to buy guns in Mansfield

September 12, 2014
    Williamsport Sun-Gazette

MANSFIELD - Ralph Stanley Faivre, 76, of 2018 Frenchtown Road, Trout Run, was accused of giving false information in the sale of a firearm and unsworn falsification to authorities May 6.

According to court documents, Faivre allegedly attempted to purchase a Weatherby Vanguard 52 bolt-action rifle at Cooper's Sporting Goods and lied on the Department of Justice form required to buy the firearm.

In 1961, Faivre was convicted of felony larceny and sentenced to one-year probation, an offense that would prohibit him from purchasing a firearm.

A preliminary hearing will be held Sept. 24 in front of District Judge James E. Carlson.

http://www.sungazette.com/page/conte...id/617145.html
    MikeP

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: False information alleged of Trout Run man who tried to buy guns in Mansfield

Oh good. The feds are finally doing their job. They're going after a 76 yr old man who committed a crime 53 years ago for lying on a form.

That should keep an illegal gun off of the street.

My $$ says that at 76, he forgot about the crime and conviction from 53 years ago.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

Default Re: False information alleged of Trout Run man who tried to buy guns in Mansfield

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    Oh good. The feds are finally doing their job. They're going after a 76 yr old man who committed a crime 53 years ago for lying on a form.

That should keep an illegal gun off of the street.

My $$ says that at 76, he forgot about the crime and conviction from 53 years ago.

Yep, that, and he's been hunting for the last 53 years too...hopefully he keeps his mouth shut.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

I know it's not exactly a popular opinion here, but I do believe there should be time limits for how long you give up Constitutional rights after committing a crime. People make mistakes. People learn from them. The fact that he is being nailed for something that occurred in 1961 is beyond idiotic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I know it's not exactly a popular opinion here, but I do believe there should be time limits for how long you give up Constitutional rights after committing a crime. People make mistakes. People learn from them. The fact that he is being nailed for something that occurred in 1961 is beyond idiotic to me.
    I agree. I can't see that many people would object to a 20 year period with a clean record as a start. That would allow for young people (notice I'm not singling out men) to make a mistake and be able to later protect their family.

(McKean County)

I have posted about this before - in theory, once you have fulfilled your punishment of a crime you should be returned to the citizen status you had before. Unfortunately, prisons are more like felon schools, lately it seems (I have only opinion on this, no first-hand experience) that graduates have a better understanding of how to accomplish and how to get away with their future crimes, and less desire to reform. It would be nice to be able to count on the prison system to reform and rehabilitate properly, but I think that is a pipe dream.

But I agree that a non-repeat offender whose only history is a single 50 year old non-violent crime (I assume due to the probation-only sentence) should be past some sort of statute of limitations.
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Lancaster County)

How about if you lose one you lose them all?

(Lawrence County)

I don't see why you should give them up at all. You make a mistake (or maybe it wasn't a mistake, either way), you pay for it and you move on. If you're not safe enough to own a firearm then they shouldn't let you out of prison.

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    I agree. I can't see that many people would object to a 20 year period with a clean record as a start. That would allow for young people (notice I'm not singling out men) to make a mistake and be able to later protect their family.
    How about rape, murder and child molestation? Well he served 20 yrs in prison for molesting a child so he should have a clean record right?
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Philadelphia County)

I agree, I think most people are on the middle ground on this issue. That's why we have a pardons process.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast