Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glock 19 vs S&W MP 9mm

I'm sure this thread won't generate discussion or debates (or even comments!), but I just felt compelled to share.

I'm trying to determine which 1st handgun to purchase, so I headed down to French Creek Outfitters today to test the Glock 19 vs the S&W MP. When last I shot the two guns I remembered preferring the Glock, however now I'm not so sure about that.

I put about 35 rounds through the Glock, and about 65 through the S&W. A few things that stood out to me:

1. The Glock's trigger safety really didn't bother me at all, however I was more comfortable with the trigger on the S&W.
    2. While I don't think the recoil is any different btwn the two guns, the way the S&W grips fit my hand made it much easier to get back on target quickly.
    3. I realized I prefer the 3 dots sights over the standard Glock sights.

As I said, not much worth commenting on, but since my entire reason for shooting the two was to gauge which I was more comfortable holding and firing, I'd say today was a success. I'll try a few other models, but for now I have to give the S&W a slight edge.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Glock 19 vs S&W MP 9mm

I was at the range a week ago shooting a S&W M&P9 and the fellow next to me let me shoot his Gen4 G17. I was pleasantly surprised with the G17, both in its accuracy and how it felt in the hand. Good luck in your search!

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: Glock 19 vs S&W MP 9mm

nothing wrong with either choice. it comes down to personal preference. sounds like the m&p might be the way to go. thankfully we have lots of choices to choose from because we are all definitely different in our likes and dislikes. happy shopping, it,s part of the fun. red dog

(Montgomery County)

Either one would be a fine choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    3. I realized I prefer the 3 dots sights over the standard Glock sights.
    You would want to replace the stock plastic Glock sights in any case for something more durable, or get the G19 with factory nights sights (which are three dot).

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Glock 19 vs S&W MP 9mm

out of the 8 glocks i have i have only replaced one rear sight because of damage. that was a first gen adjustable site that was starting to break at the hinge point. what i can,t believe is it took 15 years for it do it. if it is not broke do not fix it.

I'd take the M&P9. My hands get along well with the M&P's ergos but not with the Glock's lack thereof. I think if the pistol fits you well, you'll get more out of it in terms of usability.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    out of the 8 glocks i have i have only replaced one rear sight because of damage.
    It's not the rear sight that I worry about. The front sight is more durable since they switched from stake-on to screw-on, but my advice is still to replace the plastic sights with metal ones. Glock OEM steel replacements in the stock sight pattern go for around $20. (If you want to replace just the front sight, it's only $10.) It's cheap insurance.

(These are armorer's prices - resellers may be slightly higher.)

(Pike County)

Love my M&P 9. Accurate, reliable, feels good in my hands and it's 100% American. Can't beat that.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Glock 19 vs S&W MP 9mm

no doubt the metal factory sites are beefier, i keep them in stk. for the $ i think glock should just use them to start with. funny part though is i have yet sold any to my glock customers. this tells me they are not having any problems. the majority of the glock sight work i do is installing night sights. about 50% on the nights i install are glock factory, the other 50% is split up between misc. manufacturers. albeit tru-glo sights are starting to out run some of the other brands. this is probably a mute point since shadowline seems to be leaning to the s&w anyhow.
    Last edited by red dog; November 20th, 2011 at 11:22 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Its like comparing apples to apples. Whichever one you get will be fine. Just dont look back. No reason to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast