Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Another Maryland question

Each winter my family rents a home in Maryland for a week. My reading tells me that the usual non-MD resident rules apply to transporting except "This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, ...". The quote is from an NRA-ILA web site. Has anyone got a reference for a PA resident who rents a house in MD and whether or not it is legal to have an otherwise legal handgun? That is, I am looking for sources as to whether or not this vacation rental qualifies as a residence or the renting of a house? The MD laws are quite clear about transport, possession, and carrying of handguns but not on this subject.

If you have a source, can you forward it please? I spent way too much time searching this and I can't be the first person who has run across this.

thanks,

grumpa72

email grumpa72@gmail.com

(Berks County)

Default Re: Another Maryland question

So I would assume in the very best circumstances that if you took your handgun with you you would be held under the same standards as a permanent resident which means that you would need to register your handgun. Also, renting is not the same as owning or leasing as renting is generally under a 30 day commitment. I would think that you would be violating the "brief stop" portion of the law but I'm just some schmuck on the internet. Weigh the options and make a choice. In an act of desperation you could call the sheriff or the local PD but then you are just putting yourself on the radar. Good luck but if I was renting a place were I thought the advantages of having a potentially "illegal" weapon outweighed the benefits of not having it I would look for another rental property in a better are lol... If you come up with some solid information please share it because I am curious.

(Allegheny County)

Jason, your points are well made and I have wrestled my way through some of the same questions and come to similar answers. Although I don't know if renting and leasing are different in MD, it has troubled me not knowing. I think the last place to ask is the police/sheriff so as to say off of the radar.

Still working on this.

Thanks

Just get a Maryland permit....oh wait.

I hate my state

NOBODY

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NOBODY View Post
    Just get a Maryland permit....oh wait.

I hate my state

NOBODY
    Well, hopefully, if the recently passed US House reciprocity bill is passed in the Senate we might get relief. Oth, it won't do me any good over the holidays!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
    Each winter my family rents a home in Maryland for a week. My reading tells me that the usual non-MD resident rules apply to transporting except "This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, ...". The quote is from an NRA-ILA web site. Has anyone got a reference for a PA resident who rents a house in MD and whether or not it is legal to have an otherwise legal handgun? That is, I am looking for sources as to whether or not this vacation rental qualifies as a residence or the renting of a house? The MD laws are quite clear about transport, possession, and carrying of handguns but not on this subject.

If you have a source, can you forward it please? I spent way too much time searching this and I can't be the first person who has run across this.

thanks,

grumpa72

email grumpa72@gmail.com
    Just an opionio, take it or leave it. Renting a home for a week is the same as staying at a hotel for a week. It doesn't make you a resident. Or allow you to possess a handgun in MD.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Just an opionio, take it or leave it. Renting a home for a week is the same as staying at a hotel for a week. It doesn't make you a resident. Or allow you to possess a handgun in MD.
    I agree.
    I dont condone breaking any laws, but I sure the hell dont condone being unarmed either.
    I visit Bmore a couple times a year, and you can bet your ass I take some "tools" with me.
    Crazy things happen in Maryland to good people.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I agree.
    I dont condone breaking any laws, but I sure the hell dont condone being unarmed either.
    I visit Bmore a couple times a year, and you can bet your ass I take some "tools" with me.
    Crazy things happen in Maryland to good people.
    Geesh ... what are you worried about? Baltimore isn't on the list as the most dangerous city in the US. It's way down the list ... at #2.

(Allegheny County)

I read a published report that MD sheriffs/police were doing stops on out of state travelers and we all know that bringing unwanted "tools" can be dangerous to one's health if stopped. Guess I will drive safely, carefully and perhaps even leave me tools at home. :{

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
    I read a published report that MD sheriffs/police were doing stops on out of state travelers and we all know that bringing unwanted "tools" can be dangerous to one's health if stopped. Guess I will drive safely, carefully and perhaps even leave me tools at home. :{
    What part of Maryland is this house in?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast