Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: long term walther pps reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    Please note that "constant load", as in "carrying it loaded" does NOT equal "continuously cyclic loading", as discussed in the article you linked to. Constant or static load does not change the compression of the spring, it is just keeping it compressed at one fixed setting. There is no fatigue to be expected from that spring. The continuously cyclic loading, the article is about, is a situation where the compression of the spring is changing all the time, like if you load and unload your mag 20 times a day for 3 years.

Jan
    You are correct, and my attempts to insert 0 in (for no cyclical loading) failed when I got lazy. It just doesn't make sense though, everything i can think of that had a spring in it long term has become weaker over time. Magazines, spring loaded airsoft guns, and other things i can't think of. My experience with the magazines defiantly leads me to believe they do weaken over time. I can't find any detailed site about springs that mentions it, either that they do weaken or don't. how about your sources to clear this up?

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by MontCo Alex View Post
    You are correct, and my attempts to insert 0 in (for no cyclical loading) failed when I got lazy. It just doesn't make sense though, everything i can think of that had a spring in it long term has become weaker over time. Magazines, spring loaded airsoft guns, and other things i can't think of. My experience with the magazines defiantly leads me to believe they do weaken over time. I can't find any detailed site about springs that mentions it, either that they do weaken or don't. how about your sources to clear this up?

-Alex
    On this topic (spring failure), there have been epic battles like this one: http://yarchive.net/gun/spring_fatigue.html. I really have no need to be a pawn in a replay.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Chester County)

I've only had mine for about 2 weeks and put 50 rounds through it but it worked flawlessly!

I used 115gr American Eagles as the ammo as that's all the store had.

I too had reservations before buying the PPS but reading on http://ppstalk.com/forum/ helped to alleviate my reservations.

This post in particular was very helpful in my ultimate decision to buy one.

I'll post more as I put more rounds through the pistol.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    When I buy a gun and it doesn't work properly I get rid of it. I don't want something that has manufacturers defects that need to be fixed. I will also trash that manufacturer at will for selling me a POS gun without giving them a chance to make it right. They had that chance at the factory and apparently their quality control sucks. I understand some guns do require a short break in period which I consider normal, but if it doesn't work right it's gone.
    Impressive. Sooner or later you'll run out of manufacturers to buy from, because I don't know of any who don't put out a bad one now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    When I buy a gun and it doesn't work properly I get rid of it. I don't want something that has manufacturers defects that need to be fixed.
    How do you know for sure that the problems are caused by some defect of the product? Pilot error is impossible in your case?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Thumbs up Re: long term walther pps reviews

I have owned the PPS second edition for about a year now and have fired several hundred rounds through it. I did have it jam on me once when I first fired it, but has been reliable ever since. I have read several issues about the PPS, but they seem to be more related to the first edition. I now use it as my primary conceal weapon.

(Cumberland County)

Ive been looking at the PPS along with the XD9mm subcompact. Ive handled them both but havent shot either. Going by the research ive done through this site and others along with the handling of both, in my opinion the XD has it head and shoulders over the PPS. Just a suggestion form your own opinion. Good luck.
    If you can't shoot straight, shoot often!

I have about 900 rounds through my PPS now and I had my first malfunction yesterday. I was shooting White Box FMJ 165 gr. and I had a casing fail to eject completely. It got caught sideways in the ejection port as the slide came forward. It may have been due to limp wrist as I was trying to experiment with different amounts of grip force.

Otherwise I had been very happy with my PPS. It's main purpose is CC and it does a wonderful job. It isn't a great range gun and if you put more than 200 rounds through it at the range, you're hand will start to hurt.

Has the OP decided on a firearm? This thread is over 6 months old.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta001 View Post
    Ive been looking at the PPS along with the XD9mm subcompact. Ive handled them both but havent shot either. Going by the research ive done through this site and others along with the handling of both, in my opinion the XD has it head and shoulders over the PPS. Just a suggestion form your own opinion. Good luck.
    I'm impressed with your ability to make such a cogent evaluation without ever firing or carrying either gun and without addressing the differences between them that may make one more suitable than the other depending upon dress style, use or mode of carry.

Last edited by mikey; February 1st, 2010 at 11:47 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast