Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart

(Chester County)

Default Walmart

walmart has officially lost all of my hunting and fishing business. i wanted to go shooting yesterday after work so i grabbed my 22mag and found that i had no ammo left. no problem ill just run to the walmart in morgantown and get a box real quick and be on my way. i stop in there and the guy behind the counter had no clue what a .22mag looked like. i had to walk around and point them out to him. finnally i walk back around to pay for them and he tells me i have to be 21 to buy them (im 20) i inform him that hes wrong and PA law says i have to be 18 to buy them. he tells me that the computer says 21. i say i can go anywhere else in PA and get them. and he looks me right in the face and says "well youre gunna have to go some where else i cant sell them to you."

i hate stores that put their own age limits on thing. dicks sporting goods will not sell me 9mm bullets even if i can prove its for a rifle.

can stores really put there own age limits on ammo? it feels like theyre taking away my rights

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Walmart

Yes they can... In reality I'm suprised they even noticed, most wal mart clerks Just key through those warnings. Apparently you got a prick...

As far as wal mart is concerned, they don't want to violate federal law, so they enter these checks into the computer, either someone screwed up by not counting the .22mag as a rifle only caliber or the clerk skipped the "is this for a handgun" question.

BTW if you are ever asked if it is for a pistol when buying 9mm or other pistol rounds, just tell them "sub machine gun" and watch what they do with that...

I've done that, and the clerks face was precious...

(Westmoreland County)

I was at the North Versailles Walmart on Saturday to buy ammo. My friend and I pick up a few cases a staple gun and a hoagie, pay for it and walk out of the store. As I'm going through the lobby, people start hollering "Hey, that lady is talking to you." I generally ignore people but didn't even notice the lady. I turn around and she's saying sternly "I need to see your receipts." I asked why and she says that I triggered the alarm, which I didn't hear. I give her my receipts and she's looking through it and says "What's this?" and points to my .45ACP ammo. I told her it was ammo and she says "Oh, that's why." I inquired why I'd be getting beeped for buying ammo and she says that ammo is always flagged.

WTF? Why is ammo flagged? Essentially, I was searched. Not really but my receipts were and I don't discern between my possesions and my person.

I hate Walmart and have always hated Walmart there're just aren't any other options at the time I was going.

What the hell is this about? Why is ammo flagged? Could I have told the lady to **** ***? I wanted to punch her in the goddamn face when she said it was the ammo. I'm no thief and outside of a pack of gum when I was 4 or 5, I've not stolen anything in my life.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

THC,
    No problems for me the other day.
    I bought a 100 rd "value pack" of .40 cal Winchester White Box not more than two days ago at the same Wal-Mart. I'm guessing you must purchase ammo at the sporting goods counter. (I didn't ask, I just paid there since I was only buying the ammo)

Oh, I forgot... this may have been the difference - After I paid at the sporting goods counter, my wife came back and said she wanted to look in lawn and garden for plants. We picked up some stuff, put it in the cart (with my paid for bag of ammo) we checked out at the garden center and I just carried my bag containing the ammo as well as the other purchased items out the garden center exit saying "have a good one" to the gentleman "standing guard".

The ammo probably wasn't flagged. It was probably a new facial recognition monitoring system that identifies pafoa members. My face must have been obscured by the plants I was carrying.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lawrence County)

I won't quit buying from Wal-Mart....

Wal-Mart won't suffer from losing the small sporting goods business it does.

It is better that Wal-Mart see an increase in ammo sales to keep guns in the mainstream focus of the public and not as some fringe activity.

Lycanbeanexamplethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I won't quit buying from Wal-Mart....

Wal-Mart won't suffer from losing the small sporting goods business it does.

It is better that Wal-Mart see an increase in ammo sales to keep guns in the mainstream focus of the public and not as some fringe activity.

Lycanbeanexamplethrope
    I agree, I'll keep buying ammo there, I can't seem to find Win White 100 round box anywhere else for the price they charge.

That said I hate Walmart, for other reasons, I'm union and they have put a lot of union folks out of work. Companies like ACME just can't compete when wally opens a super mart. Enough said don't want to stray off topic here.

sobercantfindbetterpriceforammobyker

A few yrs ago I went to wally world to buy a knife SHEATH for a fold up knife I have. The guy at the sporting goods counter rung it up and started to laugh ,I asked him what was so funny.
    He told me it says here "on the register" that I need to be 18.
    I told him wally world could keep their knife SHEATH

(Indiana County)

I didnt buy this at Wal-mart but I had an intresting experience with those stupid age requirements. I was buying some .30 M1 Carbine for my M1 Carbine the one day at a gun shop that had a indoor range. I had just shot some ammo there and the lady had seen me in there firing my weapon. I had it in hand as I went to purchase my ammo. SHe said "have to be 21 to buy ammo for a handgun" i was like ok, but this is for a rifle. "Well how do I know it isnt for a handgun." Uhh, its for a rifle I have it in this RIFLE case!!!. "Oh, well ok then." What an idiot. I know some pistols are chambered for .30 M1 Carbine but when I'm holding an M1 Carbine, does it look like a pistol????

Man, you got a prick. They should have asked pistol or rifle. For pistols, you have to be 21. For rifles, its 18.

I run into this a lot. I have to have my girlfriend or my dad with me to buy any ammo, even .177 PELLETS. They don't even want to let little kids have bb guns anymore it seems. I guess I really will lose my eye...

(Montgomery County)

I worked at Wally World for about 8 months. Sporting goods was part of my area. One night I was handling the sale of a rifle when the would be buyer fail the background check. So I told him I could not sell him the gun. He blew up on me about how I was some sort of commie pinko for going along with 'the man'.

So then the wife said that she would buy the gun. I told her that I could not because that was a straw purchases. They both went off on me but I held firm. So they ask to speak to my manager. I said that I could do that and would be glad to call him.

My manager wanted me to sell the wife the gun. I refused and he ordered me to do the sale. So he told me to wait in his office. He made the sale the wrote me up for failing to follow orders.

The next day when I came in everyone was talking about him. The State Police came in and took him in to answer some questions. Later both he and the store got fined. They would not remove the write up from my file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast