Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: maadi mak 90

Default maadi mak 90

this gun now has a thumbhole sporting stock. can this rifle be fitted with a collapsible and a pistol grip. my bud has had it for some time and i have fired the gun. it shoots very well and he wants to pimp it out a bit
    any recomendations on a brand or co. that would have this?
    i have looked online and see there are many . hard to choose without knowing more but i seemed to like the advanced technology folder @ cabbellas
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: maadi mak 90

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    this gun now has a thumbhole sporting stock. can this rifle be fitted with a collapsible and a pistol grip. my bud has had it for some time and i have fired the gun. it shoots very well and he wants to pimp it out a bit
    any recomendations on a brand or co. that would have this?
    i have looked online and see there are many . hard to choose without knowing more but i seemed to like the advanced technology folder @ cabbellas
    I think your available options will be determined by whether the receiver has a straight cut or a slant cut at the rear. I don't have any first-hand experience with that rifle...but that's what I always hear.

Just my two cents..

My Maadi MISR-10 started life with a thumbhole, but not sure what company the current furniture came from (got it like this)

Standard-length wood stock, but painted black. Gonna love it when I get it shooting again....(damned firing pin sheared off.)
    VMJade
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

(Allegheny County)

Aren't Maadi's Egyptian and Mak 90 Chinese? They both come with the thumbhole stocks. Are you talking about one rifle or two?

Yes, they can changed around to look like traditional AK-47s but once you do you must make sure they meet the 922(r) parts requirements.

If it/they have a slant cut receiver, I believe your only option is to get the stocks from Ironwood. Matt is known do some of the best work. If it's the standard cut, almost any stock will fit.

Got any pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    If it/they have a slant cut receiver, I believe your only option is to get the stocks from Ironwood. Matt is known do some of the best work.
    if it has the slant cut it should be gtg right..otherwise itd have the 2 tangs and the lower would have to be removed like on a bulgy...arfcom and the ak forum have the answers in stickys i believe

just saw this on arfcom
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=123&t=583826
    for straight cut receiver ....
    Last edited by senorlinc; September 19th, 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add link

its an egyptian maadi on the right side of thge reciever it says

acc int / intrac
    knox-tenn
    egypt

on the left side of the reciever it says

arm semi automatic rifle
    caliber 7.62x39
    maadi co.
    made in egypt

we know we can get wood stocks but wanted a folder.
    i geuss the question is first is it legal to put a folder on this gun? and or is this gun worth it?
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    we know we can get wood stocks but wanted a folder.
    i geuss the question is first is it legal to put a folder on this gun? and or is this gun worth it?

Is it legal? Yes, if you do the 922 compliance changes.

Is it worth it? You do these changes for yourself...not to make a profit. So, once you determine the costs of the parts and what it would take to swap stocks, only you can determine if you want to spend the money.

You can determine if it's a straight cut receiver or slant cut without removing the stock. If it's straight cut (and the pics I've seen of MAADI's with thumbhole stocks were straight cut), you can install a side folder without much modification. So, you'd need a pistol grip and the sidefolder (make sure the screws come with the side folder!!!). You'd probably need a replacement screw for the pistol grip.
    Then, enough replacement components to make it 922 compliant.

(Berks County)

Ok here is a quick rundown on what I did to my Maadi AK....

and the markings are the same as the one the OP mentioned.

Took the pistol grip screw and bolt from my spare parts box.

Took off the thumbhole stock

Took off the lower handguard

Ground off the metal ventilated upper handguard

I used the following parts from TAPCO in green ( dont ask why lol)

Tapco side folding stock

Tapco SAW pistol grip

Tapco Galil type handguard.

The rear stock installed and it locks up fairly tight with no wobble while shooting.

Used the pistol grip nut from the parts bin and installed the TAPCO pistol grip, wrapped the screw in tape so it wouldn't fall out and coated the screw threads in blue locktite.

Next came the battle to install the lower handguard assembly. At the bottom of the handguard I had to sand, file and dremel a good deal of material for the handguard to go on and for the handguard to lock in place. Go slow and take your time here it is easy to do, but hard to un do if you take off too much of the plastic.

So far 3 compliance parts

Now out goes the original fire control group....

I got a TAPCO double hook trigger, but the trigger would NOT drop. It was a few minutes on line searching until I found out the Maadi was a SINGLE hook trigger.... Best way to tell is to look at the front of the trigger, if you see two slots its a double hook, if you see ONE slot its a single hook.....a d'oh

Now with the proper fcg installed im up to 6 compliance parts.

Now the muzzle had a busing on it and someone was nice enough to cut the three welds that were holding it in place. Two minutes with the pliers and the 'thread protector' was gone.

Now I attached an AK 74 type muzzle break, BUT the front pin that is spring loaded to hold the bread in place was cut down....

Another trip to the spare parts bin, and with a pin punch I knocked out the roll pin that keeps the muzzle pin in place. This pin is below the front sight and is the first pin towards the muzzle.

Inserted the new pin and spring and put the roll pin back.

Final thing was to replace the top cover with one that I could attach a dot scope.

Went to Cabellas and got at Tru Glow dot scope and mounted it to the new top cover.

All that is left now is to have someone sandblast the paint off of it and then re finsish it with hi temp auto engine paint and its as new issue.

I didn't replace the piston assembly, as with the TAPCO stock kit and trigger Im at 6 part goodness.

Have fun, go slow and you should be good to go.
    gotta love her ;)

(Monroe County)

MAK-90 is just a designation that it was modified for import in 1990 to avoid the AWB if I remember correctly.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.