Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Gun sale question?

I recently closed a deal on a rifle i was selling online to member from a predator hunting site. The rifle has trigger issues and i'm not willing to mess with it any longer as i have a old winny in .243 already and decided to put it in the classifieds.

Now, a deal was arranged thru another member there to do a face to face with me as the buyer lives far away in Illinois and to pick it up and later give it to him at a coyote shoot that i'm not able to attend. They are hunting friends and the guy i'm to meet lives not too far from me here in IND.

I spoke with the pick up guy today to arrange a meeting spot half way and he informed me the buyer would like a copy of my drivers license? Am i required to give this to him? They both seem like nice people, but i dont know if i want to give out that kind of info to people i only know from the net and have never met in person, one of which (the buyer) i will not get to meet at all, but will ultimately have that copy.

Would sure appreciate any opinions as i'm thinking bout telling them if ya want it, take it, but i'm not giving out personal info. Sorry!

What do you guys think?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Gun sale question?

Interstate sale/transfer(you - Indiana, them - Illinois)??? That rifle better go through a dealer to be legal.

The pickup guy needs to meet you at a dealer in your home state, or you need to send the rifle to a dealer in the buyer/pickup guy's home state.

EDIT: this sounds like a straw sale thing. The true buyer is having someone legal pickup the rifle, where as the true buyer would be required to go through a FFL. If you are gonna hand over the rifle, you better transfer it at a dealer to cover your ass.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 3rd, 2008 at 05:19 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Wolf67 View Post
    I recently closed a deal on a rifle i was selling online to member from a predator hunting site. The rifle has trigger issues and i'm not willing to mess with it any longer as i have a old winny in .243 already and decided to put it in the classifieds.

Now, a deal was arranged thru another member there to do a face to face with me as the buyer lives far away in Illinois and to pick it up and later give it to him at a coyote shoot that i'm not able to attend. They are hunting friends and the guy i'm to meet lives not too far from me here in IND.

I spoke with the pick up guy today to arrange a meeting spot half way and he informed me the buyer would like a copy of my drivers license? Am i required to give this to him? They both seem like nice people, but i dont know if i want to give out that kind of info to people i only know from the net and have never met in person, one of which (the buyer) i will not get to meet at all, but will ultimately have that copy.

Would sure appreciate any opinions as i'm thinking bout telling them if ya want it, take it, but i'm not giving out personal info. Sorry!

What do you guys think?
    If you don't feel comfortable with the buyer, find a new one.

As the buyer, he probably just wants to make sure that if the rifle comes back as stolen or anything like that, he knows where he is getting it from. If you look in the classifieds, there is an agreement of sale that you might discuss using with him over the copy of the drivers license, which has your personal information and license number.

I don't know Ill. state laws either, so make sure that everything is legally done. The sale might not even be legal, and to avoid getting yourself in trouble, just double check the transfer laws. I'm pretty sure Illinois is pretty strict.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    If you don't feel comfortable with the buyer, find a new one.

As the buyer, he probably just wants to make sure that if the rifle comes back as stolen or anything like that, he knows where he is getting it from. If you look in the classifieds, there is an agreement of sale that you might discuss using with him over the copy of the drivers license, which has your personal information and license number.

I don't know Ill. state laws either, so make sure that everything is legally done. The sale might not even be legal, and to avoid getting yourself in trouble, just double check the transfer laws. I'm pretty sure Illinois is pretty strict

Its not legal.. He knows that the buyer is a nonresident and that the transfer would require an FFL at one end to make it across state lines. To give it to an instate resident, knowing that its intended to go across state lines would be a straw sale. The buyer is required to transfer it at a FFL in the seller's state, or have the rifle shipped to a FFL in the buyer's state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

But if it's face to face i wouldnt think it would matter? Sending thru the mail, i can see. That was the point to the face to face, as i dont have time with work to arrange transfers, pack it up, go to post office, etc etc. Oh brother.

(Jefferson County)

But you know the buyer is a nonresident. All interstate transfers, except bequeaths, must go through a FFL by federal law.

Well, i guess i'm not as well versed in federal laws as i need to be. This is a first for me as i've never sold a gun to a person before, just gunshops. I thought the face to face covered it, but i'm real glad i decided to ask here first. If i had the time i would set it up, but this is my only day off and all shit is closed around here on sunday and after i get off work on weekdays. I'll call it off, it's not worth it as it's basically nothing more than a parts gun till it gets the trigger issues worked out. Thanks for the info, i really appreciate it BIGTIME. Great bunch ya got here. Thanks again!

Called off. Just sent the email to the guy. I really had no idea this could be illegal. I'm an honest guy and thought i was doing things the right way by face to face. Thanks for settin me straight! I wouldnt want to unknowingly become one of those criminals i bitch about at different forums.