Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Re: If an officer asks to see your weapon?

We have lots of rights given to us by the Constitution. More then many people know... Below is a good video of some of those rights (Amendments). Thats not to say the Police will always perform their dutys in the frame work of those rights. And when your rights are violated it can be a long and costly battle in court to get them upheld. This video may not directly answer your question (i feel other posters did) but its VERY GOOD info to know next time you encounter the Poilce. Take the time to watch it.

Jesus Christ is LORD. PM for a free Bible, shipping included! Bilbles sent - 5

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Tell the officer that until he advises you of your rights, he can
    not ask you any questions.
    Really, did you learn that on the interwebs??? I assume you're joking.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tourture View Post
    I know we are not obligated to inform a LEO that we are carrying, but once that question is asked, are there issues that could arise if we were to say "no" and they found out otherwise?

In Philadelphia I imagine they'd revoke your LTCF. I have to dig up that oppressive paper they make you sign when you pick up your license to carry. I think it goes into it a bit. Only (in)valid in Phila though.

I also think if you sneeze during a traffic stop they'll revoke your LTCF.
    As posted above, some things are better left unsaid. If an officer were to ask out of the blue "do you have any weapons" I'd probably respond with "why are you asking me that?" or "I'm not sure why that is relevant".

If you do not want to not cooperate, the way to say this without getting into trouble would be like,

"Sir, I respectfully decline to answer any questions at this time. Am i being detained?"

(Lawrence County)

I completely agree with all previous posts. I dont think unloading it would be wise, because it could be misconstrued as a hostile act. You know pulling a loaded weapon out of its holster and all. just my 2 cents.
    I't ain't braggin if you can do it !

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tourture View Post
    I know we are not obligated to inform a LEO that we are carrying, but once that question is asked, are there issues that could arise if we were to say "no" and they found out otherwise?
    I am not sure actually. There are some police officers, as well as lawyers on the forums, maybe they will chime in on this one.

I have seen some advice saying that instead of answering the question, just ignore it and proceed with, "here is my license, registration, and proof of insurance officer; why was I stopped today?" etc.

Because there is no obligation to inform, I would assume that answering "no" would not be a violation of law. I do not think lying to an officer if you have done nothing wrong is illegal, unless it interfered with an investigation. In this case, it would not be interfering with an investigation because the information is not pertinent to the stop.

WITH ALL OF THAT BEING SAID: I AM NOT A LAWYER AND COULD BE WRONG.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Really, did you learn that on the interwebs??? I assume you're joking.
    Wow Dave, you beat me to it.

IANAL. That said I believe that its your obligation as a person licensed to carry a firearm, to know as much as you can about the laws that affect you, before you toddle on out the door carrying a loaded gun.

Even though IANAL I can tell you (See previous threads with commentary from actual lawyers and LEOs - 'Search' is your friend) that a police officer can ask you ANYTHING at any time. You do not have an obligation to answer.

But if you think you're going to be advised of your rights in a traffic stop you've been watching too much television.

If you ARE being advised of your rights, its a little late. You most likely already have the cuffs on and are already under arrest.

It is legal for a police officer to lie to you. It is not legal for you to lie to him. Expect things to go badly when (if) it is discovered that you have. It IS legal not to answer questions and in fact, if you are not being detained (Officer, am I being detained or am I free to go?") it is even legal to leave.

It's a real good idea to know what you're talking abut beforehand. "I don't think..." will not cut it by the side of the road or in a court.

And "I read it on the Internet" won't help either. Don't take what I or any other poster tells you and run with it. You don't know me or them, what we know or what we don't.

As a member wiser than me once said "The law is not a game... its a big f*#king hammer waiting to smash you, in a system that generally doesn't like gun owners much to begin with" or words close to that.

If you've taken on the reponsibility and potential liabilities that go with carrying a firearm - go read the law yourself, directly and learn what you need to know. If you can't understand it clearly find someone who does - generally a lawyer versed in firearms issues, not your brother in law, not "a guy from my gun club" and definitely not a cop! It's your butt that may be on the line if you don't.

(No offense meant here to the member LEOs who DO know what's going on, and you know who you are. I am referring to a police officer you just walk up to and do not know. Even if you know him/her socially, many are far from a reliable source of information on laws relating to firearms.)
    Last edited by PA Traveler; January 14th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Oh- and OP- if you're asked whether you have any weapons and you do disclose, its a REALLY bad idea to handle it at all, much less try to draw and clear it. Don't even move in its direction. (My choice would be to keep my hands on the steering wheel in full view.)

If you are TOLD (you are not going to be "asked") that the officer intends to disarm you "for officer safety" reasons and you choose to stand on your rights (assuming you know them) I would state that "I will comply with your instructions, but I do not consent to your taking possession of my firearm".

And make sure your hands are clearly visible. Then (at this point) I'd follow instructions. You don't have much of an option.

My .02 as always. YMMV.
    Last edited by PA Traveler; January 14th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

(Bucks County)

I don't see why they'd ask unless you are wearing it in plain view, or your LTCF is sitting right next to your license. Just make sure the LTCF isn't right there in front of him and that he can't see your weapon, and a police would have no reason to ask you something like that.

Unless of course you have an iPhone on the floor like some guy posted a few weeks ago and the police thinks its a gun. haha.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Montgomery County)

I’ve never had an officer ask to see my weapon. I do however hand them my CCW when I hand them my DL if I am carrying. I also roll all my windows down and put my keys on the dash and if its night time, I turn on my interior lights.

I’ve only been pulled over 3-4 times in the last decade and each time only received a warning. You would be amazed at how an officer responds when they feel more comfortable. Some people wouldn’t agree with doing that much but I don’t mind it at all. I’ve got nothing to hide and I want the officer to know that.

If they asked to see my weapon, I wouldn’t mind showing them. Most cops aren’t out to be assholes unless provoked. Acting like you’re a lawyer with just about any cop and you’re looking for trouble. I have never had any negative issues with any police officer but I always treat them with respect.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast