Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Kimber Schwartz safety?

Can someone explain to me exactly what Schwartz safety is?
    I found New Kimber Custom II at really really REALLY good price(basicaly, what Springfield milSpec in Stainless usually goes for), and I feel stupid not to take the gun, and I'm going to get it tomorrow.

But I remenber I used to hear bad things about Schwartz safety - Like when it works, it works, but when it doesn't work, it doesn't work at all.

But its Kimber, and I know they stand behind their product. So if I'm gonna run in to probrem, it'll get fixed, but I like to know what it is...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kimber Schwartz safety?

Basically the schwartz safety is part of the grip safety. What happens is that it gets broken and if this happens the firing pin will not go forward.

They get broken by reasembleing the pistol with the grip safety depressed.

I have two with this safety and have never had a problem.

(Monroe County)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=156426

I know a lot of people prefer their kimbers w/o the schwartz.

(Centre County)

Schwartz safety is the reason why I stayed away from Kimber all this time(that and I don't care for Series 80 FPBS), eventho I always liked Stainless TLE II. If I could find pre-II, I would get that instead.
    But this is too good of deal to pass up i think, and I haven't had full size 1911 is sometime now, so I figured this would be good one(unfortunatly, SA TRP is little out of my price range now).

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Schwartz safety is the reason why I stayed away from Kimber all this time(that and I don't care for Series 80 FPBS), eventho I always liked Stainless TLE II. If I could find pre-II, I would get that instead.
    But this is too good of deal to pass up i think, and I haven't had full size 1911 is sometime now, so I figured this would be good one(unfortunatly, SA TRP is little out of my price range now).
    is it something you can convert in the future?...if its a good deal i wouldnt pass it up either...I like the traditional timeless look of the 1911, but ive had so many damn problems with them in the past I doubt I will ever own another one when there are so many more options out there that function better for ME.

Im sure Lycan will offer his expertise when he comes across this thread.

(Mercer County)

Ways to handle the problem of the Schwartz Safety:

1. Do what I have done on all my Kimbers that had the Schwartz Safety; I just remove it and keep the parts so I can replace the Schwartz device if I sell the pistol.
    2. The easiest way to disable the Schwartz Safety is to replace the Kimber Firing pin with a 70 Series Firing pin. This disables the Schwartz Safety since the device needs a grooved firing pin to operate.

Removing the Schwartz Safety doesn't disable the grip safety it only disables the firing pin lock/safety.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Removing the Schwartz Safety doesn't disable the grip safety it only disables the firing pin lock/safety.

oracle

So since its activated by the grip safety, I can't change grip safety with another one if I chose(I like memory grip one, and this one don't have it)?

(Lawrence County)

So since its activated by the grip safety, I can't change grip safety with another one if I chose(I like memory grip one, and this one don't have it)?
    You can change the grip safety. The safety arm that blocks the trigger bow also just lifts a rod up through the frame.

The trick in fitting a new grip safety on a series II is to tune the arm to engage the series II rod/plunger fully before it allows the trigger bow to move. If you tune the grip safety to allow the trigger bow to move with just the smallest amount of movent, you can allow the hammer to drop before the firing pin block is entirely out of the way leading to light strikes and a possible broken firing pin block.

Lycanit'snothardthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Centre County)

well, I picked it up just now. Pic will follow later(i got bunch a little kids running around right now..)