Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Try to get my NRA LE firearms instructor certification

I keep getting so much mixed information and just dumb directions.Can someone please give me solid information?Maybe someone that has recently obtained the certification would be great.Thanks everyone.

Default Re: Try to get my NRA LE firearms instructor certification

Quote Originally Posted by toddclites View Post
    I keep getting so much mixed information and just dumb directions.Can someone please give me solid information?Maybe someone that has recently obtained the certification would be great.Thanks everyone.
    I just went through this is October - go right to the horse's mouth. Here's a link to the NRA Instructor Website

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/instructor.asp

(Luzerne County)

These are the requirements needed in order to obtain a LEO instructor certification from the NRA. If you meet these requirements, then sign up for a class.

ELIGIBILITY

Certain eligibility requirements must be met prior to attending any NRA law enforcement firearm instructor development school. They are:

1. You must be a PUBLIC or PRIVATE law enforcement officer with a minimum of 3 years experience.

A PUBLIC law enforcement officer is defined as, but not limited to:
    Any sworn law enforcement officer employed by a federal, state, county or municipal agency or military police unit.

A PRIVATE law enforcement officer is defined as, but not limited to:
    Any person working for a private security company, privatized corrections, nuclear security company or private investigations company AND is authorized to be armed in conjunction with the duties of their job.

2. A RETIRED law enforcement officer who HAD arrest powers, has NO criminal convictions, and may lawfully possess a firearm with a minimum of 3 years experience.

3. A PREVIOUSLY EMPLOYED law enforcement officer who HAD arrest powers, has remained active in law enforcement training, has NO criminal convictions, and may lawfully possess a firearm with a minimum of 3 years experience.

4. Certain individuals who do not meet the above criteria may still qualify to attend and their applications will be looked at and evaluated for eligibility on a case-by-case basis.

I have three certifications through the NRA; handgun/shotgun, patrol rifle and tactical shooting instructor.

You can also get a handgun/shotgun instructor course through PSP.

(Montgomery County)

Red face Re: Try to get my NRA LE firearms instructor certification

DID the same with NRA,
    Went through PSP's a few years ago because it is a lifetime certification, NRA requires recert training or so many hours of training to keep it current, which isnt a bad idea.
    NRA gives more specialty classes, like tactical shooter, Tactical Shotgun which PSP does not do.
    NRA $$$
    PSP free

I would rate the training about the same.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Try to get my NRA LE firearms instructor certification

FYI: I'm a NRA LE Firearms instructor, the first thing I will tell you is please make sure that you shooting fundamentals are sound.. The first thing the instructors will tell you on day one is that "its not a beginners class" and if you are really confident with your shooting ability take a step back and practice before you attempt the class. Depending on who your instructors are they may or may not be very happy if your not a LEO or former LEO and may be abit hard on you. But above all just make sure your shooting is completely up to par..Just a bit of advice, hope that helps alittle.

(Bucks County)

Please define "PSP"?

Quote Originally Posted by FI133 View Post
    DID the same with NRA,
    Went through PSP's a few years ago because it is a lifetime certification, NRA requires recert training or so many hours of training to keep it current, which isnt a bad idea.
    NRA gives more specialty classes, like tactical shooter, Tactical Shotgun which PSP does not do.
    NRA $$$
    PSP free

I would rate the training about the same.

(Lehigh County)

PSP= Pennsylvania State Police

(Bucks County)

Didn't realize Pa State Police provided there own firearms instructor course to civilians?!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Didn't realize Pa State Police provided there own firearms instructor course to civilians?!

Pacer,

Most, if not all classes given through the PSP are for LE only or an employee that works for a LE department. Whether you are a municipal officer or private police.

AG

(Montgomery County)

"The first thing the instructors will tell you on day one is that "its not a beginners class"

Either class being NRA or PSP (PA State Police) will tell you that you need to be proficent in firearms. NRA as Well as PSP require you to "qualify" before you can go on in the class. It is a little nerve racking no matter how much experience you have. I had two guys from my class pack up and leave because they did not qualify.

Toddclites,
    Have you looked into FLETC???
    (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center)
    This is restricted LE only.
    They have a training facility in Cheltenham Maryland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast