Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: OAKS WINTER SHOW FEB 7, 8, 9, 2020

I agree CASH only means something with a 3-4% savings for the vendor over using a CC. That's the only break I'd expect.

(Lycoming County)

I've had good luck with the classified here if. I always check out prices before I list it and try and be fair with offers. I am also willing to ship on the buyers dime or work out a deal for shipping. That's a big one and I never understood why it's such a big problem for some. I drop the gun off at my FFL and he ships it to theirs. Takes 10 minutes for me tops as a seller and opens up the buyer market.

As far as shows/shops, I expect to get about half of what they can sell it for if I sell to them. That's business and why I sell through here or to friends. If I'm trading I expect to do a little better.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Hey , if we're going to be hatin on pepole.
    I want in on this and maybe someone here can answer some questions for me since we are on the subject.
    Has to be a few here that do it.

But if buyer asks ..... wait let me rephrase that.
    If a wanna be buyer asks if I will take less and I ACCEPT that offer.
    Isn't he then supposed to pay me?
    I'm pretty sure that's how this is supposed to work.
    You lick and touch the firearm , make me an offer ..... If I say "Yes" ...... you're supposed to give me that amount.
    that's how this works or the entire system starts to crumble.

And what is it with offering "CASH"?
    You know them , ...

How much CASH?
    What's your CASH price?
    What if I pay with CASH?
    How about $100 less than asking in CASH?

And they use the word "cash" as if it's a magical word and is supposed to make my panties fall down or something.
    I understand a dealer may have a credit card price and a cash price.
    But I'm just some guy walking the floor or on a personal section selling privately .....
    ALL I TAKE IS CASH ,.... there is no bonus points for using it.
    What is everyone else paying with , chickens? rubles? bit coin?
    I like to pay with pubic hairs, the renewable paysource.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Only works on the fat smelly rednecks

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I can see that.

I had one guy want to pay with firewood..... which isn't too unusual , I've been offered that before and I guess firewood does have a value to some people …. BUT what made this knuckle head different was , he wanted me to sneak onto his uncles land , cut down the trees and cut up and load the wood myself...…..
    I asked him , if I was going to sneak onto his uncles land and steal the wood myself ….. what did I need him for and I should just keep the gun.
    He didn't know what to say to that.

And then , and this was a good one ….. I had a guy from ROARING SPRINGS talk to me for over an hour on the phone about my gun for sale.
    He said to call him back the next day and I did ……. he says he will need to call me back later because he is in a VERY EXEPENSIVE restaurant at the moment.
    So , ok … he calls me back and we talk for about an hour and tells me how he will use the gun ,shoot the gun , love the gun , etc , etc , etc and at the end he says...…
    There's just one problem
    I think …. oh boy here it comes....
    He says …..I have no money , but I will go out back tomorrow and see what I can find.
    I'm like what? Do you have a money tree out back? Are you digging for gold? What does that even mean?
    So about 2 days later this guy calls me again and asks if I have a certain different type of rifle for sale.
    I'm like ….. uh , no...…………
    He then tells me , he is going to buy this different gun he thought of instead of mine ….. which is roughly about $400 more than what I had for sale.
    I'm screaming in the phone …. BUT YOU HAS NO MONEY!!
    He then calmly tells me to call his buddy …. "The Mole" ……..and The mole will buy my gun because he just sold 10 cows and is loaded.
    I can't make this crap up.

Of course there was the taxidermy guy who wanted to trade me taxidermy …….
    not a first either I might say
    When that didn't grab my attention he then offered to make payments.
    I must have been drinking because I briefly entertained that idea with him …. until I discovered the thought he was going to get the gun before all the payments were made.
    When I told him that wasn't going to happen he became enraged and informed me that he would then go to Grices and buy the same gun.
    I told him to let me know what Grices said when he told them he wants taking the gun before the payments were made.....Never did he call me back.

You know the biggest red flag for me that I am about to waste my time?

When the guy tells you ….. the cash is as good as in your hand
    or they are a serious buyer with cash in hand... that's a sign right there that you're not selling your gun
    The more they beat and thump their chest about how they are definitely buying it …… the more you know …… you'll never be able to get the time back you spend with this yum yum but you will have your gun at the end of it all.

When I post a gun for sale ….. the wife automatically says to me …… "I'm sorry"
    What she means is …. I am sorry for the headaches you have coming.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    May I ask what kind of bad experience did you have during a consignment sale?
    I have sold only one gun in my life; a PPK. Bought new but continuously experienced jamming. May have been the ammo but didn't try long enough to find out. Tried selling it here but didn't go. Don't remember what I priced it at but knowing myself it was probably fair. Not one bite. The post may still be here somewhere. Went the consignment route. First I had to put up with the attitude for doing me a favor. They took it but didn't hear from them for may be 6 months. Almost forgot about it. One day got a check in the mail for I think $300 and that was that. I see it today at gun shows for around $600. If I had so much trouble selling a PPK, imagine how lesser brands would fare.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    I have sold only one gun in my life; a PPK. Bought new but continuously experienced jamming. May have been the ammo but didn't try long enough to find out. Tried selling it here but didn't go. Don't remember what I priced it at but knowing myself it was probably fair. Not one bite. The post may still be here somewhere. Went the consignment route. First I had to put up with the attitude for doing me a favor. They took it but didn't hear from them for may be 6 months. Almost forgot about it. One day got a check in the mail for I think $300 and that was that. I see it today at gun shows for around $600. If I had so much trouble selling a PPK, imagine how lesser brands would fare.
    Trying to sell someone a gun knowing it has issues and not telling the buyer is deceptive. Secondly It's the seller's responsibility to research on how much the gun is worth and what they want to price it at. Then you have to find a gun shop that sells guns on consignment and find out what their terms are. They are going want a cut of the sale. Some have a fix fee that is subtracted from the sale price. Other shops will ask how much you want to get out of it and then they will add there fee onto the sale price. I don't like doing business the second method because if you sell a gun for that is worth $500 for $400 to thinking that it will sell quicker, the shop will just add on another $100.00 to the sale price and that will be their profit. So you should have knew the approx value, have a sale price in mind ,make sure the gun shop will price it at that, find out what the shop consignment fee is, and periodically check the shop to ensure they didn't price it sky high.

However, selling a problematic gun without telling the potential buyer or getting it repaired is just shitty all the way around.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I agree CASH only means something with a 3-4% savings for the vendor over using a CC. That's the only break I'd expect.
    There is also the fact that some folks like cash because they "hide " some sales . And cash is cash and not a check which may turn out to be "rubber " . Its a done deal with cash

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    There is also the fact that some folks like cash because they "hide " some sales . And cash is cash and not a check which may turn out to be "rubber " . Its a done deal with cash
    Off the book sales, or partially recorded sales are like gold to a vendor. I've offered cash at gun stores and have gotten breaks up to 10%.
    It never hurts to ask
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    I'd never take a check and I'd never expect joe the guy on the street to take one either.
    I can remember a doctor who had a newish house built in the Scotch Valley section outside of Hollidaysburg.
    Those who know the area know the money there.
    Dude had so much money he had these giant chandeliers in his horse stables.
    Dude also never made good on a $300 dollar check he wrote to a friend and almost screwed the guy who painted some rooms in his house out of his money.
    The only reason the painter did not get screwed was the doctors wife "accidentally paid the guy".
    How do we know this .....
    The painters daughter was still in the house from baby sitting when the doc came home and heard from his wife she paid the guy.
    Doc went nuts and said he hadn't planned on paying him ....

I sold a camper to a teacher once ..... I did a little extra to help the guy out .... my only requirement from day one was cash only.
    Which he said was no problem..... uh huh.
    Towards the end he started talking checks.
    And during part of my explaining things to him , he made the comment ..... "I'm a teacher you can trust me"
    So I said ..... "Oh , so I'm the crook in this transaction?"
    But he kept trying to slip a check into the conversations and I told him he best not go pulling out a check book at the notary or theres going be a problem.
    He did bring cash ..... plus a body guard ......... A BODY GUARD!.
    Needless to say ..... I wasn't too scared.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast