Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Technology Upgrades Progress

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    I'll note, we are fully aware that the PAFOA search is not all that great, and once we get past the infrastructure-transfer part of the process and into the software upgrades process we will be looking into our options for a better, more comprehensive search solution. Thanks for your continued patience!
    The PAFOA search works just fine, as long as there is content to to search for. But when people just post links to articles with a cutsey title the search doesn't work at all. If people would post informative titles and a blurb from the linked article that includes the names of the people involved, then the search would work just dandy when it comes to finding the thread later for updates.

The front end needs to work for the back end to work.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    This search: http://forum.pafoa.org/search.php
    has always worked well for me.
    Yep! That still works, it unfortunately puts a lot of load on the database which is why we keep it enabled, but don't make it the primary search function.

We're hoping to be able to promote that search back to the primary search in the future.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

^What they all said about the YouTube button. I was just assuming that modern versions of vbulletin would support it. Even better, for example, on my simple machines forum gaming site, it automatically embeds YouTube videos when a user simply posts the URL. No need for buttons or code.

I assumed that modern versions of a paid professional software would have similar capabilities. I could be assuming too much.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Northampton County)

The search works great.

The only problem with the search is it will deny queries for many 3 and 4 letter words. Sometimes you can work around this, sometimes you just can't. Let's face it, the gun business is filled with short acronyms than nobody spells out as well as firearms that have model numbers but no names (or variable names).

I understand the intended reason for it, but I think the limits cause more harm than good. You should at least be able to search short terms in a thread title only query.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    ^What they all said about the YouTube button. I was just assuming that modern versions of vbulletin would support it. Even better, for example, on my simple machines forum gaming site, it automatically embeds YouTube videos when a user simply posts the URL. No need for buttons or code.

I assumed that modern versions of a paid professional software would have similar capabilities. I could be assuming too much.

Justin
    Modern vBulletin may in fact have such functionality, we're two major releases behind (which is one of the main things that will be fixed in the second phase of this undertaking.)

Once we get there we'll re-evaluate where we're at, what could be improved, and how best to accomplish it.

In the meantime you can use the {youtube}<id>{/youtube} bbcode tag if you want to embed a YouTube video.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Lackawanna County)

Hey Justin, what do you mean by a YouTube button?
    This is from another forum, they run vbulletin, dunno what version. Just hit the button and the format is inserted in the reply box, you just have to insert your link between the correct brackets. Shouldn't be too hard for all the Rocket Surgeons we have here.

Attached Images Attached Images
    My goal in Life is to become the kind of problem that people throw money at.

Modern vBulletin may in fact have such functionality, we're two major releases behind (which is one of the main things that will be fixed in the second phase of this undertaking.)

Once we get there we'll re-evaluate where we're at, what could be improved, and how best to accomplish it.

In the meantime you can use the {youtube}<id>{/youtube} bbcode tag if you want to embed a YouTube video.

Understand priorities. Thanks for the hard work!

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Philadelphia County)

I have made a change that removes our current Content Delivery Network from the chain serving up icon images throughout the forum in preparation for an infrastructure move.

If anyone notices forum-design-related images such as editor icons, buttons, rating stars, etc missing or broken please post the info here.

I have checked each of them myself and everything appears fine, but who knows!

(Philadelphia County)

As part of the preparation for moving the forum to the new infrastructure, we have removed our content-delivery network from all image/stylesheet/javascript assets on the forum.

As far as I can tell, nothing has visibly changed, but if you see broken images or design aspects to the overall forum template, let me know.

Transition to the new infrastructure should happen sometime this week if all goes well, then it's onto phase 2.

(Allegheny County)

As part of the preparation for moving the forum to the new infrastructure, we have removed our content-delivery network from all image/stylesheet/javascript assets on the forum.

As far as I can tell, nothing has visibly changed, but if you see broken images or design aspects to the overall forum template, let me know.

Transition to the new infrastructure should happen sometime this week if all goes well, then it's onto phase 2.

GTFO!!!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast