Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Had a ND today.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Had a ND today.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    I really do not understand how this continues to happen to anyone OTHER than new firearms owners! Many times it is caused by someone who would call themselves “knowledgeable”. Unless I came in contact with a firearm that could spontaneously fire, this is simply an impossibility for me! And I have trouble understanding how people continue to be careless.

I’m glad your carelessness did not injure or kill anyone.

Triple check your double check people!
    I posted this a while back.
    A guy I know has been around guns, shooting and hunting for more years than I can say.
    He bought a glock with interchangeable grip straps.
    The story passed on was that while he was attempting to change the grip strap ( with the pistol fully charged), it ACCIDENTALLY discharged into his arm ( ND).
    He swore his wife and family to secrecy due to embarrassment His son mentioned the act to another family member and it was passed on to me.
    A week ago, at a family function, his wife said he had broken his arm which required surgery.

I dry fire in my house quite a bit and when nothing else is a distraction.
    A story like this emphasizes the importance of safety when handling a gun.

Thanks OP for posting. Not sure if I could have.
    Very happy no injuries occurred..
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Delaware County)

I really do not understand how this continues to happen to anyone OTHER than new firearms owners! Many times it is caused by someone who would call themselves “knowledgeable”. Unless I came in contact with a firearm that could spontaneously fire, this is simply an impossibility for me! And I have trouble understanding how people continue to be careless.

I’m glad your carelessness did not injure or kill anyone.

Triple check your double check people!
    i have been around guns all my life. I consider myself very safe when around firearms. gun shop, range, home etc. but in this instance, like others have stated, i got complacent. no excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I have never had a ND. But if I did I don't think I would be posting about it.
    its not something to shy away from. if one person can learn anything from my mistake, then it makes this post worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I posted this a while back.
    A guy I know has been around guns, shooting and hunting for more years than I can say.
    He bought a glock with interchangeable grip straps.
    The story passed on was that while he was attempting to change the grip strap ( with the pistol fully charged), it ACCIDENTALLY discharged into his arm ( ND).
    He swore his wife and family to secrecy due to embarrassment His son mentioned the act to another family member and it was passed on to me.
    A week ago, at a family function, his wife said he had broken his arm which required surgery.

I dry fire in my house quite a bit and when nothing else is a distraction.
    A story like this emphasizes the importance of safety when handling a gun.

Thanks OP for posting. Not sure if I could have.
    Very happy no injuries occurred..
    i can see my error's and can rectify the issues. dry firing is great trigger control practice, but you need to be 100% aware of what you are doing. in this case i was only 50%.

(Delaware County)

For those calling on me to have one..... Number one, very good nature there!! Wishing wrong on someone! Number two, don’t mistake me for acting out YOUR carelessness. This isn’t something that happens to all. It happens to people who are CARELESS! PERIOD! I have never been nor will I ever be complacent to the point of careless behavior. And quite frankly, I don’t think having it happen makes one “safer” as many have alluded to. Just the opposite, in fact. I believe a person that has shown carelessness, is far more capable of having a future mishap, over someone who has never shown even the slightest bit of complacent/careless behavior.

Causing a traffic accident does not make you a “safer” driver. Your insurance company does not reward your careless behavior because they think, “Well, now they will be more attentive at the wheel because they ALREADY made that mistake!” No! They charge you higher rates because they KNOW you are now a “higher risk” driver!

(Delaware County)

For those calling on me to have one..... Number one, very good nature there!! Wishing wrong on someone! Number two, don’t mistake me for acting out YOUR carelessness. This isn’t something that happens to all. It happens to people who are CARELESS! PERIOD! I have never been nor will I ever be complacent to the point of careless behavior. And quite frankly, I don’t think having it happen makes one “safer” as many have alluded to. Just the opposite, in fact. I believe a person that has shown carelessness, is far more capable of having a future mishap, over someone who has never shown even the slightest bit of complacent/careless behavior.

Causing a traffic accident does not make you a “safer” driver. Your insurance company does not reward your careless behavior because they think, “Well, now they will be more attentive at the wheel because they ALREADY made that mistake!” No! They charge you higher rates because they KNOW you are now a “higher risk” driver!
    anyone can have a negliget discharge. ANYONE. it doesnt matter what skill level or how long you have been around firearms.

https://panteao.com/uncut-travis-haley-nd-video/

im sorry if you think it can't think it can happen to you. because it can. will it? who knows, but i do know that i dont wish it upon anybody, but i also know that i had always told myself also that it would never happen to me. Its more dangerous to think it will never happen to you then it is to think its a possibility and to keep it always in the back of your mind.

and to think that someone cant learn from something is downright the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyPullover View Post
    That keyboard sucked anyway. Carry on
    Hey, it is a mechanical switch keyboard rather than a membrane switch, so it is a step above about 90% of the keyboards out there.

(Dauphin County)

Please refer to this thread.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=337042
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    What did it ricochet off of?
    No idea the target was a silhouette stapled onto a plywood board, propped up against a small tree on the edge of a "ravine". Most likely it hit a rock and came back at us. If I can remember what my wife did with the bullet I will take a picture and post it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    No idea the target was a silhouette stapled onto a plywood board, propped up against a small tree on the edge of a "ravine". Most likely it hit a rock and came back at us. If I can remember what my wife did with the bullet I will take a picture and post it.
    If you really want to have some fun, fire off a mag of tracer rounds at a natural mixed material backstop.
    You will be able to see those fuckers bouncing all over the place.
    You may or may not need a fresh pair of shorts.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    If you really want to have some fun, fire off a mag of tracer rounds at a natural mixed material backstop.
    You will be able to see those fuckers bouncing all over the place.
    You may or may not need a fresh pair of shorts.
    Watched tons of tracers go off during night fire drills in Benning back in 2002. I'm pretty certain my infantry company started a small fire down range.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by messeduprex View Post
    anyone can have a negliget discharge. ANYONE. it doesnt matter what skill level or how long you have been around firearms.

https://panteao.com/uncut-travis-haley-nd-video/

im sorry if you think it can't think it can happen to you. because it can. will it? who knows, but i do know that i dont wish it upon anybody, but i also know that i had always told myself also that it would never happen to me. Its more dangerous to think it will never happen to you then it is to think its a possibility and to keep it always in the back of your mind.

and to think that someone cant learn from something is downright the stupidest thing i have ever heard.
    https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...chable-moment/

Massad Ayoob had one earlier this year. If a guy that literally "wrote the book" more than once on defensive firearm use can have an ND anyone can. Complacency is a MF'er sometimes and can lead to just as many accidents as a newb.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast