Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (McKean County)

Default Where to find an FNP-45 in or near McKean County???

Quick question. Does anyone know who carries FNH pistols in or around McKean County (northwestern/north central PA)?

I actually won a Springfield XD-40 in a raffle, but I haven't gone into the store to pick it up. When I do go in, I believe I have the option of getting a different pistol (might have to throw in some extra cash). This store can order the FNP-45, but they don't have any in-stock.

Hoping to check out the FNP-45 in person, before deciding if I want to get one ordered. I've heard it's big, so I want to see if it's too big (especially the grip) for me.

The closest FNH dealer listed on the FNH website in in St. Marys - they don't have the .45 in stock. Potter County Outfitters carries some FNH pistols, but they don't have the .45 ACP. Grice (Clearfield) and Bob's (Erie area) said they don't carry them, and neither of the two shops in Bradford have them.

Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks. --Sean

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Where to find an FNP-45 in or near McKean County???

Quote Originally Posted by sean79 View Post
    Quick question. Does anyone know who carries FNH pistols in or around McKean County (northwestern/north central PA)?

I actually won a Springfield XD-40 in a raffle, but I haven't gone into the store to pick it up. When I do go in, I believe I have the option of getting a different pistol (might have to throw in some extra cash). This store can order the FNP-45, but they don't have any in-stock.

Hoping to check out the FNP-45 in person, before deciding if I want to get one ordered. I've heard it's big, so I want to see if it's too big (especially the grip) for me.

The closest FNH dealer listed on the FNH website in in St. Marys - they don't have the .45 in stock. Potter County Outfitters carries some FNH pistols, but they don't have the .45 ACP. Grice (Clearfield) and Bob's (Erie area) said they don't carry them, and neither of the two shops in Bradford have them.

Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks. --Sean
    Call Ackley's in Westfield it's a ride but closer than the philly area. Let me ask you a question how long has it been since Knells Sporting Goods on rt6 has been open?

(McKean County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    Call Ackley's in Westfield it's a ride but closer than the philly area. Let me ask you a question how long has it been since Knells Sporting Goods on rt6 has been open?
    Thanks. I wasn't sure where Westfied was, so I looked it up. Looks like they're about 48 minutes from where I work.

As far as Knells... I'm not sure. I've never seen it, but it looks like it's just north of Route 6 - on Route 155 in Port Allegany (according to the internet). I've probably driven by it a bunch of times, but I don't remember noticing it.

Thanks, again, for the suggestion. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

(McKean County)

No luck at Ackley's...

Has anyone actually seen one at a shop? Potter County Outfitters had a 9mm and a .40, but no .45s.

(Dauphin County)

When is the deadline to go in there an claim your prize? I have one that I own and may be heading up towards Bradford in the next week or two. If you do not find one before and I can bring it with and you can check it out yourself.

(Lehigh County)

No luck at Ackley's...

Has anyone actually seen one at a shop? Potter County Outfitters had a 9mm and a .40, but no .45s.
    Just held a fnp40 last week, should not be to much difference between the 40, and the 45. The 45 is a little bigger, and heavier. The ergonomics should still be there though good luck in your search.
    Last edited by A-5; February 15th, 2011 at 08:14 AM.

(Dauphin County)

I have larger hands but feel the fit is good on me. It does come with 2 back straps I used the curved if it is a little big the flat might make up the difference. It is a big gun but in my opinion awesome hopefully you find one before you order.

(McKean County)

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasivanclark View Post
    When is the deadline to go in there an claim your prize?
    I think I've still got a while before I need to go pick it up (or order something else). It's down near Williamsport, so it will be a good 3+ hour drive - and I'll have to visit the in-laws... I've actually put it off for over a month already.

When I held the 9 and the 40, the 9 had the curved backstrap and the 40 had the straight one. I preferred the curved one, but I'm curious as to how big the .45 really is. I'm going to try to give the place down in St. Marys another call, but I'm not really counting on them having one in.

(Lehigh County)

I think I've still got a while before I need to go pick it up (or order something else). It's down near Williamsport, so it will be a good 3+ hour drive - and I'll have to visit the in-laws... I've actually put it off for over a month already.

When I held the 9 and the 40, the 9 had the curved backstrap and the 40 had the straight one. I preferred the curved one, but I'm curious as to how big the .45 really is. I'm going to try to give the place down in St. Marys another call, but I'm not really counting on them having one in.
    I actually was wrong the other day when I say I held the 40, it was indeed the fnp45. Sorry for some reason I thought it was the 40. It is in stock at Target World in Chalfont, PA. I don't know the price but if you want to drive 6 hours to pick it up it's there for the taking.

(McKean County)

I finally drove down and checked both guns out - side by side. I really wanted to like the FNP-45, and I do like everything but the grip. That grip is huge and blocky. Other than the grip size/shape, the gun was really, really nice.

The XD-45 really felt comfortable. I have a SW9VE (9mm Sigma), and its sucky trigger had made me very nervous about striker-fired pistols. However, the trigger pull on the XD was pretty short and light (dry firing) - I was really surprised. It wasn't as short and light as the FNP in SA-mode, but it wasn't too far off - and it beats the heck out of the Sigma.

I don't know why FN couldn't/didn't make their grip smaller - obviously, doing so is possible with a double-stacked .45 (those Croatians did it for Springfield). The FN felt a little better with the curved backstrap - the guy at the shop changed it out for me - but it was still big, and the front side of the grip was blockier than it needs to be.

I really wanted to be blown away by the FN (made in America; DA/SA action; exposed hammer; safety/decocker), but that striker-fired XD really holds its own. Maybe I could get used to the grip on the FNP... I don't know. They're both still possibilities (and both seem to be well made), but I'm maybe leaning a little more toward the XD-45 at this point.

Although I didn't make a decision, the side by side comparisons answered a lot of questions for me. I learned that striker-fired pistols don't have to have really bad/heavy trigger pull. And, I think I now dislike my Sigma a little more.

Thanks, again, for all the advice and suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast