Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New revolver-an 8 shot

I found a NIB model 627 Performance Center 5 inch at my LGS. The owner gave me a nice deal on this one, and I decided to go with this one.

First time I ever owned a 5 inch revolver. I'm used to carrying 4 inch revolvers (N frames and L-frame sized guns), so I wasn't sure how it would feel on the hip. Honestly, I don't tell any real difference. My desantis leather holster with thumbbreak is for 4 inch guns, but this one fits well, with just a half inch of the muzzle sticking out the bottom. I'm fine with that.

This gun seems pretty much perfect in fit and finish. The ball detent lock up is smooth, not too tight. Opens easily.

Lock up is ROCK SOLID. zero endshake, and almost zero wiggle in the cylinder. Trigger pull is very smooth, like my M657 performance center.

I was leary about carrying a 5 inch gun, but it's growing on me. The slab-side and tapered barrel takes weight off the barrel, so it doesn't feel too muzzle heavy. Well balanced. Plus, the 5 inch barrel should get 1700 ft/s with Underwood's 125 grain .357 magnum--a real scorching defensive load. This one comes with moon clips.

S&W is really putting out some nice stuff!

Anyone here like their Performance Center revolvers too?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New revolver-an 8 shot

I can see it now. Hi-cap revolver.. Cylinder plugs

(Montgomery County)

Sort List! Was your LGS in KoP? I think I saw one there

(Susquehanna County)

I have the 627 Pro version with 4" barrel! Great piece. WRT the moonclips, which work just fine, the groove in the case head just forward of the rim has a width and sometimes depth that varies from maker to maker. Choose cases with narrower grooves even though harder to charge, the long magnum cartridges won't wobble as much and get out of alignment when you're trying a fast reload, also keep the cylinder pointed as close to vertically down as possible or the cases will flop and hang up. Also invest in Brownell's 10mm demooning tool and save your fingers lots of wear and tear. They have carriers for loaded clips too.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Sort List! Was your LGS in KoP? I think I saw one there
    no, it's in Colmar.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I have the 627 Pro version with 4" barrel! Great piece. WRT the moonclips, which work just fine, the groove in the case head just forward of the rim has a width and sometimes depth that varies from maker to maker. Choose cases with narrower grooves even though harder to charge, the long magnum cartridges won't wobble as much and get out of alignment when you're trying a fast reload, also keep the cylinder pointed as close to vertically down as possible or the cases will flop and hang up. Also invest in Brownell's 10mm demooning tool and save your fingers lots of wear and tear. They have carriers for loaded clips too.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was originally after the 4 inch 627 Pro. But my LGS had this PC version with 5 inch barrel, and I figured it was worth the try. I really don't notice the extra inch in barrel length.

I was thinking about getting moon clip carriers. But I also like speed strips, and I'll be ordering a few 8 round strips as well. 8 rounds of .357 magnum really does make the wheelgun a competitor to many single-stack autos.

(Clearfield County)

Nice find! Now I want one just because of what S&W printed on the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    Nice find! Now I want one just because of what S&W printed on the barrel.
    .357 mag--8 times. It really is something to novel. I knew that the 8 shot N-frame existed for many years, and always thought it was an odd thing. Now that I have a revolver that holds EIGHT rounds of .357 magnum...it really makes this a COOL revolver. The same capacity as a 1911! And the moon clips are fast. I'm starting to wonder if I need brass chuckers anymore.

(Chester County)

What's the weight on that thing?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    What's the weight on that thing?
    The S&W site lists it at 44 ounces. My LGS had a scale, and it weighed in at 43 ounces, for an actual weight. Since the barrel is both slab-sided AND tapered, and the ejector shroud is tapered, it balances very well. It really carries well. I have a stiff gun belt and a good pancake holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast