Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Pistol storage. How do you store yours?

I have 12 pistols and most of them stay locked in a combination safe which is further hidden in a crawlspace with one loaded revolver inside. I usually have no less than 2 loaded pistols out and about. One is my carry gun, a S&W Shield, which stays sandwiched between clean pairs of pants in the closet, or on me, or next to me. The other is an HD gun and rarely leaves the house: That one stays in a secret compartment in a piece of furniture, and also serves as my backup carry weapon. At various times, that position has been filled by a Bersa .45, a .38 revolver or a Radom P83. Right now its the .45. I also keep a 9mm non-Browning Hi-Power clone stashed in the attic with several mags,, but unloaded. I keep it there just in case I ever have to retreat to the attic during a home invasion, and cant reach my other guns or have already spent the ammo in my other guns.

Edit: I also keep some rifles and a shotgun, but I have no safe for them yet. I'm a part time musician, so one stays in a zipped nylon gear bag. Another has a cotton rifle sock. The shotgun and a 22 are leaning bare in my closet, and I keep rifle ammo near all my pistol cubby holes just in case something too big for pistols rears it's head and I have to "up the ante" quick.
    Last edited by FJW; March 19th, 2017 at 08:31 PM.

(Lancaster County)

What happens if I store them in foam? Does that cause rust or some sort of other issues?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    What happens if I store them in foam? Does that cause rust or some sort of other issues?
    A lot depends on the foam used, I have some cases with foam linings I have stored guns in for extended periods (years) with no ill effect, but some foams will absorb moisture and hold it next to the metal of the gun and encourage corrosion. I am sure someone will be along shortly to further advise on this. I do not remember the name I have had success with, I will have to check.

Edit: I have used the older Doskocil cases that I bought years ago. They seem to have a 'good' foam. Apparently they were taken over by Plano at some time, so I do not know about the new generation.
    Last edited by gghbi; March 19th, 2017 at 07:54 PM.

(Indiana County)

Foam is a synthetic sponge.
    It can wick off oil.

While it's not cheap, ammo cans and pistol sized gun socks.
    I can store up to 6 average sized pistols in a 50cal can (more if they are smaller "pocket"sized ones).
    Or, use 30cal cans and you can store the pistol and it's mags in the same can.
    Cans stack in a safe.
    No banging guns around.

Midway runs sales on six packs of their pistol socks, or go to Walmart and buy the $5 rifle socks and cut them into three pieces, you can sew up one end if you wish.

Using the 30cal cans you can pack mags and ammo ready for a range trip.
    Using 50cal cans you can fit many guns in a smallish area.

Oil the guns, put in socks, put in cans.

(Allegheny County)

Yes. And faster than you may think.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Ive had good luck with one of the small Stack On 7 gun rifle safe, bought the steel adjustable shelf brackets and made plywood shelves covered with thick felt, I keep the shelves about 4"-5 " apart and can get 7-8 shelves in there that hold 3-4 handguns each. hung a golden rod in it and all is good
    Ive also known guys that have bought craftsman multi drawer tool chests and lined the drawers with felt, depending on the size you can get dozens in them, along with holsters and ammo in the bigger drawers and mags in the smaller ones. just make arrangements so no one can roll it out the door !

(Lancaster County)

Maybe I need to take a second look at the Stack-On offerings.

(Indiana County)

Any fabric presents the possibility of wicking oil off of the firearm.
    I'd use a closed cell foam or plastic sheet before using any sort of fabric.

I've seen plenty of handguns with pitting and damaged finish on one side where it laid in a drawer on a towel or whatever for a long time.

I'm a strong advocate of gun socks.
    They are silicone impregnated, you can add more if you wish by using a spray can bought at any parts store.
    They are not "cheap" but $5-6 to protect a $300-$1500 handgun from rust and dings/scratches is cheap insurance imo.

Hi folks,

I have probably 20 or so pistols (Semi-auto and revolvers) of varying sizes and lengths. For now, I am storing the bulk of them in a Stack-On cabinet that more suited for ammo storage than pistol storage. It's hard to get them in and out of the shelves. I'm looking for a better storage solution without taking up a lot of space.

Thanks,

-Ethan.
    I understand space is an issue, however with a 20+ gun collection you need to step up into a real safe. At $200.00 a gun and that's guessing low you have a 4K gun collection. IMO you need to step up your security game as well as fire protection. Stack-on is really kid safe and that's about it. Any burglar worth his weight in cow shit will get right in. I am not busting your balls but you have a lot to look after and keep secure. I also advocate the gun socks that are pre oiled.

Check Craigs list and FB yard sale sites. People do move and safes can be had cheap because they don't want to drag them along.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Indiana County)

There are Stack-on safes and there are Stack-on cabinets.

Any "real" crook is going to get into any safe, any halfwitted crackhead is going to get into a cabinet.
    Unless you advertise that you have the Crown Jewels in your safe, I doubt you're going to have many professional thieves breaking into your safe.

My buddy worked at a scrap yard.
    One of those Farm and Fleet safes was brought in that had been in a fire.
    Once locked, we used fire dept halligan bars and a long crowbar to get in.
    Took some time, like a long time.
    I doubt any crackhead would have the patience that we did.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast