Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Could you actually use your sidearm in a situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    WTF is this thread about?

That despite the PGC law* you would put down a road hit animal?

Or that your ability to use your sidearm in a real situation is based on above?

*Can't say I agree with it but boop there it is.
    It's going to be a judgy type of thread.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Yes.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Yes.
    ^^^This^^^

(Bucks County)

Just an anecdote peripherally related to the OP post.

A friend of mine happened upon an injured deer on the side of the road some years back. A LEO was summoned, asked if anyone had a sidearm who could dispatch the animal. He said he would do it but the paperwork he had to file after a firearm use was a major pain in the ass and he appreciated the assist. This was in pennsyltucky, not the burbs.

(Lancaster County)

Weird thread.

(Indiana County)

Car in front of me broadsided a deer one night (it was DARK and we were both in the middle of nowhere). I stopped and helped him pick up his front bumper and other bits and pieces all over the roadway. State trooper was passing by, on his way back to the barracks, stopped, asked if the driver (and his family were okay). Looked at the car (the headlights were pointing downward, but still working, and nothing was leaking). Told the driver he looked okay enough to make it home. We pointed out the wounded deer. BLAM! Trooper got into his sedan and drove off. I helped the driver load the now-deceased deer into the back of his vehicle. No paperwork involved, no request on the record for any police, just another night in Rural Pennsylvania.

Spent a year and a half in Vietnam, followed up by another twenty years all over the world. Personally put down half of my dogs (one to the back of the head, and these were family members). Could I shoot someone now? Don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Weird thread.
    I do not think it is weird. I am just saying that I feel there are probably some percentage of persons on this post that would not use their firearm under any circumstance even in justified lawful self defense. The animal situation was to show that even trained LEOs may be in the same situation. On PAFOA we have posters who talk how tough they are but may not be prepared to use self defense. Remember the PA LTCF doesn't even require you to have EVER fired a gun. I am just giving everyone who carried something to think about. The fact that you have a LTCF or CCW depending on your location, makes you no safer if you will not use the weapon if the time calls for it. People need to train with their firearms and do the best to look inside themselves whether they actually can use a firearms and employ deadly force if required. The first day of the police academy, they asked everyone if they felt that they were capable of employing deadly force. They stated anyone who could not should leave.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    A Pennsylvania court ruled, a few years back, that it was indeed legal to put down your own dog (some guy had been charged with Animal Cruelty). One to the back of the head at close range, the dog's dead before its body even hits the ground.

As for the vet's office, sometimes not putting the animal down is inhumane.
    Good to know, because I was going to do it one way or the other. But a sure didn't want to shoot the wife's dog.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    I do not think it is weird. I am just saying that I feel there are probably some percentage of persons on this post that would not use their firearm under any circumstance even in justified lawful self defense. The animal situation was to show that even trained LEOs may be in the same situation. On PAFOA we have posters who talk how tough they are but may not be prepared to use self defense. Remember the PA LTCF doesn't even require you to have EVER fired a gun. I am just giving everyone who carried something to think about. The fact that you have a LTCF or CCW depending on your location, makes you no safer if you will not use the weapon if the time calls for it. People need to train with their firearms and do the best to look inside themselves whether they actually can use a firearms and employ deadly force if required. The first day of the police academy, they asked everyone if they felt that they were capable of employing deadly force. They stated anyone who could not should leave.
    The same question has been asked many times on this and other similar content forums. If you are truly curious you have already answered your own question. There are some who will not be able to use their firearm if the situation calls for it. If you are just calling people out as bragards and tough talkers, there are some of those around as well. Some will have no hesitations to shoot. Some have shot. Some have been at the precipice and did not have to shoot. Some have drawn and not had to shoot. Many will not put what they have done on the internet for all posterity.

I have had to put down two beloved family pets. One with an airgun and one without a weapon. I cried both times. I loved them both. I don't love all people, some just suck.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    A Pennsylvania court ruled, a few years back, that it was indeed legal to put down your own dog (some guy had been charged with Animal Cruelty). One to the back of the head at close range, the dog's dead before its body even hits the ground.

As for the vet's office, sometimes not putting the animal down is inhumane.
    Wasn't their a law change due to a breeder putting down something like 65 dogs instead of fixing violations? I know it made a lot of headlines and legislation was pushed.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast