Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Cheap .45 ACP Target/Ball Ammo?

Reloading jacketed bullets for 45acp is stupid. Velocities shouldn't come close to lead up the barrel, so you are pissing your money away needlessly. The last time I bought 200gr LSWC's they cost me 6˘ a piece. Primers I'll price at 3.5˘ a piece and powder at about 1.5˘ a round. So, a conservative estimate for my reloading is $5.50 for a box of 50. The ppl I really for sorry for are 44mag shooters who don't reload. Before the craze prices were around 80˘ a piece retail after tax, I have no idea what they go for now.

(Lehigh County)

I also started reloading my .50 for the desert eagle. when prices hit +$2 a shot, i broke down and bought the dies. every time I shot it, i thought to myself, there goes a beer. now I have it down to about .40 a round, and that was with buying some brass, so it will even get cheaper as I go.

(Luzerne County)

I bought 200gr LSWC's they cost me 6˘ a piece
    Yeah....back in the day. You haven't bought any in a while....prices now are 17 to 30 cents each for 200 grain LSWCs, if you can get them at all.
    I have been casting and/or staging my own for the last few years...that really brings the cost per box down (just a primer and powder....about $2.50/50).
    Pete.
    Last edited by Pete D.; August 12th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Reloading jacketed bullets for 45acp is stupid. Velocities shouldn't come close to lead up the barrel, so you are pissing your money away needlessly. The last time I bought 200gr LSWC's they cost me 6˘ a piece. Primers I'll price at 3.5˘ a piece and powder at about 1.5˘ a round. So, a conservative estimate for my reloading is $5.50 for a box of 50. The ppl I really for sorry for are 44mag shooters who don't reload. Before the craze prices were around 80˘ a piece retail after tax, I have no idea what they go for now.

I pay .22 for a 200gr SWC and am happy for that. Where are you buying them for .06?

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    I also started reloading my .50 for the desert eagle. when prices hit +$2 a shot, i broke down and bought the dies. every time I shot it, i thought to myself, there goes a beer. now I have it down to about .40 a round, and that was with buying some brass, so it will even get cheaper as I go.
    I remember when the local tap room used to charge $.40 for a small draft beer. One of those places with no windows or clocks.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Yeah....back in the day. You haven't bought any in a while....prices now are 17 to 30 cents each for 200 grain LSWCs, if you can get them at all.
    Actually, I bought some earlier this year for that price. Maybe that is "back in the day" for you, but it's not long ago for me.

Edit: after a quick search of vendors I've done business with, I found this for around 10˘ a piece delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I pay .22 for a 200gr SWC and am happy for that. Where are you buying them for .06?

I remember when the local tap room used to charge $.40 for a small draft beer. One of those places with no windows or clocks.
    Clever analogy. After checking, my supplier recently bumped up his prices(as it states on the page I'm about to link) http://www.mastercastbullets.com/productpricelist.html
    for the soft-cast lead bullets he sold and I bought, but only by about 1.5˘ a piece. I tried recently to put an order in with him, but he must be swamped.
    Last edited by Sparxfly72; August 12th, 2013 at 08:37 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanC88 View Post
    I've been taking my Kimber to the range a lot lately, and she's putting a hole in my wallet. Any good deals on target ammo?
    Try selwayarmory looks like they have about twelve boxes of Silver Bear left at $18.45 per box of 50.

http://www.selwayarmory.com/silverbe...f50rounds.aspx
    Shooting is, as it has always been, the fabric of America!

(Tioga County)

Cabela's has Herter's Brass .45 ACP in stock right now for $22.

It's made by Sellier and Bellot in Czech. I've had great luck with it, clean and accurate.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Actually, I bought some earlier this year for that price. Maybe that is "back in the day" for you, but it's not long ago for me.

Edit: after a quick search of vendors I've done business with, I found this for around 10˘ a piece delivered.

Clever analogy. After checking, my supplier recently bumped up his prices(as it states on the page I'm about to link) http://www.mastercastbullets.com/productpricelist.html
    for the soft-cast lead bullets he sold and I bought, but only by about 1.5˘ a piece. I tried recently to put an order in with him, but he must be swamped.
    That surely is a good price....thanks for the link. Actually..under nine cents a bullet. ($77.14/1000 + S/H $11.30 = $88.44)
    Nice.

Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for all of the answers.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Check out Gunbot.net

Plenty of .45 ACP ammo available for between .40 and .50 cents a round.

Buy in bulk quantities I say.

If you don't mind the Russian steel cased ammo that is the cheapest.

Cabela's right now has some decent priced ammo like PMC.

They also have their own brand Herter's and the FMJ flavor is made by Sellier and Bellot in Czech. I had good luck with that in .45 ACP.

AIM Surplus has good deals every day but they go fast.

UNammo has a selection of .45 ammo in bulk that would be ideal for target shooting.

Palmetto State Armory has steel cased Blazer for $18.99 right now.
    Thanks. I placed an ordered with one of your suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12