Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default JS 9mm Disassembly

I have a JS-9mm that was made by Maverick Firearms in the 90's. Does anyone know how to disasseble the slide on this gun? For the record I do have other handguns. I like to keep this one in case I run out of ammo then I can use it for a club. Thanks for any info.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: JS 9mm Disassembly

Angle grinder? Acetylene torch? Big-ass sledge hammer?

Sorry, I have never seen one of those before... Looks kinda like a Hi-Point.

Based on that left side pic, it doesn't even look like it has a means of taking it down (like a pin that gets knocked out, a button that gets pushed, or a lever to rotate)...

Maybe it's a true "Throwaway!" Ditch it when it gets dirty!

Maybe try a Google search and see if you can find a schematic of that or a very similarly-designed pistol, and then go from there...

EDIT: http://picsicio.us/keyword/js%209mm/

Best I got... Sorry!

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; October 30th, 2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: found a link for OP

(Lancaster County)

Wow, just wow . . . You bought that so when one of your friends say "wow that girl got beat with the ugly stick" you can hold it out and say "hell yeah, it's right here."
    Read what I say as if I were speaking in a matter of fact, unassuming tone.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W M&P40c View Post
    Wow, just wow . . . You bought that so when one of your friends say "wow that girl got beat with the ugly stick" you can hold it out and say "hell yeah, it's right here."
    That' one to remember for later use.. haha!

(Montgomery County)

I have never seen one of those before, and I do not advise you to shoot it... ever!

As for take down, I am going to bet that this is a straight blowback firearm. Since there are no levers, knobs or dingus levers here is what I think might work. Try to take it down like a Walther PP/PPK. The Walther takes down by pulling up on the slide while pulling the slide to the rear. Of course, without the hinged trigger guard.

What you have there is a firearm that is very very cheaply built. 9mm is a high pressure high velocity cartridge. As I understand it the manufacturer is out of business, thus if the slide comes off while shooting and destroys a part of your face, you will not have anyone to sue. Which makes me wonder why the company no longer exists. Your safest bet would be to wait for a local "gun buyback" and trade it in for a walmart gift card. If you cannot wait that long, cut it in half with a bandsaw (make sure it is not loaded).
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Berks County)

"The company started out as Haskel then went to Maverick then Stallard then Hi-Point. The originals where big clunky piles of pot metal and they have gotten better as they went . The Haskels and Stallards originally had a dealer price of well under 100.00. I think the cost on the Hi-points in the lower 100.00 range. The early ones looked like bad cartoon drawings of guns (Dick Tracy). They were very heavy"

Nothing on how to strip it but there is the history summed up a little.

Ref: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17812

(Montgomery County)

As per the schematic I linked to earlier, yes, it is straight blow-back...

Agree w/ Steve about trying the "retract-and-lift" technique for getting the slide off....

And also agree w/ him about being concerned about shooting that thing!

Regards,

Bones

(York County)

Thanks to everyone who replied! I do know this gun is a piece of junk. I have been informed several times. And I agree! It looks hideous, the sights suck...its way too big in size to conceal…its also too heavy and it sounds like a bear trap when you hit the slide release. Its all metal, weighing about 40 oz! But it has minimal recoil, its fun to shoot and it always starts a conversation at the range. Never a good one though.

It was given to me by my father. He bought it new. It was his first handgun so I probably won’t cut it in half. I have shot it several times and its pretty reliable. I never knew how it came apart. Just thought I should clean it well.

Pulling up and back on the slide didn’t work. Maybe I’ll have to ask a local gunsmith.

Definitely bigger than my Kahr CW9…

(Cumberland County)

If its anything like a Hi-Point of today there should be a pin you can tap out once you lock the slide back into the open position. It probably will be at the very back of frame and can only be visible in the slot where the safety usually engages.

(Washington County)

- Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast