Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Input for machine gun rental business - RANGE Options

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    With live weapons?
    Well how else would you prefer it?

You would dig like a 15-20 foot hole build a makeshift maze out of plywood then shoot the targets through the maze. You know you would want to do that.

You could just use paintball to save the poor plywood house's demise from real bullets.

(Washington County)

In regards to the ranges, 200 yards and less is plenty adequate for what you want to do.

In my professional experience at training centers that support the US military and federal government, the static 25-300 yard ranges get a heavy workout with the 300 one being the most quiet. Most if not all of the full auto action that goes on, including machine gun qualifications, is on the 50, 100 and 200 yard ranges. The long ranges beyond 300 are often requested and talked about, but rarely ever used.

I think the biggest issue is making sure you have adequate backstop for all this.
    We been thinking the same thing about keeping 200 yards the longest range, this really helps the layout. The brush is really thick in the valley, so making it difficult to get a good feel for the lay of the land, but good news is there is no water, which makes federal and state regs much easier to follow.

So tentatively it looks like a 100 foot pistol / SMG range and a 600 foot range for everything else. Backstop design is still being debated, but leaning towards building a 3-sided tree/dirt design with either sand or ballistic rubber to reduce ricochets. Thinking 40' to 50' wide.

http://perfectrubbermulch.com/produc...rubber-strips/
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Northampton County)

In regards to the ranges, 200 yards and less is plenty adequate for what you want to do.

In my professional experience at training centers that support the US military and federal government, the static 25-300 yard ranges get a heavy workout with the 300 one being the most quiet. Most if not all of the full auto action that goes on, including machine gun qualifications, is on the 50, 100 and 200 yard ranges. The long ranges beyond 300 are often requested and talked about, but rarely ever used.

I think the biggest issue is making sure you have adequate backstop for all this.
    I had to qualify with the M249 monthly for a year. It was done on M16 ranges. 300 meters (and less) or 500 meters (and less).

Target training with the M249 (vs. "live fire" training), which was also about once a month, and was out to about 800 meters I think.

But I shoot a lot of full auto now and anything unsupported is 100 yards max, and more fun closer depending on the firearm and target.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCGS View Post
    You don't always get what you asked for, but in this case you did:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=439406385

Probably be about 2 or 3 months before it's in our hands and you are invited down for a free shoot of it once it arrives. Thanks for the suggestion TheGhost27.
    Boy, does this just keep getting better and better You're so welcome!
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    Well how else would you prefer it?

You would dig like a 15-20 foot hole build a makeshift maze out of plywood then shoot the targets through the maze. You know you would want to do that.

You could just use paintball to save the poor plywood house's demise from real bullets.
    I would leave shoot houses to the pro's. Check out the Alliance, OH Police Department's shoot house to see how it's done right. Some classes taught there are open to the highly qualified civilian.

If you're going to be shooting .50 BMG I suggest having a 300 yard range with a very serious backstop. Remember every round that leaves your range basically has your name and address written on it. Make sure there isn't a house in line with your shooting range for miles, if at all possible. Even if a round never does leave your range, they will probably still try and say they can hear them whizzing over or something if they are the kind of people to complain.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Tioga County)

Live fire shoot houses are a major PITA. They cost a fair whack of change to build and maintain and then you have the liability when dealing with civilian folks off the streets. I think that is beyond what WCGS is looking to do.

For most of that type of training, Simunition is preferred and works well.

Most backstop I see at full auto ranges is several stories high.

(Venango County)

More modern stuff like a converted glock 17 or a Kriss vector the modern Thompson and something like an aa12 or a convert sigia 12 and an ak47 and 74.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by allen16323 View Post
    More modern stuff like a converted glock 17 or a Kriss vector the modern Thompson and something like an aa12 or a convert sigia 12 and an ak47 and 74.
    Thanks for the suggestions Allen16323.. We are staying away from full-auto Glocks since they are hard to control, and already have an AK-47 on order (should be here in about 4 weeks or so), but been thinking of getting a Kriss Vector, but not to many people ask about them.

I never thought about getting a select fire Saiga 12. Anybody ever shoot one here? Was it manageable?
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Washington County)

The Kriss Vector SMG is quite the bullet hose. Really high rate of fire. Smooth and low recoil. Shoots steel case wolf ammo fine.

Here is a video of me shooting it at the subgun competition at Knob Creek. I only made it halfway through the stage because the rate of fire was so high on full auto that touching the trigger sends 5 rounds down range and the Eotech zero was questionable. This competition had to be shot on full auto mode. This was my second time handling the gun so I was really sloppy with the manual of arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mof5iPlbL4I

The two round burst is cool. It's so fast the bullets basically go through the same hole and you don't have to do much to make it happen.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

If you pause this video right at 0:29 you can see what they charge at Knob Creek during the big shoots for rentals on the lower range. Hundreds of people pay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdmEcWMgQ9o

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast