Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: 9mm AR15 - Best Way to Build One?

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Had a chance to fire a fully automatic Colt AR in 9mm when I was in the service, can't remember what model they called it. It handled and functioned well. What was nice is that it's an easy transition for those familiar with the AR platform. There's not too many things more gratifying than a 9mm SMG. Or any SMG for that matter.
    You had a different experience than me. I tried one on my M16 and it was like a yoyo on a pogo stick.

I do like many 9mm SMGs, that one not so much. Perhaps it was the confirguration, but he had all the Colt recommended items so not sure.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You had a different experience than me. I tried one on my M16 and it was like a yoyo on a pogo stick.

I do like many 9mm SMGs, that one not so much. Perhaps it was the confirguration, but he had all the Colt recommended items so not sure.
    What most don't know is that a 9mm has a similar recoil to a 5.56, just a different recoil pulse. There are some things that can be done to smooth it out, but due to being a blowback system it will have recoil.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

Not sure either, perhaps it was the rate of fire. Working on the range I had a chance over the years to shoot several SMG's since we worked with police agencies and foreign military. Probably the most exotic was a Thompson. My personal favorite was a Sterling courtesy of the British army. It fit me well along with a relatively slow rate of fire I shot it very well. Not most would agree with me on that choice though. Another one I really liked was a S&W 76, only got to run one magazine through it but it left a good impression.

(Northampton County)

ROF is important. I like 750-850. It seems smoother. Above 900s is usually too much recoil 9mm or above. There seems to be another sweet spot somewhere under 600, where the Sterling falls. 600-700 is the bad zone, where the uzi falls. Too bouncy. I'm sure you can get used to it, but not ideal.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Tioga County)

The Uzi feels like a sewing machine. Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da. It's not bad but I expected a different feeling.

(Allegheny County)

And it begins...

I just ordered a 9mm mag block from PSA. Uses Colt-style 9mm mags.
    Can't beat the $29.99 price. Hope it works out OK.

I researched a little and it seems there are only a few brands available. Considering the Hahn block is $100+, I'm a bit skeptical of a thirty dollar unit, but that fits my budget, so...

I passed on it a while back because I just didn't have the money - then they sold out.
    I signed up to be notified when it came back in stock, but honestly didn't expect to see it again at the same price. That was a few months ago and I forgot all about it until I got the back in stock email the other day - same "sale" price.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Armstrong County)

I hope that block works.
    I would deff look around for a Colt, (or other brand) 9mm bolt catch. It has a longer tab to allow it to reach the SMG mag follower.
    Brownells is out of stock.http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod4884.aspx

(Westmoreland County)

All I know is that when you finish it I hope you let me try it out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    And it begins...

I just ordered a 9mm mag block from PSA. Uses Colt-style 9mm mags.
    Can't beat the $29.99 price. Hope it works out OK.

I researched a little and it seems there are only a few brands available. Considering the Hahn block is $100+, I'm a bit skeptical of a thirty dollar unit, but that fits my budget, so...

I passed on it a while back because I just didn't have the money - then they sold out.
    I signed up to be notified when it came back in stock, but honestly didn't expect to see it again at the same price. That was a few months ago and I forgot all about it until I got the back in stock email the other day - same "sale" price.

Should work just fine. I have a Hahn dedicated 9mm block that works great, but they are 200.00

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    All I know is that when you finish it I hope you let me try it out.
    Me Too ... I was going to skip doing the 5.56 /223 on my first AR and build a 9mm Glock mag AR first.. Some Day.. I'll Do the EM one part at a time build...

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast