Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    IMO, you need to stick to something basic 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45ACP. I wouldn't even recommend a 357Sig for you...you seem to be new to the game and you need to buy something that you can find ammo for at walmart.
    Just for you Aub

"SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS"

A man who has no patriotic feeling is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

(Northumberland County)

WOW!!! You guys are wasting a LOT of time debating a subject that has been gone over and over... The Zealots on either side will always find an excuse that their chosen caliber is "the best".

I have both a .45 and several 9mm's, I have owned a .40S&W in the past.

I carry a 9mm for the following reasons, First it is a smaller gun, second it is much lighter, third it is much higher capacity.

I carry a CZ p01 which has a 14+1 capacity as opposed to my 1911 with 8+1 That means I have to reload less, and it gives me a better chance to score that hit that will put the bad guy down.

There is only marginal difference in reality between the handgun calibers 9mm and larger. The real key is hitting what you're aiming at quickly and being able to hit it multiple times.

ALL Handguns are POOR manstoppers. As soon as you realize that the sooner you can stop worrying about what caliber you carry and worry about how good your skills are with your weapon of choice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Drew View Post
    ALL Handguns are POOR manstoppers. As soon as you realize that the sooner you can stop worrying about what caliber you carry and worry about how good your skills are with your weapon of choice.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    The shooting community is not led by scientists, hence the idiosyncratic terminology. ...

Shooters' parlance may not map perfectly onto scientists'. But since they aren't going to change, and we all need to communicate, perhaps it's best just to get along to go along here.
    I didn't mean any disrespect. And no, I am not a guy who wants to impose vocabulary of one community (scientific) onto another (shooting). I was just wondering about the terminology that the shooting community uses.

Thanks dgg, and thanks, Tom!

I agree, I all handguns are poor manstoppers and require several center mass shots. As drew said I won't waste anymore time debating about the points etc, simply want to throw out some numbers so that they could be interpretted and speak for themselves. Oh and for the record, most of your 9mm guns mights be a bit smaller than my .45, but you do NOT have much more capacity over my .45, in fact some of you might actually have less capacity than my .45 which holds 13+1.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Oh and for the record, most of your 9mm guns mights be a bit smaller than my .45, but you do NOT have much more capacity over my .45, in fact some of you might actually have less capacity than my .45 which holds 13+1.
    Sure, but concealability is the third leg of the caliber-capacity-size tradeoff triangle. Nothing is free. More power to you (literally!) if you can conceal your double stack .45 year round. I found that problematic when it got to be 90 degrees outside.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567