Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Must a LTCF be carried on your person ?

OK, all that banter aside, I'm curious about the assertions I've seen that licenses vary, and in some cases only a reduced wallet sized card is issued in place of a larger document in light of 6109 (e)(3) The license to carry a firearm shall be designed to be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be in a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police... and (e)(5) The original license shall be issued to the applicant.... I've never gotten anything other than the wallet sized card.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    ...I was only going my person experience in an academic discussion; which is to say: a discussion where the 'premise', in 'reality' has already been decided - where one is discussing 'established law', so to speak, but where a hypothetical or theoretical aspect that is by nature admittedly 'impractical' but yet holds some position (no matter how tenuous) that could, again: theoretically, challenge it...
    Huh?

10 characters

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    ...I'm curious about the assertions I've seen that licenses vary, and in some cases only a reduced wallet sized card is issued in place of a larger document in light of 6109 (e)(3) The license to carry a firearm shall be designed to be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be in a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police... and (e)(5) The original license shall be issued to the applicant.... I've never gotten anything other than the wallet sized card.
    Perhaps the various Sheriffs (and Philly PD) have decided to interpret that section of the UFA to mean that a license is an abstraction and, therefore, that they are free to design whatever form of "ID"/"document" they wish.

But, seriously (and the above was not meant to be taken seriously - especially for you, GL) this is indeed a curiosity. And, it isn't an assertion - it's the law.

A similar worded section of the UFA regarding the "uniform" across-the-Commonwealth application for the license has actually been a complaint among some LTCF licensees (including myself) for a while now.

Many Sheriffs seem to like to customize and personalize what (according to the UFA) is supposed to be a "uniform" LTCF application - often these Sheriffs will include questions and add requirements that are clearly not found on the majority of applications from other counties.

I, myself, have made meager attempts to find the actual "form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police" - or, rather, one that I can get an 'authority' from the PSP to actually confirm any form that is indeed officially "prescribed".

There are what many consider "pristine" PSP issued applications that can be found, but, to my (admittedly limited and layperson's) knowledge, the PSP has yet to acknowlege which/what is their "officially" prescribed LTCF application form.

While a cop or someone like that might find it confusing, possibly even irritating, should they encounter varying types of LTCF "ID" documents issued by various Sheriffs, some of us civilian LTCF holders are downright peeved that the applications are not "uniform" Statewide as per the UFA.

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    Huh?

10 characters
    Um... "huh" what?
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Chester County)

I've read many threads about the varying applications that are supposed to be uniform, but am only now starting to pay any attention to the fact that this issue also affects the actual LTCFs as well. Has the PSP failed to standardize a form for both the app and the LTCF? No published documents to be found?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    Has the PSP failed to standardize a form for both the app and the LTCF? No published documents to be found?
    I have no idea.

My guess is that the PSP issues (what I can only assume is) the "standardized" LTCF prescribed application form at some sort of intervals (maybe yearly???) and disseminates them directly to the individual Sheriff's (and, I am also guessing, to the Philadelphia PD as well). However, my meager attempts to discover if this is the actual case have led me no where. I have never seen any information anywhere that would suggest anything about that one way or the other.

The thread here: LTCF Application PDF has a link to download an LTCF application form that appears to be code dated for October 2008. I can only guess that this 'version' of the form was dated by the PSP.

As for the "statewide standard" for the official PSP prescription for the "design" of the "licenses" (meaning here the license "ID card", of course), I have never seen such a thing; nor do I recall ever seeing any discussion regarding it. To be honest, I never gave any thought whatsoever until you mentioned it in this thread.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Montgomery County)

I would think if the guns on you ,so should the LTCF permit should.

(Monroe County)

Sometimes I forget to carry the issued LTCF card from the sheriffs Dept on me.

So in case that should happen, I decided now to leave a photo copy of my LTCF in my car along with a photo copy of the bill of sale of both Firearms I purchased from Dunkleberger...

Just in case one of the Leo's decide to say its a stolen weapon!!.. Thats not gonna fly with me.... lol

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by iceman9999 View Post
    along with a photo copy of the bill of sale of both Firearms I purchased from Dunkleberger...

Just in case one of the Leo's decide to say its a stolen weapon!!.. Thats not gonna fly with me.... lol
    It won't matter. You do realize it's completely possible to have purchased a stolen weapon from a dealer, and if it's been reported stolen, that bill of sale won't mean a damn thing?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    It won't matter. You do realize it's completely possible to have purchased a stolen weapon from a dealer, and if it's been reported stolen, that bill of sale won't mean a damn thing?

really? lol

I only purchase new NEVER used and NEVER will purchase used..

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    The bill of sale implies that the Record of Sale Database links the gun to him; if there's also a report that the gun is stolen, either the bill of sale or the Database entry should keep him out of jail from the very start.

People who buy guns from storefront FFL's have a strong argument that they were unaware that the guns might be stolen.

Of course, the absence of such a record is not proof of awareness that it's stolen, since you might have purchased it in some other state and then moved here, or it might have been a familial gift; but they could lock you up while they sort it out.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast