Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Which pistol for urban/wilderness survival kit?

my 1st choice would be any stainless steel 3" or 4" 357 mag as you can shoot 38 specials for lots of practice and .357 mag for just about any game including deer or black bear. plus 38/357 bird shot loads for snakes & small game

my 2nd choice would be the Taurus Judge 45lc & 410 shotgun - i know others have talked about ammo problems but one can find it and hoard it and also get into reloading a vast supply for the future. fwiw

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Which pistol for urban/wilderness survival kit?

Quote Originally Posted by PD25 View Post
    my 1st choice would be any stainless steel 3" or 4" 357 mag as you can shoot 38 specials for lots of practice and .357 mag for just about any game including deer or black bear. plus 38/357 bird shot loads for snakes & small game

my 2nd choice would be the Taurus Judge 45lc & 410 shotgun - i know others have talked about ammo problems but one can find it and hoard it and also get into reloading a vast supply for the future. fwiw
    Thank you! Any brand/model preference on the .357 magnum?

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    I've never been a big fan of Glocks, and don't know all that much about them. But again, assuming only one pistol were allowed, I'd go with either revolver in .357 or a semi in .45ACP. The G21 would fit that bill, but I wouldn't want to offer up any other opinion specifically on the G21 as I don't know the platform.
    i totally agree with a revolver in 357mag. I just bought a Ruger new vaquero in 357mag with a 5.5" barrel and i personally love it. like someone earlier said you can use bird shot, 38sp, and 357mag cartridges. I know SA may not be the best choice for home defense or any defense for some people, but i have no problem with it. i just shot a cotton mouth yesterday when i went fishing with a 38sp snakeshot at more or less 20 feet and killed it with one shot.
    i keep a snakeshot round first then a 38sp followed by 3, 357mags when i carry my gun (i keep one chamber empty to be safe).
    I would recomend it.
    Think like a man of action, Act like a man of thought

If I were only allowed one of each for SHTF, (that would have to include fighting off zombies & putting game on the table), it'd be my M&P 15, 870 12ga, & the Glock 23.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

KOSMICAPPLE78- I WOULD PREFER A RUGER DA/SA SS 3''OR4" AS THEY ARE BY FAR ALMOST INDESTRUCTIBLE - I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I WENT TO RUGERS REPAIR COURSE IN N.H. AND 8- OF US STUDENTS TRIED TO LITTERALLY DESTROY A DA/SA 357 MAG SECURITY SIX REVOLVER BY THROWING IT ON CONCRETE AND STEEL I BEAMS AND THE ONLY DAMEGE DONE WAS WE BROKE OFF THE TIP OF THE HAMMER AND THE WEAPON STILL FIRES 6- ROUNDS IN TESTING FWIW

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    This is going to be tough to use effectively for either self-defense or hunting with shot, as the pattern opens up dramatically beyond a few yards. With .45LC it might be OK, but then you run into the ammo availability issue again.
    Agreed. I don't think they can be had in barrel length much longer then 4 or 5 inches, but at least you have the option of using .410. Then worst case scenario .410 shells will be easier to find then .45 long.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

KOSMICAPPLE78- I WOULD PREFER A RUGER DA/SA SS 3''OR4" AS THEY ARE BY FAR ALMOST INDESTRUCTIBLE - I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I WENT TO RUGERS REPAIR COURSE IN N.H. AND 8- OF US STUDENTS TRIED TO LITTERALLY DESTROY A DA/SA 357 MAG SECURITY SIX REVOLVER BY THROWING IT ON CONCRETE AND STEEL I BEAMS AND THE ONLY DAMEGE DONE WAS WE BROKE OFF THE TIP OF THE HAMMER AND THE WEAPON STILL FIRES 6- ROUNDS IN TESTING FWIW
    Aside from the all caps, this post has more missing periods than a trailer park in West Virginia.

Jan
    Last edited by MostlyHarmless; April 14th, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

that is an excellent choice. how much do they run though? i was bought my RNV for about $530. and basically i was in a budget of $500 but i wanted a nice ruger.
    Think like a man of action, Act like a man of thought

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Which pistol for urban/wilderness survival kit?

Irish pilot - you should be able to find a use one at any gun store in the $300- $400 dollar range

to mostlyharmless- what ever...............................

(Lancaster County)

Browning high power or the 1911.
    Gott mit uns

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast