Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Is the Chesco Sheriff's deputy wrong, or am I?

I don't see it mentioned in the tread so I just thought I would ask that we go easy on Bunny Welsh through all of this as she is pro gun and a decent Sheriff. Just sayin'

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by bsteimel View Post
    I wanted to clarify this statement here with the situation described. My wife or a child is operating a vehicle owned by myself and there is a gun in the car. If that wife or child is simply eligible to own a firearm and I have a license to conceal carry, then it is legal for the gun to be in the car. Even if they don't have a license to conceal carry and if I am not in the car with them.

This covers the situation in which the non license holder borrows the car and forgets to take the gun out or simply moves the car without me being inside it.

Am i correct here?
    IANAL and it is best to go there for verification and case law review.

But that is my understanding of the statute. Your child cannot be under 18, IIRC, that is the cut-off for having control of a firearm in PA so that is why it states 'otherwise eligible to possess' in the statute.

GL, if available, may be able to clarify if he is predisposed to do so. The interwebs are not the best place to be dispensing 'help' which is why I qualify my statement(s).
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    I don't see it mentioned in the tread so I just thought I would ask that we go easy on Bunny Welsh through all of this as she is pro gun and a decent Sheriff. Just sayin'
    All the more reason her deputies should be giving out accurate information about the Law and not an opinion of what they think the law is.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    I agree that she's a good Sheriff, and I appreciate her historically pro-gun stance. I probably should have worked that into the email somewhere.

What those deputies are telling people is likely pretty far removed from what she deals with every day, and she likely has no idea it's included in their spiel. I think it is a training issue that will be addressed but all the guys in the office at the time agreed, so I figured the word needs to come from the top. 35 people a day for 2 years have likely been given this bad info, and most will likely not seek any further information that what they're given at the courthouse (even though the deputies recommend further training and education), and that's a lot of ill-informed citizens.

(Chester County)

I declair bullshit. I've been pulled over in chester county with my handgun in the glovebox. It was in there due to the fact I was working at the time and I used to leave it in there while at that job. My registration, insurance was in the glovebox hence the only reason I even informed the officer of it in the first place (I normally don't, who needs the hassle of running your permit/ gun) and he was actually really cool about the whole thing and no mention of "it needs to be on your hip."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
    I declair bullshit. I've been pulled over in chester county with my handgun in the glovebox. It was in there due to the fact I was working at the time and I used to leave it in there while at that job. My registration, insurance was in the glovebox hence the only reason I even informed the officer of it in the first place (I normally don't, who needs the hassle of running your permit/ gun) and he was actually really cool about the whole thing and no mention of "it needs to be on your hip."
    Not sure how it is in Chester County but I don't think the Sheriff's office is in charge of trafic law enforcement. Wouldn't that be for the local PD. If so It dosen't make the op bs. It just points out that the leo who stopped you knew you were not breaking the law.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Chester County)

Just a heads up, the Sheriff's name is Carolyn B. Welsh.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Is the Chesco Sheriff's deputy wrong, or am I? UPDATED: The Sheriff responds

The Sheriff called me to discuss the matter. I updated the OP with the latest info. Thanks again everyone.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    I agree that she's a good Sheriff, and I appreciate her historically pro-gun stance. I probably should have worked that into the email somewhere.

What those deputies are telling people is likely pretty far removed from what she deals with every day, and she likely has no idea it's included in their spiel. I think it is a training issue that will be addressed but all the guys in the office at the time agreed, so I figured the word needs to come from the top. 35 people a day for 2 years have likely been given this bad info, and most will likely not seek any further information that what they're given at the courthouse (even though the deputies recommend further training and education), and that's a lot of ill-informed citizens.
    Most people just do something without asking questions.

You are one of the few that wants to know the ins and outs so as to handle things the right way.

I bet 99% of those people that have obtained their LTCF never ask a single question.

I would hope the Sheriff would inform her deputies of the proper information so when people do ask they will be given the proper answer.

Just a thought (and you would know your area way better than I do), what about placing a slimmed down and not harsh on the Sheriff kind of letter to the editor of your local newspaper.

Just kind of word it as the information you obtained from the deputy at the desk was incorrect (Sounds better than WRONG - though they are the same) and here is the correct answer to this question ...........

That way you may be able to reach a lot of people - even people that may not own a firearm but they read the Letters to the Editor section of the newspaper.

Your chance to reach a very large number of people with one emailed letter to the editor.

Just a thought ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Is the Chesco Sheriff's deputy wrong, or am I? UPDATED: The Sheriff responds

Wow. I must say that I am impressed by the sheriffs handling of this situation. I personally think more of our elected officials should use this as an example of how to lead. Kudos to her!

Rick

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast