Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Re: Deer hunting 23/24

I go out a few hours every morning, will hold out for a buck until next week at which point I'll just whack a doe - we're loaded with them, could practically bayonet one off my back porch. Kids are gone and my wife doesn't like venison so I just need 1 a year for myself. Saturday was fairly busy, quite a few deer running around, Sunday was slower but still saw the same skanky forkhorn I saw on Saturday (using a peep sight on a lever gun, can't see if there's a brow tine or not but he's pretty small), this morning was just dead but lots of squirrels.
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

(Lehigh County)

A deer called Moose: Pennsylvania hunter's trophy 10-point has an unusual antler rack

A York County man shot a deer Saturday that has antlers that resembles a bull moose, just one part of his memorable weekend.

Bryce Slusser, 24, of Seven Valleys, was hunting on the opening day of Pennsylvania's rifle deer season hand oping to encounter a buck that had last been seen on his trail cameras several months ago. “I had him on camera three times in August,” Slusser, a construction worker, said.

The mature deer has thick, palmated antlers, earning him the nickname “Moose."

https://www.ydr.com/story/sports/out...k/71731433007/

(Luzerne County)

No hunting today. Had my 7 hour chemo treatment. Can*t hunt tomorrow either, as my wife and have our regular family doctor visit. Tried to convince the wife to change it**but that was a no go! lol!

Will try to get out Saturday if the rain holds off. Supposed to be in low 50*s on Saturday too. Don*t know if that will be good or bad.

(Butler County)

Been out 5 days. People with me got does. Can't get one close enough for open sights, that's gonna change tomorrow. Seen one nice buck running full speed past us. Hey,there's a.......he's gone. Had a spike feeding near me that I could of hit with a rock thrown underhand.
    It was kinda cold a couple of those days.

(Bucks County)

I will get out in PA woods for first time Saturday afternoon. Took the rest of the week off to burn vacation days and do a little hunting. Unfortunately odds for success keep going downhill this week.

(Butler County)

Things are a lot better when you use a scoped rifle. Got a big fat doe.
    In the woods at 7:00. Pulled the trigger at 7:30. Hung and skinned by 8:30.
    Nothing to this deer hunting.................sometimes.
    Makes up for the days I sat in the woods all day and seen one tail.

(Bucks County)

No deerz again this year. Was out 7 days, predawn to dusk and saw one shmall doe. Little bitch snuck up on me. It's amazing how quietly they can move through the woods.

Saw her out of the corner of my eye at my 3:00, about 4-5 yds away. Turned my head at 1/2 RPM to see what it was, and she was giving me the stink eye. I didn't budge and it eye-fucked me for ten more seconds, then walked up to the top of the small ridge behind me and stopped.

I probably could have turned and got my rifle up for a shot but I just wasn't feeling it. It was very small and it being Sunday at 8:30, figured I'd pass and wait and see. It stayed there about 10 seconds then made a left and took off along the ridge and into the thick stuff.

I guess I shoulda been feeling it. That was the only one I saw all week. I did see a buttload of squirrels, a couple woodpeckers, four turkeys, various songbirds, and a field mouse.

As much as I do enjoy getting away from it all(mostly), and becoming one with nature and all that, I really want to bag one. I haven't gotten one in three years. It's pathetic.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    No deerz again this year. Was out 7 days, predawn to dusk and saw one shmall doe. Little bitch snuck up on me. It's amazing how quietly they can move through the woods.

Saw her out of the corner of my eye at my 3:00, about 4-5 yds away. Turned my head at 1/2 RPM to see what it was, and she was giving me the stink eye. I didn't budge and it eye-fucked me for ten more seconds, then walked up to the top of the small ridge behind me and stopped.

I probably could have turned and got my rifle up for a shot but I just wasn't feeling it. It was very small and it being Sunday at 8:30, figured I'd pass and wait and see. It stayed there about 10 seconds then made a left and took off along the ridge and into the thick stuff.

I guess I shoulda been feeling it. That was the only one I saw all week. I did see a buttload of squirrels, a couple woodpeckers, four turkeys, various songbirds, and a field mouse.

As much as I do enjoy getting away from it all(mostly), and becoming one with nature and all that, I really want to bag one. I haven't gotten one in three years. It's pathetic.
    Still have 6 more days.

(Bucks County)

Quiet afternoon. Didn*t hear 1 shot. I had a doe come up my shooting lane around 4:40 pm and casually browse her way right under me. Was hoping a nice buck still wanted to get some and was following her.

Temps were nice, about 48F when I left at dark.

I hunted exclusively with an open sighted pistol. No opportunities on a legal buck. Flintlock here were come...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast