Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Known Problems with Bushmaster Ar 15?

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    <snip>

I thought Colt was the AR15 to buy?
    I detect the smell of an opening can 'o worms...

Let's just say that for many reasons, Colt is considered as the yardstick of measurement for all things AR; they took over the AR market for .mil and civilian after Armalite involved them in the 60's. They pretty much wrote the book on the AR. Still, many ARs are considered as exceeding Colt, while many ARs will remain in the shadow of the cavallino rampant.

IMHO, the Colt brand has cachet and will always be re-salable should the need arise to get money fast to pay bills, provided it is priced right and/or doesn't look like you dragged it over Afghani rock-piles.
    Meanwhile, "lesser thought of" ARs may take longer to unload or only after discounts, while pricey boutique ARs may sell faster - if priced right.
    Last edited by nfafan; October 5th, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Philadelphia County)

Colt is like a woman's little black dress. It's never out of style and can be worn pretty much anywhere. In other words, you can't go wrong with one.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Colt is like a woman's little black dress. It's never out of style and can be worn pretty much anywhere. In other words, you can't go wrong with one.

456 - Whats the difference in the Price vs. Quality in a Stag vs Colt?

I use to think I don't need 2 ARs i can only shoot one at a time and if it was bug out time I'd only be able to carry one. For some reason I have many hand guns but only 3 assault rifles where is the logic in this. At one time I thought 3 were enough but it seems I'm behind time.

Obviously the BM is more like a checkered dress out of style most time unless a ACR.

(Luzerne County)

456 - Whats the difference in the Price vs. Quality in a Stag vs Colt?

I use to think I don't need 2 ARs i can only shoot one at a time and if it was bug out time I'd only be able to carry one. For some reason I have many hand guns but only 3 assault rifles where is the logic in this. At one time I thought 3 were enough but it seems I'm behind time.

Obviously the BM is more like a checkered dress out of style most time unless a ACR.
    The Colt AR15s are basically a standard. They're built up with attention to crossing the T's and dotting the I's, so to speak. Carriers are MPI'ed, bolts are MPI'ed and if I recall correctly, shot peened. Barrels are not batch tested like others, etc.

I wouldn't sweat it. There is allot of kool-aid around the magic list of who does what and uses what with Colt leading the pack. I don't know much about Stag rifles but off hand, I'd probably pick the Bushmaster over a Stag.

The Bushmaster is not a checkered dress that is out of style IMO. More like a dress from Sears vs. one from Macy's.

AR's are very easy to work on. If you're not ham fisted with hand tools, there is not much that can't be done.

I say shoot the gun, if it works and you're happy with it, cool. I doubt you'll have any issues with it as is. Don't think too much into it or else you'll be spending lots of money chasing improvements that won't yield significant changes. The only improvements that would make any significant difference would be a better trigger as most trigger groups are horrible on ARs. Add some additional staking to the carrier key and replace the extractor spring and insert. Also, unless you have small hands, a grip with more meat on it makes a world of difference. I prefer the Magpul MIAD with full backstrap and any AR that enters my kingdom immediately gets a MIAD.

(Allegheny County)

<snip>

<snip>
    Relax; don't confuse "need" with "want". You are not behind the times.

You are correct; you can only carry so many guns and shoot so many at a given time.

And just because some folks on message boards seem to have more than they "need"; that is because they found a way to pay for their "wants". (Hopefully in a responsible manner!)

I "want" a Rhodie FAL, but I don't "need" a Rhodie FAL. So I must find a way to satisfy the want without 'effing up the family responsibilities.

I "want" a POF 416, but I have 3 different 5.56 rifles already, so I don't "need" another 5.56 gun - unless I dump one or more of the ones I have so that I can satisfy the want.

So no, you're not behind the times, you're in line with the rest of us. That "one is none" and "two is one" crap is fine - when the taxpayers are buying your guns for you. It doesn't always work that way in the world of bills, income, family responsibilities and so on.

Sermon over.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    The Colt AR15s are basically a standard. They're built up with attention to crossing the T's and dotting the I's, so to speak. Carriers are MPI'ed, bolts are MPI'ed and if I recall correctly, shot peened. Barrels are not batch tested like others, etc.

I wouldn't sweat it. There is allot of kool-aid around the magic list of who does what and uses what with Colt leading the pack. I don't know much about Stag rifles but off hand, I'd probably pick the Bushmaster over a Stag.

The Bushmaster is not a checkered dress that is out of style IMO. More like a dress from Sears vs. one from Macy's.

AR's are very easy to work on. If you're not ham fisted with hand tools, there is not much that can't be done.

I say shoot the gun, if it works and you're happy with it, cool. I doubt you'll have any issues with it as is. Don't think too much into it or else you'll be spending lots of money chasing improvements that won't yield significant changes. The only improvements that would make any significant difference would be a better trigger as most trigger groups are horrible on ARs. Add some additional staking to the carrier key and replace the extractor spring and insert. Also, unless you have small hands, a grip with more meat on it makes a world of difference. I prefer the Magpul MIAD with full backstrap and any AR that enters my kingdom immediately gets a MIAD.
    +1 to all that.

Half the schitt out here for ARs is just cosmetic tchotchke that really - look in a mirror and convince yourself - doesn't improve schiit.

It just makes you/your AR kewler.

Everytime I'm at a show and start grabbing schitt for my ARs I have to stop and ask WTF is this really going to do for my AR?

If useful, fine, else I put it down and buy more ammo. If it doesn't add a purpose to you, its a waste.

Google "KISS carbine" and look at the basic, meat and potatoes ARs that folks have. Same for "Izzy ARs".

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345