Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: Forum Rules & Enforcement Completely Re-vamped and updated.

The rules really don't seem to be all that different. And speaking as someone who is bound to inadvertantly run afoul of them at least once; while no system can be completely impartial when it relies on human beings to administer, it's still an attempt at being as open and transparent as possible for a forum without resorting to mob rule. I can appreciate that.

(Philadelphia County)

I just hope the mods will excercise judgement in issuing spankings for "implied racism". It's difficult to exclude comments about the racial aspects of gun control, especially when discussing Philadelphia politics and Philadelphia crime rates.

I hope that the mere mention of demographic trends and cultural differences won't automatically amount to "implied racism". Most of the time these comments are not intended to be hateful, but many of them don't exactly fall in line with politically correct orthodoxy. Sometimes it's necessary to point out inconvienent truths for the purpose of figuring things out.

Rules all seem fair to me, and fairly standard, really. I think we should all conduct ourselves as civilized adults. I was surprised to see the focus on race issues. I really only frequent one part of the forum (reloading) and have not seen any evidence of racial issues there, but am saddened that there may be some in other parts of the forum.

(Mifflin County)

The only ones I still don't like is the "no discussion in classifieds". It seems pointless to me, and actually a hindrance.

Joe posts something used for more than the current new price of something. Perhaps it's a typo, perhaps he was confusing what he paid for it with a different item. Why is it so wrong to give him a heads up, that he might want to rethink his price, to help him actually sell the item? Or, to keep Jeff, who doesn't know the new price of the item from over-paying someone who's just trying to get someone who isn't informed on the price/value of the item.

Barry post a item up with a description that's very lacking. 10 of us are interested in more details of the item. Why do we all need to PM Barry with the same question, when 1 post would cover it, and the other 9 could see the post and not overload Barry with PMs. We could just wait for Barry to update the original post, or respond in another reply with details.

Yes, I know these aren't NEW rules, I just never agreed with them, and figured now was as good a time as any to bring it up.

(Delaware County)

.... on the double post question .... as seen when the search feature was down, not everyone hits the new post button to see whats new, as such I have two similar threads regarding going to SPAG on Sundays, one posted in the shoots and range trips forum and one in the Philadelphia forum, is this going to be considered a violation?

Bill

(Allegheny County)

Bill, don't read into things so much... I can see why you posted that twice.

The issue is the folks who post the same thing in every conceivable forum in order to "make sure everyone sees it".

It's usually quite obvious.

Some folks seem to be unaware that the "new" rules are the old rules.
    Not much has changed.

I'd like to thank danp for having this thread available for people to ask questions, and have them answered.
    danp for presiden... nevermind.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
    I just hope the mods will excercise judgement in issuing spankings for "implied racism". It's difficult to exclude comments about the racial aspects of gun control, especially when discussing Philadelphia politics and Philadelphia crime rates.

I hope that the mere mention of demographic trends and cultural differences won't automatically amount to "implied racism". Most of the time these comments are not intended to be hateful, but many of them don't exactly fall in line with politically correct orthodoxy. Sometimes it's necessary to point out inconvienent truths for the purpose of figuring things out.
    My understanding (mods, please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the headings are significant. So one would be punished for "implied racism" only if the post is actually hateful. Accordingly, it would perfectly acceptable to say something that is doubleplus-ungood by political correctness standards, provided that it is not hateful. And using a racial slur in an obviously sarcastic manner would not result in a permanent ban, because its use is not "extreme[ly] hateful".

(Northumberland County)

personaly, i think there should be less rules.

"the best government is the one that governs least"

but since were throwing them out there.......

i HATE it when i look at the classifieds and see "i have some 223 ammo for sale"

and then when i post "can we get a quantity and price??"... IM the one in violation of the rules!!!! speaking of which, the rules of just replying with "pm sent" IS NOT POSSIBLE due to a minimum character rule?!?!?!

but i digress.....

anyway, can we get a "MUST include quantity and price" rule for the classifieds??

rant off
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    The only ones I still don't like is the "no discussion in classifieds". It seems pointless to me, and actually a hindrance.

Joe posts something used for more than the current new price of something. Perhaps it's a typo, perhaps he was confusing what he paid for it with a different item. Why is it so wrong to give him a heads up, that he might want to rethink his price, to help him actually sell the item? Or, to keep Jeff, who doesn't know the new price of the item from over-paying someone who's just trying to get someone who isn't informed on the price/value of the item.

Barry post a item up with a description that's very lacking. 10 of us are interested in more details of the item. Why do we all need to PM Barry with the same question, when 1 post would cover it, and the other 9 could see the post and not overload Barry with PMs. We could just wait for Barry to update the original post, or respond in another reply with details.

Yes, I know these aren't NEW rules, I just never agreed with them, and figured now was as good a time as any to bring it up.
    good point warrior...one question in the post will save ten im's and the time to answer them..

(Bedford County)

No problem on the new rules from this primate!
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast