Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375 - Surplus City (Or, Topic Change to CMP and Plans for the Roadt

Quote Originally Posted by he11zna View Post
    . . . I believe the CMP has ammo back in stock.
    CMP E-store offerings are not necessarily representative of what is actually at the North and South "walk-in" stores. E-store orders are filled from the Anniston, AL, CMP facility, home of the South Store. Just because an item is listed in the E-Store doesn't mean it is also available at either North or South Stores, if at all.

That said, one of the North Store "regulars" reported on the CMP Forum that Greek XHP M2 Ball was back in stock at the North Store on 27 Feb:

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9640

Noah

(Elk County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    I have a feeling this would make most shop owners extremely nervous!

Great advice though!

Actually, inserting the bullet of a cartridge into the muzzle to gauge muzzle wear is intrinsically safe.

When I ask a shop owner if it's OK to do so, and explain what I want to do and why, they are most often OK with it because they gain some additional info about the rifle that might help a customer in making a decision to buy.

I actually carry a muzzle gauge which is tapered from 0.299 to 0.305 and graduated at those diameters, but you can use a dummy cartridge or a loaded one.

Noah

(Monroe County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375 - Surplus City (Or, Topic Change to CMP and Plans for the Roadt

Beware of Cheapo Bargains from the Mystical Far East

Remember back in the 1980s-90s when those Blue Sky imported Korean surplus M1 Garand rifles were showing up at dealers. Woolworths had them for sale in places like downtown Boston. There were racks filled with M1 Garands and carbines too.

For the most part, those rifles went from fair to trash quality. Most of them had been refinished a few times over by sandblasting. The serial numbers on some were so faint, that the Koreans had crudely hand stamped new ones over the original on the receiver. At the Kittery Trading Post in Maine, I came across a former Korea M1 with a three digit serial number. Was tempted to buy it. Problem was, that rifle had been sandblasted so many times that the finish under the lastest re-park was all pitted with zero collector value. Some of the components were so worn down from multiple refinish, that they no longer fitted correctly and rattled around. EVerything wiggled including the operating rod. Stocks were not only beat to hell but most were of some weird crappy soft wood and were ill fitting.

Recall seeing some that had shims like popsickle sticks between stock wood and the bottom plate of the trigger group. Needless to say . . . I did not purchase any of that last big batch of Korean surplus M1 Garands. For the most part . . .the things were mostly worn out crap. Koreans, like the old west American Indians, tend to treat their equipment and guns quite hard.

With that said, if by chance this latest boat load of rifles turns out be equal with the CMP "rack grade" rifles, then some might be worthy of consideration. Need to figure though that if these Garand rifles are being offered for $375, then that's the top high end of the initial offered sales market perceived value.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Wow, looking at He11zna's post, 30-06 is that expensive? Or is that cheap? I've never bought 30-06. And what does it mean that the ammo "attracts a magnet?" Why is this important?
    It took a 25% increase since the last time they had it in stock.
    Now it's ~55 cents per round shipped.

Not great, but other than reloading, it beats the only other alternative that is Federal American Eagle (for M1 Garand) that is approximately $1 per round.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=214917

Definitely not an inexpensive cartridge.

(Allegheny County)

The only benefit of Garands & 30.06 ammo, over (say) AR's & .223 is that you don't burn through ammo as fast with a Garand...8 rounds, reload....8 rounds, reload.... Or for the ultra conservative approach....1 round, reload.....1 round, reload......
    Toujours prêt

(Northampton County)

Unhappy Re: M1 Garands - $375 - Surplus City (Or, Topic Change to CMP and Plans for the Roadt

Anyone want to trade me a Garand for my Remington 7400 in 30.06?

(only half kidding...I've wanted a Garand since I was a little kid, watching 'World at War' with my dad...)

<sigh> Why does money have to be tight _now_. Yes, recognizing that these may need significant refurbishment, that is something that I could take my time on.

Where is this 'Surplus City', and do they have a web page?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dsnover View Post
    Anyone want to trade me a Garand for my Remington 7400 in 30.06?

(only half kidding...I've wanted a Garand since I was a little kid, watching 'World at War' with my dad...)

<sigh> Why does money have to be tight _now_. Yes, recognizing that these may need significant refurbishment, that is something that I could take my time on.

Where is this 'Surplus City', and do they have a web page?
    Southampton/Feasterville on Bustleton Pike.

I'm still going today after work, I ought to get there between 4:00 and 4:30.

(Erie County)

For all you folks looking for ammunition for your Garands, I've got two full cans of Lake City 67, 30-06, M2 Ball ammunition in the classifieds. There's 432 rounds in each can, and it's all on Garand 8-round clips. I'd really like to see it all go to a nice home.
    Last edited by Kiski Cowboy; March 3rd, 2010 at 04:39 PM.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    For all you folks looking for ammunition for your Garands, I've got two full cans of Lake City 67, 30-06, M2 Ball ammunition in the classifieds. There's 438 rounds in each can, and it's all on Garand 8-round clips. I'd really like to see it all go to a nice home.
    Your add is a bit off. CMP cans are 240 rounds (not 220). That makes the CMP price per round = .50 (with shipping adds .06 per round)

Your ammo is .57 per round. Not too bad a deal for someone in Pittsburgh.

Toujours prêt

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Your add is a bit off. CMP cans are 240 rounds (not 220). That makes the CMP price per round = .50 (with shipping adds .06 per round)

Your ammo is .57 per round. Not too bad a deal for someone in Pittsburgh.

Ooops, my bad. I went in and fixed my post, and adjusted the price a bit on it as well. Thanks for catching my mistake Hawk!
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast