Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: PA man convicted of drone hunting.

The Game Commission filed four citations against Joshua Wingenroth of Downingtown for an incident that occurred Dec. 6 at the Welsh Mountain Nature Preserve in Lancaster County.

Wingenroth was charged with two counts of unlawful devices and methods and one count each of disturbance of game and wildlife and restrictions on recreational spotlighting. The charges combined carry a maximum of $2,500 in fines and up to three months in jail.
    Also, according to citations, Wingenroth is alleged to have disturbed an antlered deer while operating the drone and used an artificial light from the drone to locate deer. The incident took place during the statewide firearms deer season when the use of spotlights are prohibited.
    https://www.lancasterfarming.com/cou...f5d9c7aaa.html

ETA: Found guilty of violating:
    34 Pa CSA § 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any of the following:

(i) A motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.

(ii) A motorized wheelchair if the person has been issued a permit to hunt under section 2923(a.1) (relating to disabled person permits).
    https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report...lVacekXg%3D%3D

and

34 Pa CSA § 2162. Disturbance of game or wildlife.

(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person to drive or disturb game or wildlife except while engaged in the lawful activities set forth in this title.

(b) Nonapplicability.--This section shall not apply to any owner of land, any member of the commission, the director, any representative of the commission or any other law enforcement officer engaged in any otherwise lawful action.

(c) Penalty.--A violation of subsection (a) shall be a summary offense of the first degree.
    https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report...%2B74xew%3D%3D

and

34 Pa CSA § 2311. Restrictions on recreational spotlighting.

(a) Unlawful acts.--It is unlawful for any person to cast or to assist any other person in casting the rays of a spotlight, vehicle headlight or any other artificial light of any kind from any vehicle, watercraft, airborne craft or any attachment to such vehicles or crafts:

(4) To search for or locate for any purpose any game or wildlife anywhere within this Commonwealth at any time during the antlered deer rifle season and during the antlerless deer rifle season.

The provisions of this subsection shall not apply if it is proven that the headlights of a vehicle or conveyance were being used while traveling on a roadway in the usual way.
    (b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(June 28, 1993, P.L.178, No.37, eff. 60 days)
    https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report...FZWErFKQ%3D%3D

and

§ 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(10) Any other device or method of any kind prohibited by this title or regulations promulgated under this title.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1) (i) Any archery sight or firearm's scope which contains and uses any mechanical, photoelectric, ultraviolet or solar-powered device to solely illuminate the sight or crosshairs within the scope.

(ii) (Repealed).

(iii) (A) A flashlight or spotlight may be mounted on a firearm to take furbearers if the sole source of power for the flashlight or spotlight is contained within the flashlight or spotlight or on the person.

(B) For the purposes of this subparagraph, a flashlight or spotlight mounted on a firearm shall not include a device that projects a beam of laser light to indicate the intended point of impact for one or more projectiles discharged from the firearm.
    (2) (i) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to general categories of permits).

(ii) Any licensed hunter in cities of the first class, while hunting on private property and using a bow and arrow or crossbow, using bait to attract deer for removal as provided by commission regulations.

(iii) Any licensed hunter in special regulation areas, other than counties of the second class, using bait to attract deer for removal as provided by commission regulations.
    (3) Any artificial or manufactured turkey blind consisting of all manmade materials of sufficient density to block the detection of movement within the blind from an observer located outside of the blind.

(4) Any natural or manmade nonliving bait used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

(5) Any electronic or mechanical device used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

(6) Any decoy used in the trapping or hunting of furbearers.
    (b.1) Additional exception.--A semiautomatic rifle may be used to hunt game in accordance with regulations promulgated by the commission.

(c) Penalties.--

(1) A violation of subsection (a)(1), (2), (4) or (5) is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(2) A violation of subsection (a)(7) is a summary offense of the third degree.

(3) A violation of any other provision of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree.
    https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report...oEIjuoaQ%3D%3D
    Last edited by tl_3237; February 25th, 2024 at 02:24 PM.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

How do you disturb game if it's dead?
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    How do you disturb game if it's dead?
    The Bunnie cops pulled a Rosco P. Coltrane and put up a stop sign in the middle of nowhere. Then arrested the guy when he drove through it.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    Thought this was going to be about shooting drones!
    Me three, sort of a let down...

(Chester County)

It appears the PGC (King's Gamekeeprs) have put the King in the liability column with "Interference of Business".

When a business owner enters into a formal or informal agreement that will benefit their company, they do not usually expect an outside party to interfere with that relationship. If a third party interferes with a contract or business relationship, it may be tortious interference in a business relationship.
    https://feldman.law/news/what-is-tor...-relationship/
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

When a business owner enters into a formal or informal agreement that will benefit their company, they do not usually expect an outside party to interfere with that relationship. If a third party interferes with a contract or business relationship, it may be tortious interference in a business relationship.
    Something many government agencies are exempt from, apparently.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Here is our hero of this story.

Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Is Welsh mountain considered a state game lands park?

I searched for Pa state parks and under the list for W, Welsh mountain does not show up.

W
    Warriors Path State Park

Washington Crossing Historic Park - FacebookOpens In A New Window

Whipple Dam State Park

White Clay Creek Preserve

Worlds End State Park

I further searched the map of PA state game lands. Welsh mountain is not on the list.

Hunting Information
    Welsh Mountain is open to Mixed-Use Hunting. Respect property boundaries and safety zones. All Pennsylvania Game Commission Rules and Regulations apply. See *Where to Hunt* for more details.

Report Hunting Violations: PA Game Commission Centralized Dispatch Center at 1-833-PGC-HUNT (1-833-742-4868) or 1-833-PGC-WILD (1-833-742-9453)

******STATE GAME LANDS REGULATIONS****** From page 13*****

Operate an unmanned aerial vehicle (drone) of any size, design
    or specification for any purpose whatsoever over lands or waters
    ****designated as state game lands.****

The verbiage maybe picayune, however when you arrest a man for a perceived violation of the law, the law better exist. The way I see it is this, Welsh mountain is not on the list as a state game lands. The violation cited is for state game lands. I see no violation.
    read the second part. Again. it describes all ALLOWED electronic devices, and hey lookey there! A DRONE IS NOT LISTED!!
    ELECTRONIC DEVICES
    It is unlawful to hunt with any electronic contrivance or device,
    but the following exceptions apply:
    The exceptions are for game calls, electric lighted pins on a bow, thermal scopes for predator hunting, etc.etc. STILL !! NO DRONE!!
    Are you being deliberately obtuse?
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Here is our hero of this story.

I chuckled at 1:42 – "educating the perp…..person".

(Berks County)

before I quit fb I saw someone advertising this service and said it was a dangerous game to play in PA, at least on state game lands. The use of thermal for big game and the drone was a dangerous move to play legally. i get the drone would help with recovery but my concern is the damn things being annoying during hunting season and then becoming reliant on them versus making good shots.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast