Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375 - Surplus City (Or, Topic Change to CMP and Plans for the Roadt

Good luck on that one.

I guess I should have asked sooner. Where did you get your information saying the Korean imported garands were available at Surplus City??
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Berks County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375 - Surplus City (Or, Topic Change to CMP and Plans for the Roadt

Quote Originally Posted by clarion44 View Post
    Good luck on that one.

I guess I should have asked sooner. Where did you get your information saying the Korean imported garands were available at Surplus City??
    Birth certificate is ordered from MD. Apparently, you get them under your adopted name. I ought to have it in about two weeks.

A friend was at Surplus City yesterday. He said they had about 15 on the rack. They're not in awful shape, he described them as shooters, and said the wood was ratty, the bluing was worn, and none of the numbers matched. I figured, buy a new stock set and get it reblued. In retrospect, a stock set costs about $150, and bluing, I have no idea, then there's whatever else it needs, as per Noah's post.

For that kind of pricing, factoring in the drive time, gas cost, GCA joining fee, etc, the CMP route is the best way to go. Plus, I get to pick out my own!

(Bucks County)

Noah and others did a excellent job. If you go to the store they will let you use a muzzle gauge.

(Allegheny County)

Now all you guys need is surplus 30.06 ammo at a decent price.

The North Store should be getting the beginning of a 5 year supply this month. AFAIK, they haven't set a price yet. I'd set about $160-200 aside for 2 spam cans of ammo if you go.

I was at Camp Perry in January. They had a ton of Field Grade Garands. Not that many Service Grade.

Link:
    http://www.thecmp.org/northstore.htm

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

Hawk, did they have special grades?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Hawk, did they have special grades?
    I'm fairly sure at that time they had about 10. You can always call.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Now all you guys need is surplus 30.06 ammo at a decent price.

The North Store should be getting the beginning of a 5 year supply this month. AFAIK, they haven't set a price yet. I'd set about $160-200 aside for 2 spam cans of ammo if you go.

I was at Camp Perry in January. They had a ton of Field Grade Garands. Not that many Service Grade.

Link:
    http://www.thecmp.org/northstore.htm

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
    I believe the CMP has ammo back in stock.
    http://thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

(Elk County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375

For those who elect to make the drive to the North Store, the CMP staff there has a notary and performs the notarization on your paperwork. You do NOT need it to be pre-notarized before you go.

A US passport can be used in lieu of a state-issued birth cert to establish US citizenship.

Personally, IMO the CMP is the way to go, especially for PA residents who can invest a good LONG day or an overnite trip to the North Store at Camp Perry. You pick your own rifle(s), the staff is exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful with any questions or concerns that you may have, and the Store usually has a few local old fart "regular" customers in there who are quick to assist noobs.

Best of all, you pass the NICS check there and take the rifle(s) home. If you order from the CMP by mail, you get to wait months. Several months.

And best, best of all, you get to buy 30-06 ammo when it's back in stock in a month or three, at non-inflated CMP prices. After all, what good's a "shooter" Garand without feed?

PS: Thanks for all the positive comments regarding my infopost and the associated rep!

Noah

(Berks County)

Wow, looking at He11zna's post, 30-06 is that expensive? Or is that cheap? I've never bought 30-06. And what does it mean that the ammo "attracts a magnet?" Why is this important?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    If considering one of these <$400 ex-Korean, ex-USGI Garands, do yourself a favor and take along a loaded 30-06 cartridge and insert the bullet end of the cartridge into the muzzle of the rifle(s).

I have a feeling this would make most shop owners extremely nervous!

Great advice though!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast