Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Who makes the best AR15 ?

Quote Originally Posted by westbound View Post
    Piston AR's are fast taking over, as they are generally more reliable and run MUCH cleaner, with almost no fouling in the receiver/bolt carrier area.
    No they are not, in fact, if there was any trend, it would be 11.5" SBR direct impingement guns. The other issue is cleaner doesnt mean better... In fact, the only gun I have seen completely stop running was a piston gun...

LWRCI makes superb rifles which meet or exceed mil-spec in all areas.
    Just looking at their bolts tells me they do not meet it, let alone exceed it. Perhaps reading the links above will help you understand it.

Here is the link I am viewing for the bolt:
    http://www.lwrci.com/p-195-556-advan...mbat-bolt.aspx

They supply weapons to many SWAT teams around the country and even some special forces personnel.
    So does a lot of other manufacturers who build sup par guns that need serviced out of the box before any serious use.

The new HK416 is also piston driven and again, has been provided to some Delta Force operatives for testing as well.
    Providing one for testing doesnt mean anything. The 416 is a good system, but have you heard anyone rave about it? Why take a nice smooth shooting gun and make it recoil more?

Bushmaster, DPMS, Para, and Larue also make excellent AR-clones.
    Not all of them do, but your purpose should define how reliable it needs to be.

The competition has increased enormously in the past 5 years and these companies are using first rate materials and manufacturing techniques and in many cases are BETTER than the Colt.
    The only real improvement over Colt (who happens to be pretty damned good at this) is the use of a cold hammer forged barrel. BCM, Noveske, and Daniel Defense are the only ones I know that have their name on them. Not Bushmaster, DPMS, Para, or Larue.

Stag Arms also makes basic but very nice Direct impingement weapons at a very reasonable price.
    Define very nice? Very nice is subjective. To me, very nice does not mean you have to upgrade the bolt, extractor, carrier, cut M4 feedramps, and put in the right buffer. All of this doesnt even account for the inability for it to fire arguably the best defensive round out there, the 75gr TAP.

With all the information available online you should be able to thoroughly research this for yourself and will likely find similar results.
    You should take your own advice and seek the advice of others.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Bucks County)

I'm not really sure what "taking over" means.

If you want a recommendation for a good DI AR-15, I would highly recommend the Knight's Armament SR-15 E3. It's a wonderfully balanced rifle that comes stock with alot of different features. Price is about $1750 - $2000 depending on retailer. It is generally regarded as one of the better DI AR15's, if not the best.

Piston AR's have significant advantages particularly when running them suppressed. The gas system is especially useful for this purpose. It is true that there will be less heat and fouling in the receiver which leads to an extended life compared to DI counterparts.

The HK416 is a very good example of this new generation of piston driven AR's. However, the 416 is more than just an AR with a piston on it. It has a few upgrades.

The one gentleman here who asked if you were buying a "cheap look alike" obviously doesnt know whats out there. Piston AR's are fast taking over, as they are generally more reliable and run MUCH cleaner, with almost no fouling in the receiver/bolt carrier area. LWRCI makes superb rifles which meet or exceed mil-spec in all areas. They supply weapons to many SWAT teams around the country and even some special forces personnel. The new HK416 is also piston driven and again, has been provided to some Delta Force operatives for testing as well. Bushmaster, DPMS, Para, and Larue also make excellent AR-clones. The competition has increased enormously in the past 5 years and these companies are using first rate materials and manufacturing techniques and in many cases are BETTER than the Colt. Stag Arms also makes basic but very nice Direct impingement weapons at a very reasonable price. With all the information available online you should be able to thoroughly research this for yourself and will likely find similar results.
    As an owner of both piston and D.I. AR-15's, I agree with most of what you are saying. Colt is over hyped, and piston weapons offer a better alternative to having to clean carbon encrusted crap from your gun after every trip to the range.

For 99.99% of civilian AR-15 owners and shooters, the piston weapons have a lot to offer with no downside, other than the fact most of the mall ninjas hate them because the "trainers" they worship on a day to day basis, hate them. And these people simply cannot be argued with because they are the only ones licensed to form such opinions.

Be that as it may, my 2 piston AR-15's, (LWRC's), have run like tops for over a full year now. It is so nice to come home after a long range session and have to do only a 5 minute clean and oil as opposed to the long involved ritual of scraping carbon from the bolt and receivers of my D.I. weapons. As a result my LWRC guns get shot a lot more. It's much less of a hassle. After over 40 years of gun ownership and shooting, I've come to appreciate things like that. I still shoot my D.I. weapons, but admittingly I see absolutely no advantage to them from an operational standpoint. And after they've seen enough rounds it's easier to clean my gas barbecue. Bill T.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    As an owner of both piston and D.I. AR-15's, I agree with most of what you are saying. Colt is over hyped, and piston weapons offer a better alternative to having to clean carbon encrusted crap from your gun after every trip to the range.

For 99.99% of civilian AR-15 owners and shooters, the piston weapons have a lot to offer with no downside, other than the fact most of the mall ninjas hate them because the "trainers" they worship on a day to day basis, hate them. And these people simply cannot be argued with because they are the only ones licensed to form such opinions.

Be that as it may, my 2 piston AR-15's, (LWRC's), have run like tops for over a full year now. It is so nice to come home after a long range session and have to do only a 5 minute clean and oil as opposed to the long involved ritual of scraping carbon from the bolt and receivers of my D.I. weapons. As a result my LWRC guns get shot a lot more. It's much less of a hassle. After over 40 years of gun ownership and shooting, I've come to appreciate things like that. I still shoot my D.I. weapons, but admittingly I see absolutely no advantage to them from an operational standpoint. And after they've seen enough rounds it's easier to clean my gas barbecue. Bill T.
    A better alternative would be a gun that was designed from the ground up as a piston gun. You would retain the benefit of a folding stock and ambi controls that are much better than an AR with converted parts. The SCAR or ACR comes to mind. When you convert things to be something other than designed, the only person winning is the guy selling the parts...

The other issue is you dont need to scrape the bolt tail.

And the final concern with a piston system is recoil, DI has a distinct advantage in this respect, not to mention less weight up front.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    And the final concern with a piston system is recoil, DI has a distinct advantage in this respect, not to mention less weight up front.
    You have to be kidding. How you can discuss the word "recoil", let alone attempt to make an issue over it when talking about any AR-15 weapon that shoots 50 grain .22 bullets is beyond me. Which "trainer" did you pick that up from? Bill T.

(Allegheny County)

You have to be kidding. How you can discuss the word "recoil", let alone attempt to make an issue over it when talking about any AR-15 weapon that shoots 50 grain .22 bullets is beyond me. Which "trainer" did you pick that up from? Bill T.
    If I am shooting a tiny 50 grain .22 bullet, I want every advantage out of it I can get. That starts by not adding weight to the end of the gun and reducing impact inside, IE, sticking with how it works now.

FYI, no trainer has told me what opinion to have, and for that matter, I have not been around many trainers to begin with. My opinion has been formed from shooting them and actually learning how they work. Never hurts to be in my profession either.

If I am shooting a tiny 50 grain .22 bullet, I want every advantage out of it I can get. That starts by not adding weight to the end of the gun and reducing impact inside.
    What "weight"? You are trying to prove a ridiculous point that is totally meaningless in the real world. Not to mention it makes no sense what so ever. Bill T.

(Allegheny County)

What "weight"? You are trying to prove a ridiculous point that is totally meaningless in the real world. Not to mention it makes no sense what so ever. Bill T.
    Gas block, op rod, springs... you know, everything that replaces what can be a tiny gas block and hollow steel tube. Not to mention balance matters as well.

ETA: If you are just shooting dirt from the bench I suppose it doesn't matter how much shit you toss on the end of it...
    Last edited by orionz06; August 17th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Gas block, op rod, springs... you know, everything that replaces what can be a tiny gas block and hollow steel tube. Not to mention balance matters as well.
    What the hell would you do if you had to shoot a M-1? How would hits be possible with all of that tonnage? Bill T.

(Allegheny County)

What the hell would you do if you had to shoot a M-1? How would hits be possible with all of that tonnage? Bill T.
    I dont seem to recall stating that you couldnt get hits with a heavy gun... I will assume this is the point in which you begin to spout senseless bullshit...

good night

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast