Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (York County)

Default Re: semi-auto cleaning tips? i go through SO MANY patches!

You're all really making me rethink cleaning my handgun after every trip to the range.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    You're all really making me rethink cleaning my handgun after every trip to the range.
    Remember that no one is telling you to have a "dirty" gun. We just have conflicting thoughts on what is really dirty. Does the gun need to be spotless to function? No, hell, you should see how a gun looks that hasn't been lubed or touched for 2000 rounds, it is caked. Just by lubing the gun you are in a sense cleaning it. I will post some pics of an often lubed 9mm with about 800 rounds through it later tonight. You will be surprised.

Most importantly, do you want to rely on something that needs cleaned as often as you do it? Plus those chemicals are nasty, I dont want to use them too often, except Hoppe's.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Remember that no one is telling you to have a "dirty" gun. We just have conflicting thoughts on what is really dirty. Does the gun need to be spotless to function? No, hell, you should see how a gun looks that hasn't been lubed or touched for 2000 rounds, it is caked. Just by lubing the gun you are in a sense cleaning it. I will post some pics of an often lubed 9mm with about 800 rounds through it later tonight. You will be surprised.

Most importantly, do you want to rely on something that needs cleaned as often as you do it? Plus those chemicals are nasty, I dont want to use them too often, except Hoppe's.
    Orionz06,

I never spent any time in looking for a cleaning product that could be less harmful, though I try to always clean in a well ventilated area keeping in mind that I may be breathing something harmful.

Yeah, I don't think that anyone is suggesting to have a dirty gun. You're saying that there's a happy medium between what I do in wanting to clean them after every trip to the range, and those who seldom if ever clean.

There are a lot of good points made in this post by a lot of members. Thanks.

Geo

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I never spent any time in looking for a cleaning product that could be less harmful, though I try to always clean in a well ventilated area keeping in mind that I may be breathing something harmful.

Some of the stuff is nasty, but so is the stuff we need to clean. And I dont think anyone has ever considered a safer product (Slip maybe?), but it is a valid concern.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Some of the stuff is nasty, but so is the stuff we need to clean.
    That's why I wear latex or vinyl exam gloves when I clean my guns. The residue isn't particularly healthy nor are the cleansers. When I'm done cleaning, I ball the patches up in my fist, take that glove off, then ball that in my other fist, and take the other glove off. Then I knot it shut and toss it in the trash.

(Lehigh County)

I generally just use some sort of solvent depending on what I'm shooting. That may be some break free... powder blast... might just be some brake cleaner from the autoparts section of wal mart. I tend to just us a bore snake after letting the solvent do its job for a few minutes. I don't think I've ever used a standard brush on a pistol. My rifles are a different story (but I'll admit my precision AR seems to do just fine with some brake parts cleaner and a bore snake between more detailed cleanings).

(Lancaster County)

I've been using Hoppe's M-Pro7. Works like a charm and cleans up corrosive ammo residue. I typically clean after every range trip, unless I know I'm going back in a day or two.

I don't get to shoot as often as I used to, so a typical day at the range might see 3-400 rounds through any particular gun.

A post-range cleaning typically consists of breaking down the gun, wiping it down with M-Pro7, then following that with lube in appropriate places. I spray some cleaner down the barrel and let it soak as I wipe down the other parts. I then give the barrel two swabs with soaked patches, another with a dry one. At this point it's clean enough. If it's a carry gun I'll stop there. If not I'll run an oil soaked patch through the bore to prevent corrosion.

Every 4-6 months I'll take a day and get out all of my guns for a thorough cleaning. Total breakdown, bore brushes, copper solvent etc.

I don't think you'll ever truly get all the carbon out of a barrel. If there's something on the patch, there's something to spread around. Plus, most gun cleaners will change colors once they've contacted lead or copper fouling that may be present. This can appear like dirt, even though it really isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    I've been using Hoppe's M-Pro7. Works like a charm and cleans up corrosive ammo residue. I typically clean after every range trip, unless I know I'm going back in a day or two.

I don't get to shoot as often as I used to, so a typical day at the range might see 3-400 rounds through any particular gun.

A post-range cleaning typically consists of breaking down the gun, wiping it down with M-Pro7, then following that with lube in appropriate places. I spray some cleaner down the barrel and let it soak as I wipe down the other parts. I then give the barrel two swabs with soaked patches, another with a dry one. At this point it's clean enough. If it's a carry gun I'll stop there. If not I'll run an oil soaked patch through the bore to prevent corrosion.

Every 4-6 months I'll take a day and get out all of my guns for a thorough cleaning. Total breakdown, bore brushes, copper solvent etc.

I don't think you'll ever truly get all the carbon out of a barrel. If there's something on the patch, there's something to spread around. Plus, most gun cleaners will change colors once they've contacted lead or copper fouling that may be present. This can appear like dirt, even though it really isn't.
    I've never used Hoppe's M-Pro 7, so I don't know what's in it. I've always been told that if you shoot ammo with corrosive primers, like the East bloc stuff in the spam cans, you need to flush the barrel, piston, etc, with water. AK shooters swear that's the only way. The corrosive primers contain salt & almost none of the normal cleaners will touch it.

As far as carbon goes, I think that's removed fairly easily. The copper that gets imbedded in the pores of the barrel, on the other hand, can only be completely removed with some of the really nastier stuff, like Sweets.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

Don't know if it's been mentioned but I like Break Free which foams up and I let it soak, sometimes overnight. Nasty smell though, so I put it in a zip lock bag. Run the bore snake through and a couple of patches and done.

Ya clean 'em after every outing and they want to be pampered all the time!

Ham radio: when all else fails.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123