Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Prices are coming down....

That is actually how I found that batch of ammo, I was looking for 7.62x39 and since they had the other calibers in stock I needed I made the purchase. Gunbot is one of the greatest online resources devoted to firearms IMO.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I had a fairly healthy stock of .22 and recently introduced two new folks to shooting ( bad timing on their part, I know). That ran through a bit of my reserves and I went searching for some quality .22 last week. Two of my local gun shops have good quantities, and the guy right down the street has CCI Standard Velocity for $34.95 per 500, which is pretty reasonable since it's quality ammo. 9mm is still a little ugly in my area. It can be had but it ain't cheap.
    I saw the same CCI packs yesterday for $55. So it pays to shop around or be patient. I know gas is pricey but I just look at it as a day out, browse the gun shops, have lunch and only purchase if I find the price is reasonable.

What I do is have a list of stuff I want, I research online ahead of time and calculate what my price point is and only buy if it's at a price that is acceptable. I bought Glock mags yesterday for the same price I find them online for right now and that was fine by me as I needed to separate out some for CC use and some I can drop in the dirt for competition and practice.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    If I look locally I might be able to find some 223, 7.62x39 and overpriced 9mm. Nothing else really. I just ordered ammo online and I got reamed with the 9mm. I paid $24/50 rounds of Wolf 9mm. If I bought locally I would have paid slightly more and at the time that was the cheapest 9mm online. I could have waited and bought elsewhere online for cheaper but I would have paid at least $15 for shipping and lost on the savings. No way I am paying $15 just to ship 100 rounds of 9mm. I ordered 100 rounds of 223 and another 100 rounds 7.62x39 so I could stomach that shipping fee plus the outrageous price on the 9mm. The cheapest 22LR I have seen was 500 rounds for $50 online.

I now have 200 rounds of plinking ammo for all my firearms, I am going to try and spread the ammo out over the rest of this year plus use my blowback air pistol to maintain my pistol shooting skills. This has become a rich mans only sport and I can't afford to keep up.
    $24 for 50 rounds of Wolf, yikes. AIM Surplus has some just about everyday for $11 a box. I just bought 500 rounds of Wolf 9mm for $125 last week from Sportsman's Guide and then picked up another 500 rounds of Speer Lawman for $111.

There are a number of sellers that have Wolf 9mm, 1000 rounds, shipped, for around $300-$320 right now. I also saw Brown Bear last night for around $120-$150 per 500.

Best luck I have had is with AIM, Sportsmans Guide and Cabela's.

Prices are down, so I wouldn't be in a big rush to get ammo, as it is coming back in.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    $24 for 50 rounds of Wolf, yikes. AIM Surplus has some just about everyday for $11 a box. I just bought 500 rounds of Wolf 9mm for $125 last week from Sportsman's Guide and then picked up another 500 rounds of Speer Lawman for $111.

There are a number of sellers that have Wolf 9mm, 1000 rounds, shipped, for around $300-$320 right now. I also saw Brown Bear last night for around $120-$150 per 500.

Best luck I have had is with AIM, Sportsmans Guide and Cabela's.

Prices are down, so I wouldn't be in a big rush to get ammo, as it is coming back in.
    I know but I only wanted to get two boxes and it didn't make sense to pay an additional $15 shipping to get some from another website. Maybe I will just buy one caliber at a time in the 250-500 round count so I can get a better deal. I tolerated this price because I might be going to someone's property soon for target shooting and he has a PTR-91 he is going to let me fire, I have to bring my toys and have some ammo to let him play with too.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; June 29th, 2013 at 02:43 PM.

(Wayne County)

If I look locally I might be able to find some 223, 7.62x39 and overpriced 9mm. Nothing else really. I just ordered ammo online and I got reamed with the 9mm. I paid $24/50 rounds of Wolf 9mm. If I bought locally I would have paid slightly more and at the time that was the cheapest 9mm online. I could have waited and bought elsewhere online for cheaper but I would have paid at least $15 for shipping and lost on the savings. No way I am paying $15 just to ship 100 rounds of 9mm. I ordered 100 rounds of 223 and another 100 rounds 7.62x39 so I could stomach that shipping fee plus the outrageous price on the 9mm. The cheapest 22LR I have seen was 500 rounds for $50 online.

I now have 200 rounds of plinking ammo for all my firearms, I am going to try and spread the ammo out over the rest of this year plus use my blowback air pistol to maintain my pistol shooting skills. This has become a rich mans only sport and I can't afford to keep up.
    I picked up 9mm at honesdale wally world a cuople weeks ago for 16$ and change +tax. 3 box limit. Wasn't really looking to buy but figured I'd ask and there it was.

(Berks County)

Are people really getting 9mm and 7.62x39 for .25/round online? I see those Gunbot prices, but shipping usually pushes it way above that. Shipping for a case of 7.62x39 runs $30-40, making that .25 now over .30. That's like a 15-20% shipping premium. Maybe I'm just missing all the good deals.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBone View Post
    I picked up 9mm at honesdale wally world a cuople weeks ago for 16$ and change +tax. 3 box limit. Wasn't really looking to buy but figured I'd ask and there it was.
    I went to that one a few times in the afternoon and they were always sold out, what time a day did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Are people really getting 9mm and 7.62x39 for .25/round online? I see those Gunbot prices, but shipping usually pushes it way above that. Shipping for a case of 7.62x39 runs $30-40, making that .25 now over .30. That's like a 15-20% shipping premium. Maybe I'm just missing all the good deals.
    Shipping is something one always gets boned on when buying ammo online, that's why it only makes sense when buying in bulk. When I bought 100 rounds of 223, x39 and 9mm it cost me $16 in shipping from Ohio.

(Pike County)

I had a chat about ammo with the manager this evening - he mentioned that they have a LINE waiting for them to open every Monday morning without fail. No chance to get 9mm or .22's during the week unless you get very lucky.

ETA I was at the Matamoras store

I've been to Wal-Mart's in Matamoras, Stroudsburg and Honesdale several times since December yet I haven't seen anything but birdshot and a few scant boxes of hunting calibers. I bought 9mm from a local firearm dealer for $18/50 rounds back in February and since then the same business wants $27/50 rounds.
    Last edited by RobW; June 29th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I went back and looked at all my invoices in recent times. In general I've paid about $16 for shipping 500 rounds of 9mm.

Compare that to paying $30 a box like I saw yesterday in a LGS and spending money on gas driving all over or your time hanging out at Wal Mart chatting up the old lady behind the counter. Most LGS's if they do have ammo have box limits which cuts down the cost effectiveness of any out of the way trips you make.

It's probably not as big a deal if you live in a more populated area but for me in a rural area with limited options, much of what I buy I order online because I can get what I want, when I want and don't have to mount an expedition to get everything on my shopping list.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I went back and looked at all my invoices in recent times. In general I've paid about $16 for shipping 500 rounds of 9mm.

Compare that to paying $30 a box like I saw yesterday in a LGS and spending money on gas driving all over or your time hanging out at Wal Mart chatting up the old lady behind the counter. Most LGS's if they do have ammo have box limits which cuts down the cost effectiveness of any out of the way trips you make.

It's probably not as big a deal if you live in a more populated area but for me in a rural area with limited options, much of what I buy I order online because I can get what I want, when I want and don't have to mount an expedition to get everything on my shopping list.
    I certainly understand that if you live in a less populated area. It would definitely not be worth it to make even a 15 minute one way trip to get 3 boxes, or maybe nothing.

I must keep missing the deals then. I was looking for 7.62x39 and several sites show it under .30. Then I put a case in my cart and get a $25-$30 shipping quote. So the $270 is now $300. At least with that caliber I'm finding Tula regularly at Walmart for 5.17/box. Every once in a while they'll have a couple boxes of 9mm under $15 or .45 under $20. In this case, fortunately I drive within a mile of two of them almost every day.

And fortunately I'm not desperate, so don't have to pay the outrageous LGS prices.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast