Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Full Auto Pricing

Talk about a Green Monster. It's pretty creepy to be bitter because people have what you don't, it's another thing to assume that everybody who has what you don't is willing to shoot themselves in the foot just to make sure you get screwed over.

Look at it this way. Let's say you have no MGs. Let's say you have, oh, I don't know, 20 firearms. Combined value is $7K. Tomorrow morning you wake up and the price of all firearms has dropped 95% across the board. AND, now imports are allowed again. Do you have a list of firearms you plan to buy or would at least like to buy some day? Well, guess what. Today is your lucky fucking day. Grab your wallet and hit the gun shop. You can now afford to scoop up almost every single thing you want in one single day. And, Norinco AKs are back, but at $25 a piece!!! Real HK rifles and carbines from Germany for $50 a piece!!!

You stay home and cry over the fact that you now have to sell all the guns at a loss. Guns that you never wanted in the first place. You only bought them because you thought they were expensive. Heck, might as well just take them out to the garage and torch them up. Me? I'm going shopping.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Your premise also assumes that everybody is a complete shitbag. Not only do you assume they will overlook their own interests, but you assume they are so selfish that none of them want to support the Second Amendment. Let me tell you something. If it were 100% guarantied that it would end firearms laws in the US forever, I would be willing to shoot myself in the head this very moment. Anonymously, no glory, nothing in return.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Gun guys, and MG guys in particular, buy MG's because they want them, not to preserve their value. If the ban continues, they may sell that minty Thompson and put the money into a minty MP-40.
    Yes sir, I have 3 MGs and I bought them to shoot and enjoy. Plus I take care of them so they will last a long time

But if the ban were repealed, and new MG's could be had for the price of a parts kit, new receiver, and $200, then they'd get to KEEP that minty Thompson and get an MP-40, too. And a Sten and a MAC and an M-16.
    I wish that the ban would be repealed so I could go out and buy more MGs reasonable. Someone did mention Kahr making new Thompsons for a grand, but when you consider the price of a SBR at almost two grand the MG version would probably be sold for at least two grand. But yeah they will be a lot cheaper.

As a side note, they aren't making any more pre-WW II Thompsons, and even if the ban is lifted they won't make any more pre-WW II Thompsons, so collector grade guns will hold their value. Lifting the ban would mean that shooter guns would be made, not that 70 year old guns would drop in value substantially.
    Yes, if they lifted the ban, original C&R type MGs would still hold most of their value. Tube, LL, DIAS, and sideplate type MGs would take the big hit.

But even with respect to those Colt M-16's which will feel some downward pressure from the flood of new aftermarket guns....you guys don't get it, you can't project what you think that you would do on these hypothetical rich guys who you don't know.)
    You have no idea who i know, or, for that matter, what I can or cannot personally afford. I certainly have enough in my account as I type to buy one one of the M-16's we've been talking about in this thread quite easily.

My father is in his own right quite wealthy and has owned many very pricey toys be they guns, boats, cars, motorcycles, or even houses.

If there was a legitimate chance he'd lose 90% of his investment on any of them, he would never buy them to begin with. And neither would I.

I think your belief that "gun guys" will happily lose $10s of thousands of dollars just so the unwashed masses can more easily own machine guns is rather naive. Some would, some would not.
    Last edited by Valorius; December 14th, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    You have no idea who i know, or, for that matter, what I can or cannot personally afford. I certainly have enough in my account as I type to buy one one of the M-16's we've been talking about in this thread quite easily.

My father is in his own right quite wealthy and has owned many very pricey toys be they guns, boats, cars, motorcycles, or even houses.

If there was a legitimate chance he'd lose 90% of his investment on any of them, he would never buy them to begin with. And neither would I.

I think your belief that "gun guys" will happily lose $10s of thousands of dollars just so the unwashed masses can more easily own machine guns is rather naive. Some would, some would not.
    First, I hope you appreciate the irony of your own post, responding to my point that it's unwise to assume that you know the motivations of a group of "rich guys with MG's" without knowing any of those guys. Odd that you take offense to my generic assumption that you and others are leaping to unfounded assumptions, because I inexcusably have no knowledge of or interest in your Richie Rich upbringing, yet I had the audacity of referring to you and others as being wrong about those greedy MG owners preferring that their hobby be too expensive to fully indulge. There's some sort of meta-irony going on there.

Second, you mischaracterize my point. I didn't say that owners of guns that they paid too much for would welcome repeal so that OTHERS could now afford toys, did I? Nor did I use the term "unwashed", although that's beside the point. What I said was...well, go back and read what I said, I got it right the first time.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

What if one buys a gun with an intention of NEVER selling it... what value does it hold and does the value really matter?
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Allegheny County)

I would like just as anyone else in this thread for a repeal of the MG ban, if you don't want to see that happen then you are not a gun guy. With current prices it makes it impossible for most gun owners to own one.

If I had a 15K dollar M16 and the ban was lifted I would be more than glad to take the loss because now I will be able to buy 15 1K M16's, win win.

Reminds me of the 94 AWB when AR prices soared compared to today. I had many so called preban AR's and receivers that I paid a premium for. Along with hicap mags that I also paided a premium for some. When the ban expired I took my lumps but it's nice to see 1k premium AR's, 100.00 receivers and 20.00 mags. It was nice to see 2500.00 Colt govt carbine prices get cut in half over night. I had a NIB one that I sold a couple weeks before the ban for 2500, I took a chance selling and the buyer took a chance buying, in the end we both won.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I would like just as anyone else in this thread for a repeal of the MG ban, if you don't want to see that happen then you are not a gun guy. With current prices it makes it impossible for most gun owners to own one.

If I had a 15K dollar M16 and the ban was lifted I would be more than glad to take the loss because now I will be able to buy 15 1K M16's, win win.

Reminds me of the 94 AWB when AR prices soared compared to today. I had many so called preban AR's and receivers that I paid a premium for. Along with hicap mags that I also paided a premium for some. When the ban expired I took my lumps but it's nice to see 1k premium AR's, 100.00 receivers and 20.00 mags. It was nice to see 2500.00 Colt govt carbine prices get cut in half over night. I had a NIB one that I sold a couple weeks before the ban for 2500, I took a chance selling and the buyer took a chance buying, in the end we both won.
    Excellent point. I had a couple of crates of AR mags that became $30 mags between 1994 to 2004, now they're back to $10 mags, and I couldn't be happier. Am I a saint? Maybe, but probably not. Sure, in theory I lost a couple thousand dollars in value just on the mags, but in practice I can now buy even more mags, and I wasn't in the business of selling them anyway.

(Northampton County)

I'm no longer surprised at this point. We have several people in this thread that own MGs and want the ban lifted. And only one example of somebody that owns them and doesn't want it lifted - Valorious' dad.

(FYI - Valorious, I can't see your posts. Since you first signed up here. Just saw you quoted by GunLawyer and thought it was...interesting).

I do wonder where this outlook on life comes from, since we only hear it from the haters. I can only speculate that is the way they look at things in their lives, how they deal with people, view the 2A, and their short vs. long term interests.
    Last edited by ungawa; December 14th, 2011 at 10:51 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Excellent point. I had a couple of crates of AR mags that became $30 mags between 1994 to 2004, now they're back to $10 mags, and I couldn't be happier. Am I a saint? Maybe, but probably not. Sure, in theory I lost a couple thousand dollars in value just on the mags, but in practice I can now buy even more mags, and I wasn't in the business of selling them anyway.
    Yep I'm with ya on this. I lost some money as well but the day the ban expired I bought a NIB Colt 6920 for under a 1k and it made me forget all about the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    . . . .
    I do wonder where this outlook on life comes from, since we only hear it from the haters. I can only speculate that is the way they look at things in their lives, how they deal with people, view the 2A, and their short vs. long term interests.
    I think it's related to the Progressives and their tendency to project their sins onto others. My belief is that most Progressives spend their days lying and scamming and cheating and manipulating their way to fame and fortune, but they don't succeed and remain poor. They assume that this is the path to success (despite their own abject failure at it), so they assume that every wealthy person is just really good at that lying and scamming and cheating and manipulating. Just never occurs to them that you can get rich by finding something people want and supplying it at a profit.

And I believe that you're correct that the people who most energetically impute evil motives to people they don't know, are people for whom those evil motives are a reality. Vile scumbags who always think "me-me-me" will just have to assume that everybody else is just as bad, otherwise they will find themselves living in a world where they are just not good people at all. If you're a dirtbag, it's comforting to assume that everybody else is just as bad, possibly worse.

My understanding is that people in Third World countries can't fathom why Americans would adopt their unwanted orphans and retards and cripples. (Sometimes I'm at a loss myself.) They can't reconcile their dim view of humanity with Americans being altruistic and kind, so instead they spread rumors that Americans adopt these castoffs as a steady supply of organs for transplants. I kid you not. Without a shred of proof, they pick this belief based solely on it being consistent with their prejudices against Americans and their refusal to believe that we would do something nice that they wouldn't ever consider doing themselves.

This view that MG owners would oppose a repeal of the 1986 ban has exactly as much evidence to support it as the Muslim rumors about Jews sacrificing Gentiles in bizarre blood rituals. You'd have better luck finding someone who woke up in a motel tub full of ice with stitches where his kidney was removed, than finding a gun enthusiast who opposes repeal of the MG ban.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast