Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Long Range Scope

Quote Originally Posted by PBArcher8 View Post
    Most rifles don't have the slower twist needed for the heavier rounds, so that would be a good starting point if you're looking to move up in grains...

Isn't a 1 in 12" twist slower than a 1 in 7"? I may be wrong too considering my experience. I was thinking with the information you gave, that the heavier bullet needed a quicker spin. Sorry if I made things confusing, thanks for your help Chaz.
    Slow/Fast, up/down, left/right It's all the same and all diffrent. One turn of rifleing in twelve inches in a .224 dia bullet is usually good for 50 to 55 grains. A one turn in seven inches is uaually good for 60 to 75 grains. I know someone will say "My gun will shoot anything good" but why are there diffrent twist rates made anyway?

(Lawrence County)

Nope, had a brain fart for a moment there... yes, the smaller inches the twist, the faster the bullet spins... I should either stop posting after I get off work, or start drinking more coffee at night... lol good catch!

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

i am 54yrs. old and would pay money to see you shoot a ground hog at 2000meters,being an ex military sniper,damn neer imposible,not out of the question,but stop dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    i am 54yrs. old and would pay money to see you shoot a ground hog at 2000meters,being an ex military sniper,damn neer imposible,not out of the question,but stop dreaming.
    Agreed.... I've fired a 6mm Remington XB-40 with a 24 power Unertl scope at 1000 meters and that's tough....2000 meters? Yup, I'd pay to watch.

(Lawrence County)

I can't personally imagine 2,000 yards with anything I own... lol .50 BMG, possibly, but even hitting 500 yards for most people takes years of practice...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    Agreed.... I've fired a 6mm Remington XB-40 with a 24 power Unertl scope at 1000 meters and that's tough....2000 meters? Yup, I'd pay to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    I can't personally imagine 2,000 yards with anything I own... lol .50 BMG, possibly, but even hitting 500 yards for most people takes years of practice...

-Chaz
    I'm not dreaming, you just need the right equipment AND proper training. When these guys practice they shoot golf balls and chicken eggs at 1000 yards. When my nephew was 8 years old my dad had him consistently hitting a bowling ball at 1000 yards.
    He doesn't take money to show people how to do it so I'm sure he wouldn't take money to let you watch him (them). Actually it takes more than one person, you need a good spotter too, and they have to know how to effectively communicate. I didn't say that it's easy and I didn't say that every shot is a hit. I did say that they do it. And it's not just one person who I'm saying can do it, there is a group of them who get together for this type of extreme shooting, and they love it.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Clinton County)

The scope you are now using should be fine for your purpose. Most factory rifles chambered in .223 have either a 1:14 or 1:12 twist rate. The 1:12 twist rate will handle bullet weights up to 64 Gr. I would suggest thinking about accuracy out to 400 yds. with a factory barrel and trying bullets such as the 60 gr Nosler Partition, 60 Gr. VMAX or the 60 gr Berger match. Try powders with the burn rates of AA2529, N540 and Varget. You should be capable of safely handloading to speeds of 3000 to 3200 FPS. If the barrel is good this should give you a fine 400 yd. whistle pig shooter.

(Monroe County)

have you considered just moving closer?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    have you considered just moving closer?
    Getting closer takes away the fun and challenge and that's what it's all abut, that's why some people do the long range thing. It isn't for everyone but someone asking about details as to what scope to use and other particulars probably has an interest in taking on the challenge. Others will try to stalk and get closer to get rid of the nuisance as quickly as possible. Those who look for the long range challenge are going beyond what's easy. The targets within a few hundred yards are probably pretty well picked over anyhow.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I'm not dreaming, you just need the right equipment AND proper training. When these guys practice they shoot golf balls and chicken eggs at 1000 yards. When my nephew was 8 years old my dad had him consistently hitting a bowling ball at 1000 yards.
    He doesn't take money to show people how to do it so I'm sure he wouldn't take money to let you watch him (them). Actually it takes more than one person, you need a good spotter too, and they have to know how to effectively communicate. I didn't say that it's easy and I didn't say that every shot is a hit. I did say that they do it. And it's not just one person who I'm saying can do it, there is a group of them who get together for this type of extreme shooting, and they love it.
    come on chicken eggs,golfballs,at a 1000,please,invite me,iwant to see this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast