Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Thinking about moving to Philly, but I love guns

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAR View Post
    Yeah but add in Philly car insurance rates and you are behind again. Plus paying for parking.
    Is car ins that much higher than adjacent counties?

It's true about parking (but only a factor downtown -- less so where there is street parking), but you could actually live in Philly and not need a car, so there's that.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Because not everyone has your exact set of preferences?
    Yup... there will always be a small percentage of the population who enjoys smearing themselves with feces too.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAR View Post
    Yeah but add in Philly car insurance rates and you are behind again. Plus paying for parking.
    I live in Northern Liberties, street parking is free. My car insurance is $800/year (12 year old car, liability only). My house has a 10-year abatement so I'm paying $495/year the past 3 years and another 7 to go. After that, it will probably be around $2500. My friends in Bucks has a house worth 2/3 the price, tax is $8000, car insurance is a bit more, but for a newer car and full coverage. Their sales tax is 1% less, but I do most of my shopping online. So as you can see, it's all relative and knowing what you can get by with.

We can play the offset cost game all day long, but like any city, the cost of living is always more than outside of the city, but really not significantly more compared to more well-to-do areas. We can and don't mind to afford it. In return, we get to enjoy our lifestyle. Philly, just like any city, it isn't for everyone. Philly is what it is and there are many reasons why people love it. I've typed those reasons times and over, so I'm not gonna bother any more. If you don't like it here, no one is stopping you to move (not you specifically PhillyAR), if you don't want to come here, go somewhere else or stay home.

Al

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    Yup... there will always be a small percentage of the population who enjoys smearing themselves with feces too.
    Seems like there's more of that out in the rural areas. Less animal products here in the city.

(Philadelphia County)

I think it's uncalled for and offensive to compare the many people who enjoy living in Philly with people who enjoy scat. You don't like Philly, we get it, but let's be a little more respectful of people who have difference in preference to their choice of a place to live. We don't shit on the choice you made of where you live, I'm unsure why the hate and the shit on ours. Get over yourself.

Al

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Seems like there's more of that out in the rural areas. Less animal products here in the city.
    I heard Ned Beatty is still running around in the woods out there.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I think it's uncalled for and offensive to compare the many people who enjoy living in Philly with people who enjoy scat. You don't like Philly, we get it, but let's be a little more respectful of people who have difference in preference to their choice of a place to live. We don't shit on the choice you made of where you live, I'm unsure why the hate and the shit on ours. Get over yourself.

Al
    You must be new (sarcastic)

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yo_man_81 View Post
    I have some questions for members who live or lived in Philly.

My wife and I are considering moving to philly, society hill area. I have a PA LTCF and a Utah Carry Permit and conceal carry regularly. I plan on adding tactical firearms to my collection in the near term. I know that Philly city council has no qualms about passing illegal gun laws and then using taxpayer money to defend them in court against the taxpayers. I've also heard and read, Philly cops aren't too fond of people lawfully carrying firearms(especially Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey), open or concealed, and have confiscated lawfully carried firearms from permit holders (security personnel and LTCF). So my concerns are:

1) Do Philly cops enforce these illegal gun laws, or is it more for PR and symbolism? (i.e. pass a assault weapons ban that includes guns I have, or ban on conceal carry) I'm pretty sure there are gonna be new illegal ordinances passed every year. Do I need to worry?

2) I'm concerned that if there were a social crisis, riot, whatever, the Police would have no reservations about carrying out an order to collect guns, just as they did in New Orleans after Katrina. Thoughts?

3) How can I expect to be treated if for some reason I have a run in with a cop who discovers I'm conceal carrying? I listened to that audio of the pafoa member was open carrying in philly and got arrested. If that's any indication of how I would get treated as a conceal carry guy, that doesn't sound so great. I would be completely compliant and respectful if it happened.

My wife thinks I'm paranoid, but I am a student of history and study the gun control methods tyrants have used and how its ended up in an unarmed helpless people. I really like the society hill area of philly, but the anti gun tyrants who run the place got me worried. Am I paranoid? Or am I rightfully concerned? Thanks guys (and gals).

1) No they can't enforce them the state gov't ruled the city ordinances illegal

2) I believe that they'd have there handful with the enormous amout of felons who are looting

3) Concealed carry most cops won't even notice even if your printing in summer clothing you'll be fine with that but open carrying in the city cops and most others will freak out and call PWG due to their lack of knowledge on gun laws.

..just my 2 cents

(Wayne County)

Some people might like to socialize with other people more than livestock and their gun collection haha just saying

Personally you could not pay me enough to live in any city.
    But then I've never been much for culture. (except maybe gun culture)
    I know....skocking
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast