Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: First Bad OC Encounter

I wasn't there, but I'm not calling the cops over some kook that's all mouth.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    1. Why do you refer to your gun as "my Kimber?" That's like women who refer to their cars as "my Volvo." Is it because it's a $1000 Kimber and not a $175 Kel-Tec?
    Because it tells us which gun he had with him. It is just information. Why is this a problem for you?

2. Why would anybody here suggest calling the cops? Seems like most here prefer to AVOID LEO encounters whenever possible. Sounds like this was a case where calling the cops was quite avoidable.
    The suggestion was given because this guy threatened to assault him. Our normal avoidance is due to police failure to follow laws pertaining to firearms, not because cops have no purpose.

That said, I do not see this as cop-worthy, since the kook made no physical advances. He was just annoying.
    Last edited by MischaBurns; June 19th, 2010 at 05:31 PM.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Delaware County)

If some ever asks if you're an asshole the response is always: No, I'm a dick.

There is a difference.

(Chester County)

I see a few problems with this interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    The bad one went as follows. I was walking by a guy that was older than me and I heard "Are you an asshole". I ignored this than he points at me and said Loudly. "Are you an asshole". I stopped and said what? He asked "Are you a cop". I said "no". He said "So you are an Asshole even though it is legal to carry that". He pointed to my Kimber.
    What gain will you get by responding to this person? Do you honestly think that he is going to change his mind because you do not blow up in his face like he expects?

IMO, the point where you turned further than needed to establish that he was not doing anything nutty, and engaged this person---you failed. If this guy wants to walk around being an idiot then let him. Why make a scene?

At no time did I go near to my Kimber. I never thought of getting near it.
    This statement troubles me a little. In my experience when someone mentions their firearm in a recollection of a situation, even in a sort of null way, they DID think about it. Personally I would have thought about it the instant I realized what was going on. Being aware of your surroundings means being aware of yourself as well.

My wife was not with me when this happened. Due to the reaction from when I told her what happened, I am glad she was not there. She was not happy. This just happened 1 hour ago.
    This is funny. I feel for you here...

2. Why would anybody here suggest calling the cops? Seems like most here prefer to AVOID LEO encounters whenever possible. Sounds like this was a case where calling the cops was quite avoidable.
    This also struck me as odd, that we would purposely bring in LE. It seems the general consensus of the thread is that the OP handled the situation properly. I disagree and by calling LE it would only complicate the situation as well as fuel the stigma.

People... we can do better..

To the OP, I am not trying at all to indicate that your actions were "wrong". Even you admit that you did not handle it right. Rep sent for stepping up to the plate!

(Monroe County)

1. Why do you refer to your gun as "my Kimber?" That's like women who refer to their cars as "my Volvo." Is it because it's a $1000 Kimber and not a $175 Kel-Tec?

ANSWERS IMO:

1. Informational purposes. Plain and simple. It would be like me saying My sigma or XD. Or someone else saying My Sig229 or G26.

2. Because the guy threatened assault, however some LEOs have a SERIOUS problem with those of us who choose to carry be it open OR concealed. AVOIDING LE is not really what I would call it, as most of us dont really have problems with them. You get the occasional dumbass who tries the YOU HAVE TO COVER THAT CAUSE I SAID SO or some bulls^!T like that. However this was not LEO worthy, OP did not get smacked, just got called a name by some douche-bag in a store who obviously knows 2 things. 1 - OC is legal 2 - He can invoke his right to free speech to say he does not like it and call OP an asshole. Granted, NOT smart with the name calling as it is childish and threatening to smack someone is just plain stupid. Knowing that OC is legal, he should have just kept his opinion to himself...

(Venango County)

Just have to say, you handled yourself a whole lot better than the majority of others would have. And, great job in not clocking the moron. I sent rep for that. On a second note:

Quote Originally Posted by svltrack View Post

IMO, the point where you turned further than needed to establish that he was not doing anything nutty, and engaged this person---you failed. If this guy wants to walk around being an idiot then let him. Why make a scene?

He really didn't engage the guy. Personally, I would have turned around too. More than likely I would have been giving him some choice words, but I don't think turning around constitutes engaging anyone.

This statement troubles me a little. In my experience when someone mentions their firearm in a recollection of a situation, even in a sort of null way, they DID think about it. Personally I would have thought about it the instant I realized what was going on. Being aware of your surroundings means being aware of yourself as well.

Everyone thinks about their side arm. I think about mine when I get dressed, when I walk down the road, when I am at the grocery store. It should always be on your mind in some way. Situational awareness. And, I think he also mentioned it due to the countless threads of "I almost had to draw, someone called me a dork!", and the like. To often, "some" of us think we need to draw over the slightest of things. Besides, had he not said that, I bet it would have been less than 5 minutes before someone asked "Did you draw on him?"

This is funny. I feel for you here...

This also struck me as odd, that we would purposely bring in LE. It seems the general consensus of the thread is that the OP handled the situation properly. I disagree and by calling LE it would only complicate the situation as well as fuel the stigma.

Might as well use them for what they are made for. If someone threatens me, they have two options. They take care of it, or I take care of it. Granted, taking care of it might be walking away. But let the LEOs do their job, rather than hassling everyone.
    !
    Bold is mine.

B2Luv2Hunt... good job, + rep inbound. About how old would you say the poopyhead guy was that threatened you?

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    B2Luv2Hunt... good job, + rep inbound. About how old would you say the poopyhead guy was that threatened you?
    He was a middle to late 50's poopyhead.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Monroe County)

To the OP, B2: I went to rep you for this, but the damn rep nazis...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    He really didn't engage the guy. Personally, I would have turned around too. More than likely I would have been giving him some choice words, but I don't think turning around constitutes engaging anyone.
    He did engage the guy when he made his comment. Turning around to see what is going on would have been just that, he took it a step futher.

Would you seriously stoop to the level of this jackass? Again.. do you think that there will be a miracle and by you chewing him out he will have a new found respect and change his ideals? The guy is clearly jaded and has excess angst. Unless you have magical powers over his mind I really do not see this happening or any positive reaction to come about. Sir, with nothing but respect to you... I would pick your battles a litte better.

The correct way to handle this end of story is to walk away. The OP knows it and says so. The reason I posted in this thread is because I read the posts commending his actions. Though I have respect for him to admit his wrong, the way this was handled was wrong.

Everyone thinks about their side arm. I think about mine when I get dressed, when I walk down the road, when I am at the grocery store. It should always be on your mind in some way. Situational awareness. And, I think he also mentioned it due to the countless threads of "I almost had to draw, someone called me a dork!", and the like. To often, "some" of us think we need to draw over the slightest of things. Besides, had he not said that, I bet it would have been less than 5 minutes before someone asked "Did you draw on him?"
    I agree some might have asked if he had drawn. We are on the same page here, my post indicates this.

My initial post should have been more clear. The OP in my opinion possibly had a momentary lapse in composure and un-hostering the firearm was considered if only for a half second.

Might as well use them for what they are made for. If someone threatens me, they have two options. They take care of it, or I take care of it. Granted, taking care of it might be walking away. But let the LEOs do their job, rather than hassling everyone.Bold is mine.
    Again, with nothing respect given to you for writing your opinion. I could not disagree further. Calling LE in an instance like this is a waste of their time and only makes us look like we cannot handle a situation. I do not fault you for wanting to cover your ass when it comes to this society we live in. I do however hope that you use better judgement. "They take care of it, or I take care of it" ? Really... ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast