Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: How do you release the slide.

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Push slide stop with strong hand thumb.

56 39.72%
  • Push slide stop with weak hand thumb.

15 10.64%
  • Sling shot, if right handed or with left/ambi controls if left handed.

43 30.50%
  • I'm a lefty, with right handed controls and I have to sling shot.

6 4.26%
  • Other.

21 14.89%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: How do you release the slide on reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu57 View Post
    Weak hand over slide palm down on the top rear of slide just in front of the rear sights. Where I learned to shoot a sling shot or using the slide release earned you push ups.
    Whoever made you do push ups because of this is an idiot. So, if your support hand is injured and can't be used, then what? Gee, the slide release would have been a good method to at least learn, instead of being made to do push ups.

There are several ways to release the slide; overhand, sling shot, slide release. Know them all, use the one that you prefer.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't even understand the question being asked. If I'm dry firing I don't have a magazine in there because the slide would lock back every time I racked it and that'd be a pain in the ass. At least with my handgun, that's how it works. So I don't put a magazine in. Too bad this thing has a striker instead of a hammer, I like cocking hammers.

Oh, and when I grab the dick, I mean the slide, I get a firm grip over the top like I'm holding my dick.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Whoever made you do push ups because of this is an idiot. So, if your support hand is injured and can't be used, then what? Gee, the slide release would have been a good method to at least learn, instead of being made to do push ups.

There are several ways to release the slide; overhand, sling shot, slide release. Know them all, use the one that you prefer.
    I also like the "hammer the mag in really hard so the slide trips method".

Lycanbonus!thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    The slide stop is just that, a slide stop. Yes it can be used as a slide release but it's a fine motor skill.
    -- Chuck

From Todd Green

When performing a slidelock reload, do you use the slide release lever or do you pull the slide back and release it?

Short answer: Both ways work.

Long answer:

The main benefit of using the slide release lever is that it is substantially faster. In a fight, if your gun is empty and you need to reload that means you've already fired a number of shots and it wasn't enough. So it goes without saying, time is of the essence. Faster is good.

The main benefit of racking the slide is that it's nearly universal. Whether you're right-handed or left-handed, whether you're using a 1911 or Glock or Kel-Tec, pulling the slide back and releasing it is going to work.

You will often hear that racking the slide is also "more reliable" under stress. This is a myth. As soon as you hear someone starting to talk about gross motor skills and fine motor skills, you are officially justified in tuning out. Both racking the slide and hitting the slide release are fine motor skills.

Fine and gross motor skills are terms from child development and child psychology. They are pretty clearly defined.

A gross motor skill is one that uses only major muscle groups, like arms, legs, & trunk. Walking is a gross motor skill.

A fine motor skill is any movement that requires smaller or more precise muscles. Pointing, grabbing, even squeezing with your hands are all fine motor skills. Basically, anything that uses your fingers is a fine motor skill.

So:
    Hitting slide release lever = fine motor skill

Overhand racking slide = fine motor skill

Slingshotting slide = fine motor skill

Banging head against wall after hearing this debate the 1,000th time = gross motor skill

Sources:
    babycenter.com

Developmental Psychology Newsletter

Wikipedia

What it boils down to is this: if you have enough "motor control" under stress to press the trigger properly and press the mag release button properly, then you are equally capable of hitting the slide release lever if the lever is properly sized and located.

So the long answer is: If you can reach the slide release lever comfortably without a major shift in your grip, it is faster and less fumble-prone than racking the slide manually. If you cannot hit the lever reliably, then racking the slide is a better option.

(York County)

Depends on the gun. Hi-point doesn't have a slide release, I pull the slide back with the support hand and it releases. Bersa I use strong hand thumb to trip the slide release. The Bersa has quite a few rounds through it and about half the time the act of sending a new loaded mag home releases the slide and chambers a round (without actually tripping the slide release with my thumb)

III% - Stand and be counted

To close the slide on the Beretta 92FS/M9: (Look familiar? )

Reach over the slide, thumb toward your chest grasping the slide behind the ejection port with the meat of the hand and all four fingers. Curl your finger tips under the slide-mounted safety decocker to retain it in the Fire position. Cycle the slide while rolling the pistol to point the ejection port down.

Use this same motion to load, unload, clear the pistol. Tap, Roll, and Rack. No thinking. Just reaction. Same motion every time.

This is not "Sling shot" which just uses the thumb and index finger to pinch the slide and try to cycle it -- a weak grip on the slide and requires rotating the pistol or other gymnastics to perform.

Works with any pistol with the stupid slide mounted safety that functions like the Beretta 92FS. My Berettas are 92G models. No safety.

-- Chuck

(Philadelphia County)

Also helps to hit the rear of the slide to make sure its fully in battery or whatever the term is.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post

With only one hand functioning I use my boot, belt or other solid object and push against the rear metal night sites to get the gun in battery. Another reason to get rid of plastic factory sites. Slide stop lever if I really need the extra speed or have absolutely no other method.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Lawrence County)

I don't think it's a big deal how you choose to do it, but I can't justify the extra time to go over the top. It also puts my hand close to the ejection port and I've seen what happens to a hand when a primer hits the ejector and blows the case out the side.

Lycanpickyourpoisonthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

ah yes, but if you want to become a professional gunfighter, such as Sylvester Stallone or Mark Wahlberg or something, you should reload with the last round still chambered, therefore negating any reason to rack the slide, or use the slide stop.

ok, where's my trophy.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast