Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: What's a good car storage option when I can't carry at Work?

Quote Originally Posted by amagi View Post
    I work for a Fortune 500 Company. I am not at liberty to say which one on a public forum (I hope you understand). However, it is a corporate kind of business park I work at. I don't believe they own the grounds where I park my car and they are just leasing the building, they don't on it.

They have no policy straight up against it, however I am sure I might get myself fired if it were to get stolen. I don't think they'd break into my car (one of the cheapest ones in the lot, espically when it is in between an AUDI or a BMW).

I know I am taking a chance, but I just started there and it is very difficult to find out who to ask. I don't mention carrying or talk about guns, as it would obviously make people uncomfortable.

I am going to make super sure that if the car does get burglarized, and that if the firearm does get stolen I or my company are not liable.
    I'm in almost exactly the same situation minus the car (public transportation is way cheaper than parking where I work). I've been considering a locking briefcase that I don't open at work. Maybe one with a concealed compartment, though my minimal searching hasn't come up with anything that impresses me yet. My workplace doesn't do searches, so I think that will end up being my best route.

Quote Originally Posted by Resh View Post
    I'm in almost exactly the same situation minus the car (public transportation is way cheaper than parking where I work). I've been considering a locking briefcase that I don't open at work. Maybe one with a concealed compartment, though my minimal searching hasn't come up with anything that impresses me yet. My workplace doesn't do searches, so I think that will end up being my best route.

Just a few for you to loook at:
    Casual look

Full-grain leather

Custom leather

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    Casual look

Full-grain leather

Custom leather
    Thanks! I'd spent 30-45 minutes clicking through websites without finding anything that as interesting as those. Apparently my google-fu was weak. hehe I'm leaning toward the custom leather version. Looks nice and the locking CCW compartment is a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Resh View Post
    Thanks! I'd spent 30-45 minutes clicking through websites without finding anything that as interesting as those. Apparently my google-fu was weak. hehe I'm leaning toward the custom leather version. Looks nice and the locking CCW compartment is a great addition.
    You're welcome. I'm the Google Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    The point is that the very first time you mentioned firearms at work, you were taking a big chance. What if the owner was vehemently anti-gun? Pennsylvania is an at-will employment state, where you can be fired for virtually anything, at any time, with very limited exceptions. I'm not sure whether Delaware is also an at-will employment state.

Firearms are enough of a polarizing topic that I wouldn't consider them work conversation.
    Again, if I got dressed-down for talking about guns at work I would quit. It's liberty or death, not liberty or compromising your personal safety for a job. Maybe I'm just a psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by electronics View Post
    Again, if I got dressed-down for talking about guns at work I would quit. It's liberty or death, not liberty or compromising your personal safety for a job. Maybe I'm just a psychopath.
    Many of us have chosen careers that don't give us that luxury. Objectively, I probably accept 1000x more risk of "death or grave bodily injury" if I choose to ride my motorcycle to work as I do going unarmed that day. We ALL make our choices and take our chances every day.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Many of us have chosen careers that don't give us that luxury. Objectively, I probably accept 1000x more risk of "death or grave bodily injury" if I choose to ride my motorcycle to work as I do going unarmed that day. We ALL make our choices and take our chances every day.
    I am by no means decrying the choices of others here, I apologized if it was taken as such. I merely am voicing my personal opinion, but can certainly respect another's. I live in a rural area and almost everyone I encounter on a regular basis is just fine with guns, so talking about them is generally OK let alone after you get to know someone. And yes we do all take our chances; I don't walk around all day every day with full body armor and an AR-15 because I necessarily compromise to live my life in a semi-normal and comfortable way. I'm not a soldier, the likelihood of me being in a fatal encounter in my entire lifetime is low, so I do what I am comfortable with which is CCing a gun and a BUG regularly. I just hope while I'm out and about I never end up in a situation where I need an AR-15 to defend my or another's life, as I am sure you never end up in a situation where you will need your pistol for the same purpose but don't have it.

See? We can get along!

I have a similar situation in that no firearms allowed at work. So what I do is drop the mag, lock the pistol in the car and take the mag and ammo into my office. That way if someone does break into the car and steal the pistol they will have to acquire a mag and some ammo before they can use it. I considered a safe in the car, but it already has an alarm, so question becomes just how far do you go. If the car gets stolen they have the pistol with or without a safe. Only time the safe might help is if they rummage through the car while the alarm is squawking. If that happens then I'll file an insurance claim.
    Last edited by indianjack; July 11th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    Casual look

Full-grain leather

Custom leather
    As a heads up, for the two links that point to ccwsupply.biz, I got to the part where I entered my CC number and was about to submit then paused and googled the company. In the first couple of pages of results they had a lot of complaints about them not actually sending what was purchased and people saying that they were a scam site. Nice as the bag is it wasn't worth the risk to me.

I'll likely hit up the securityprousa.com from the first link. No locking zipper, but even searching their URL with the word complaint I didn't notice anything negative.

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    I have a similar situation in that no firearms allowed at work. So what I do is drop the mag, lock the pistol in the car and take the mag and ammo into my office. That way if someone does break into the car and steal the pistol they will have to acquire a mag and some ammo before they can use it. I considered a safe in the car, but it already has an alarm, so question becomes just how far do you go. If the car gets stolen they have the pistol with or without a safe. Only time the safe might help is if they rummage through the car while the alarm is squawking. If that happens then I'll file an insurance claim.
    best post in the thread. i do this as well. i own a locking metal gun box with a steel cable, but it doesn't fit under the seat or in the glovebox. transferring it to the trunk every day doesn't make me think it's any safer, unless it was bolted to the trunk, which would be a pain in the ass to transfer the gun to (many coworkers park in the same garage... don't need them saying "hey blue, were you playing with a gun in your car before work this morning?" or even worse, running to the office saying "i just saw blue with a handgun in his car, and he's headed this way!".

as a lawyer, i feel perfectly comfortable following the steps you have outlined. i lock my gun in the glovebox without the mag, and i lock the car with the alarm on. beyond that, wtf? remember people, there isn't a law against locking your gun in your car. in fact, there is a law that makes sure your wife or other person wouldn't get in trouble if they use the car when you have left your gun in it and they don't have a LTCF. that should tell you something. just be smart.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast