Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 25 of 86 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by musclebound View Post
    I have a question about carrying on my college campus. I read most of this thread and earlier it was states that since they are private property it's not against the law to carry on them, but i might risk the chance of expulsion. Is there any difference with a state university. I'm moving to State college fall semester and I want to make sure i'm totally legal.
    No restrictions lawfully, but you could still be subject to expulsion as part of the terms.

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    ... 2b. Within 1000ft of a school unless you have a license/permit issued by the state in which the school is located ...
    I live in, and have a valid CCW permit from, North Carolina. Pa has reciprocity with NC. Does that cover me if I am driving past a school while on a visit to Philly, or does the wording in 2b above really mean you must have a Pa issued permit?

Thanks - NC

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by NCShooter View Post
    I live in, and have a valid CCW permit from, North Carolina. Pa has reciprocity with NC. Does that cover me if I am driving past a school while on a visit to Philly, or does the wording in 2b above really mean you must have a Pa issued permit?

Thanks - NC
    You must have a license issued by the state in which the school is located. So, you would need a PA license to be within 1000ft of a PA school. Same as if a PA resident was near a school in NC, we would need a NC license. The ATF is the agency that enforces that section, and they have given a open letter stating as I have explained.

There are exemptions though for those transporting for certain activities and under FOPA. And fortunately, that law is loosely enforced. The only few examples I could find were when the law was prosecuting someone for some other infraction like dealing drugs or or other bad activities.

(Allegheny County)

an interesting read on the constitutionality of the "revised" (not actually substantively revised at all) GFSZA for those who might be interested:

http://www.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.p...+L.+J.+637+pdf
    F*S=k

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    an interesting read on the constitutionality of the "revised" (not actually substantively revised at all) GFSZA for those who might be interested:

http://www.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.p...+L.+J.+637+pdf
    so....if i'm reading all that correctly....if you live in and buy your pistol in the same state that is was manufactured, the GFSZ doenst hold up...based on the thinking of Congress?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    so....if i'm reading all that correctly....if you live in and buy your pistol in the same state that is was manufactured, the GFSZ doenst hold up...based on the thinking of Congress?
    well, if you are in the state you live in...assuming you have a carry permit/license from your home state...the GFSZA doesn't apply to you anyway.

so, again assuming you have a carry permit/license from your home state, the whole discussion is only relevant if you are in a different state--which most likely means you will have brought the gun with you across state lines. of course, carrying a gun across state lines isn't really "commerce among the several states", but the new version has never gotten to SCOTUS, so we don't really know how they would rule.

if i remember correctly, there is actually conflicting case law on the circuit court level regarding the new version. i think one circuit (correctly, imho) ruled that it was still unconstitutional and another circuit (incorrectly, imho) ruled that it as constitutional.

gunlawyer or peteg or some other lawyer on this forum posted references to the two cases once long ago. i believe in both those cases, the GFSZA violation was really just a side issue, though. i don't think there has yet been a clean case of someone who was not otherwise doing anything illegal being arrested just for violating the GFSZA since the new version was passed and my guess is there never will be as not many local/state LEOs are really out looking to enforce federal laws, federal prosecutors typically have bigger fish to fry, and i doubt any federal prosecutor is likely to want to be the one to get it struck down...but, who knows...

i will say i pay absolutely no attention the GFSZA (it is clearly unconstitutional even if the courts ultimately do say otherwise...and, so, f' 'em). if i am in another state where i am allowed by that states laws to carry within 1,000 feet of a school, i do. if i ever do get busted (which is highly unlikely since i carry concealed), i'll be forced to appeal it as high as the courts will take the case.

i'd be mildly suprised if SCOTUS ruled differently from how it did on the first version anyway. doing so would basically be saying to congress, "OK, anytime we find any laws you pass unconstitutional, all you have to do is add a sentence at the beginning saying that you think the commerce clause gives you the authority to do it, and then we will find the law constitutional." i doubt SCOTUS is going to want to neuter itself like that, but who knows--as i said, i would only be mildly surprised given that SCOTUS has definitely shown the ability to completely ignore what the constitution actually says as well as rational logic.

but, ultimately, this whole issue is still in "who knows?" land...
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before =( But heck if I'm gonna go through 25 pages to see.

Is an SBR considered a "Long gun"? If not, then what are the legalities concerning SBRs and concealed, open, and most particularly, vehicle carry?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBeast View Post
    Hey, sorry if this has been asked before =( But heck if I'm gonna go through 25 pages to see.

Is an SBR considered a "Long gun"? If not, then what are the legalities concerning SBRs and concealed, open, and most particularly, vehicle carry?

A SBR, SBS, and nearly all AOW's fall within the dimensions of a "firearm" under PA law. They are covered by by your LTCF and are regulated just the same as a handgun under the scope of carrying and transporting = which means, you need a license to carry them concealed and transport them in a vehicle.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A SBR, SBS, and nearly all AOW's fall within the dimensions of a "firearm" under PA law. They are covered by by your LTCF and are regulated just the same as a handgun under the scope of carrying and transporting = which means, you need a license to carry them concealed and transport them in a vehicle.
    Holy cow. And to think this I thought LTCF only covered handguns.

So if I got a SBR ar-15 (lets say 11.5'' barrel) and in some freakish way figured out a way to conceal it, that would be LEGAL?! And I'm JUST finding this out?!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBeast View Post
    Holy cow. And to think this I thought LTCF only covered handguns.

So if I got a SBR ar-15 (lets say 11.5'' barrel) and in some freakish way figured out a way to conceal it, that would be LEGAL?! And I'm JUST finding this out?!
    Yes, it would be legal. LTCF cover "firearms" by definition under PA law.

Page 25 of 86 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast