Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Have you ever bounced back from AR to AK and back?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    Now that I have an AR that can eat steel cased ammo, I am more inclined to keep both platforms and stockpile for both. Brass cased ammo is just too expensive
    Personally I prefer the AK platform but have been buying up ARs in the last year. I would keep both platforms if I were you. Although I don't trust the reliability of ARS as much as AK'S, I do appreciate the accuracy and the ability to interchange uppers and lowers. All my ARS run Steelcase. Stay away from Godien Tiger .223 though. I recently bought 2K rounds of it because it runs really well in x39 AKs. Apparently there is not enough force in the firing pins in ARs to make it reliable. 4 out of 5 rounds in three different ARs had primer strikes with no ignition. My 223 Savage bolt action is fine with it. The Brown Bear I got runs flawlessly in all my ARs. Two basic facts can be stated about both platforms. ARs are generally more accurate. AKS are generally more reliable. In reality they have different applications for different environments.

Steelerballs, I just posted about the GT .223 in the ammo section. I had the same issue with it in 2 ARs with milspec triggers and springs. I spent time searching the net reading old threads and reviews before I ordered it and saw nothing about hard primers, that is why I ordered it. Luckily it looks like SGammo is taking care of me.

I have gotten the itch to many times over th eyears to get an AK to go with my ARs. What keeps me away is that I have to spend all kinds of money on new mags and stock up on ammo as I don't stock 7.62x30 or 5.45x39. My friends have semi and fully automatic AKs which I have used but the AR just seems to fit me better.

One thing I learned a while ago is, if you sell a gun you'll most likely regret it. Don't sell the ARs to buy and AK and vice versa.

(Armstrong County)

When i switched to favor the AK, I never bounced back. Don't get me wrong, I still like my AR's, but I like to tell people that my AK's are my workhorses, my AR's are my show horses. I just tend to favor the AK more because, imho, it is easier and cheaper to get AR accuracy out of an AK, than to get AK reliability out of an AR

Ha haa. So true. I like ARS ...Love my AKs!

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Steelerballs, I just posted about the GT .223 in the ammo section. I had the same issue with it in 2 ARs with milspec triggers and springs. I spent time searching the net reading old threads and reviews before I ordered it and saw nothing about hard primers, that is why I ordered it. Luckily it looks like SGammo is taking care of me.

I have gotten the itch to many times over th eyears to get an AK to go with my ARs. What keeps me away is that I have to spend all kinds of money on new mags and stock up on ammo as I don't stock 7.62x30 or 5.45x39. My friends have semi and fully automatic AKs which I have used but the AR just seems to fit me better.

One thing I learned a while ago is, if you sell a gun you'll most likely regret it. Don't sell the ARs to buy and AK and vice versa.
    Same thing happened with me and the research. Lol. SG Ammo is an excellent company to deal with. Luckily I have been stockpiling 545x39 and 762x39 for years and my AK collection is where it needs to be. I'm a Newby to AR platform and am learning alot for sure. Both are really good investments.

I think I am just going to build an AR from scratch. If I do that, I will be more inclined to keep it

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    When i switched to favor the AK, I never bounced back. Don't get me wrong, I still like my AR's, but I like to tell people that my AK's are my workhorses, my AR's are my show horses. I just tend to favor the AK more because, imho, it is easier and cheaper to get AR accuracy out of an AK, than to get AK reliability out of an AR
    Don't fall into the myth that AR's are not reliable. Maybe some low end AR's, if you buy quality the reliability is there.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Don't fall into the myth that AR's are not reliable. Maybe some low end AR's, if you buy quality the reliability is there.
    That is true. Some of the testing and reviews over the years have shown not all AKs are created equal either.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I never once said ARs weren't reliable. I just said AKs were more reliable. Just like a corvette ZR1 is faster than a Corvette Z06. Does that mean a corvette Z06 is slow? God no.

And to solidify the opposite end of the spectrum, there is a false myth that AKs are not accurate. They are very much so, bit just as you said, you have to buy quality rifles. Is a WASR AK as accurate as a LWRC AR? God no. But I can say this much, I have 3 AR's (none of which are more economical ARs), and my SAM7 AK is more accurate than two of them (the third one is an omega SPR, so that's basically a David and Goliath comparison).

Aks are certainly accurate enough for most of my applications. If I want to shoot longer distances I would use my bolt actions in 7mm mag, .223 BB , and .308. I really enjoy my AKS in .308 (M77, V308 ) but won't get near the accuracy of my bolts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast